[USER ERROR] GBU-32(V)2/b Dropping short and missing

Alighierian

Issue:

- GBU-32(V)2/b, the mk83 JDAM, drops ~0.15-0.2nm short at HUD optimal launch distance

- The EHSD is missing the JDAM viable launch range circle (side note edit: further testing on my end showed the GBU-54 LJDAM is also missing them, but the GBU-38's still have the range circles) - fixed as of nov 4th's patch

Replication:

Step 1: Equip GBU-32(V)2/b's

Step 2: Set up JDAM targets (mark on map, load into computer, select desired targets)

Step 3: execute attack as normal

Result:

- No visible EHSD viable range markers as the GBU-38's have

- Launched at optimal range (100 on the HUD), the GBU-32 drops short of the intended target.

Track and clip:

I dropped two as comparison, one a tad late around 88 (earlier test was at ~100, also dropped short), and one around 50. The second one slapped the intended target with no effort, the first one tried to glide over but ran out of energy, dropping short.

Also added the log, but not sure if that part is done properly.

${1}

AV-8B GBU32.trk

dcs.log

As there was update yesterday, can you still replicate this? I did couple of attack yesterday with GBU-32s and they landed pretty much directly on top of the targets

The testing I did yesterday whilst learning the new operation method was mostly with the normal JDAM's and the laser version, which is showing the LAR on the EHSD now, so I slightly forgot about the mk83 JDAM. I'll give it a whirl and see if it's still bugged.

Edit: Just tested it with absolute coordinates (pre-loaded via map markers), and I might have slightly messed the first one, so that was partially inconclusive, but still appeared to be dropping short on the 2nd marker, which was correctly placed.

For the next bomb I used TOO targeting, using the laser for additional accuracy of the target location, and it dropped ~0.15nm short at optimal launch distance.

It does show the LAR circle on the EHSD now, though, so that part is functional.

9990563417699647488_20201105095109_1.thumb.png.49003b0cc35e58991dac2d0fa4bf2544.png

Locked target: the tank closest to the water. This angle is from after the strike, so it's furthest out from this view. Impact crater is visible between the crosshairs and the waterline.

9990563417699647488_20201105095153_1.thumb.png.80072a50d626a31bb444e3cffbe3dfc1.png

As is with the other posts regarding accuracy it is down to user error. You can see my trk here where all four 32s land. Suggest you practice your workflow more as it will help speed up slewing and dropping faster within a smaller window.

Marking as USER ERROR and moving to RESOLVED

GBU32all hitsTOO.trk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

As is with the other posts regarding accuracy it is down to user error. You can see my trk here where all four 32s land. Suggest you practice your workflow more as it will help speed up slewing and dropping faster within a smaller window.

Marking as USER ERROR and moving to RESOLVED

I can't open your replay for some reason, and it doesn't show up when I place it in my dcs OB tracks folder, where I still have another replay, which I do see in-game under Replays.

After some more testing, I'm not sure why it's happening. The issue isn't that they consistently drop short every time, only when I use TOO-targeted drop at the optimal launch distance, as indicated by the hud. However, even then I have had instances where it does land on target.

I modified one of the missions to start further away from the target zone, so I have plenty of time to set up for attacks.

Even with this controlled setup where I don't have to turn, I keep getting them land short.

I've tried to keep my speed around the 360knt, alt ~10k.

The video is from a run where I still had a few visual mods active, but disabling those to redo the tracks had no impact on this.

${1}

AV-8B GBU32-3.trk

AV-8B GBU32-2.trk

I can't open your replay for some reason, and it doesn't show up when I place it in my dcs OB tracks folder, where I still have another replay, which I do see in-game under Replays.

After some more testing, I'm not sure why it's happening. The issue isn't that they consistently drop short every time, only when I use TOO-targeted drop at the optimal launch distance, as indicated by the hud. However, even then I have had instances where it does land on target.

I modified one of the missions to start further away from the target zone, so I have plenty of time to set up for attacks.

Even with this controlled setup where I don't have to turn, I keep getting them land short.

I've tried to keep my speed around the 360knt, alt ~10k.

The video is from a run where I still had a few visual mods active, but disabling those to redo the tracks had no impact on this.

If you're on the discord, send me a PM when you are free and we'll get on and get you sorted. I'm certain that you aren't doing anything wrong in TOO but its how you're interpreting the HUD info thinking that the countdown ring shows you "optimal" drops. That is not the case, its more of an indicator to help you better deliver the weapon rather than a shoot que. Well talk about it later and ill explain it further

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem.  I can hit targets EVERY TIME with GBU-38, but GBU-32 always falls short. Release parameters (altitude, countdown release point) are pretty much the same.  Originally I noticed it with PP drops, but it happened with TOO as well.

The TRK attached (current (December) Open Beta uses simplest WP DESG method for acquiring targets.  I make 2 GBU-38 drops that are direct hits. Then a GBU-32 which falls short. Since GBU-38 drops are successful, I don't think it is USER error (but it is possible). With all three, I dropped when the "countdown" was around 65. I've dropped both bombs at >90 with same result. SHACK with J82 short with J83

ALL the symbology was there for both bomb types.

I couldn't play back ELMO's TRK. It played partially but never showed a drop and ended with the view off to ~8 o clock)

I realized that I have ONE mod loaded (DICE mod for setting Countermeasures) hope that doesn't affect playback. I THINK I have managed successful GBU-32 drops in the STABLE version, but I don't recall exactly how many times I actually used them.

EDIT: I went back to try with Stable version. WOW the GBU-32 was even FARTHER short.. not even in the ballpark.  GBU-38 SHACK..

EDIT 2: Tried again and was able to get hits with GBU-32 but, as opposed to GBU-38, I had to WAIT until the LAR counter was ~97

Edit 3: Tried with 2 targets in PP mode via F10 ATHS.  Released at 97. Both GBU-32 fell spectacularly short.

GBU32_short.trk

Edited by Recluse
Stable mode comment