Please slow down the AI's start up routine to more realistic timings

Boneski

Hi devs great game products....long time player.

As the topic states please slow the AI down when they perform their cold start. There is no way for a human to keep up with them when we are cold starting and try to play as their wingman or a wingman in the flight of 3 as number 4 or element 2.

You load the game start the mission and they have started and by computer magic have run the checklist and have bounce while you as the human player is just getting startup clearance from tower.

I know we can program triggers to give more gap time. But it would be nice to have the AI do it as SOP.

I will also add a post about allowing a human player be able to play as a wingman in a 4 ship flight.

Thanks.

• Like 3

My mission is to fly, fight, and win. o-:|:-o What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

Although I expect ED is already working on this, as part of a general AI overhaul/upgrade, I very much support this wish :thumbup:

(Wrong sub-forum btw)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

+1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

To get at time when they are ready to fly,before them;Make a mission with F10 menu to make start the AI.

And select AI with"not controled" ticked.By this way you will be able to choose the moment when AI start.

Hi yes,

This is not what I'm on about. What is being suggested is much larger than that.

The point is to have the AI be more believable when it comes to ground handling ops.

The game devs spend alot of hours building a game that allows us to inject as much realism the player knows into their gaming system via optional checklist.

The suggestion here is to script the AI by default to appear more "human" by running an AI'ish checklist that has built in pauses during startup to simulate a more realistic AI start up.

Example when you watch Matt Wagner's F16 start up video or even the in game startup training there is a cadence there...pauses and wait times... it would be nice if the devs could add scripted wait times into the AI start up.

So for example a 4 ship AI lead flight has a hack time and the AI works the start sequence to meet that hack time. The AI flight lead does a comm flight check in and all the elements comm to lead Check ready to go.

So if the player gets the ability to fly as a non lead element... he or she has to comm to lead they are ready before the AI taxis out.

Currently the AI is in scrabble mode.

This makes sense because it makes ground path management and queuing less complex. They get the AI on and up as fast as possible.

My mission is to fly, fight, and win. o-:|:-o What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

• 4 weeks later...

I start up faster than the AI ;)

Campaigns like Red Flag etc also have a set time for taxi which is pretty generous, allowing everyone to start and then begin taxi as a flight.

So it’s not necessary to rewrite the AIs start script, just create the mission with set taxi times for various flights.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 3 weeks later...

It's not about a rewrite it's just another option or a tool for a mission builder to have in his or her tool bag. Keep it simple as possible if it's possible to do as pre-written function vs having jets spawn in or ai pilots magically spawn in.

Contacting a pilot and asking her how long does it take you to start up your (jet type) during a non-alert situation and adding that pause / wait time to the AI may not be all that hard. I mean the AI waits when we are set to flight lead so it's already in the code. 

I think that at the very least, the AI should account for INS alignment. Starting up the Mirage 2000C can be done really quickly, but INS takes about 8 minutes to align, so you'll be standing on the ramp, powered up and with lights on, but you'll only start the engine after 8 minutes. Other aircraft are similar, some of them (like the Viper or the A-10) will have the engine running while the INS gets its bearings.

I think that the other actions could be accomplished by adding a 30-60 second "buffer zone" to the INS alignment time, otherwise you can just go off that. When you get good at it, you'll notice it doesn't take all that much time to start up a jet sans INS. You flip some switches, turn on the engines, do a few BITs and set a few dials. Most of the time is punching in the INS data and waiting for it to align.

A "scramble" setting could be added, when the AI will ignore INS alignment and start up in one minute, and of course aircraft which don't have an INS would start faster, between one or two minutes. However, early jets needed to run their engine for a while to warm it up for flight. That should be included, too, and it should be possible to hear them do that.

• Like 2

Spot On,

Everything can be optional as some users as seen on some servers don't want to wait so the change can accommodate them.

What I would like to see eventually is AI flight leads. Yes we can do it now by joining as an element of a 3 ship being the forth ship.

But in the future I see the AI pilot skill actually meaning so much more. 

There was a game from back in the day called Chuck Yeager's Advance Flight Simulator: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Yeager's_Advanced_Flight_Trainer

So as a flight lead you can see how you could have the AI teach you how do stuff in the jet based on the settings.

So Realistic start up times would be key.