Still harpoon damage

raelias

So I'm attaching a pic of a real-life post harpoon impact, since the launch of the AGM-84, its damage been like 1-3%, it does't look like 3% to me, numerous bugs were fixed with the harpoon and good job on that, but it's still pretty much useless since it deals no damage at all, It's one of my most anticipated weapons because I love anti-ship warfare but after many months (almost a year) this is still not fixed, ALL other anti-ship missile works fine and deals about 25%-50% damage to a ship like the Grisha, why does the harpoon has a firecracker for a warhead? It's been a very long time and I'm not a programer but it really doesn't seem like a super complex thing to fix, since this been reported so many times and it's fact I won't even bother with tracks for this report, hope you can take it to be fixed.

Thanks

9bd973bc2aadd73207e58831e5f99a0e.thumb.jpg.191026a823a1511affcc741412027839.jpg

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

Which is pretty silly, the Grisha is a small corvette displacing around 1000 tonnes maximum, a single Harpoon would almost certainly do critical if not extensive damage, even if the ship doesn't sink...

Here's what a Harpoon did to a Nanuchka II class (600-700 tonnes), which is smaller than the Grisha-V, but as you can see:

Burning_Libyan_Corvette.thumb.jpg.1a4da47aa5301b390d99a81b532cbd2a.jpg

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

raelias was saying the Harpoon does way less damage ("1-3%") than the other anti-ship missiles of the game. I proved hime wrong with the video above (~25%).

Now, you're saying -25% is not enough damage to represent the destructive potential of the Harpoon. Still, the ship in this picture is looking a lot like the one in my video, though DCS ships can't list so far.

More to the point: the real issue is ships with 1% health left are still able to attack and defend themselves, because DCS has a very old damage model inherited from its predecessors (LOMAC, and before that, Flanker). I bet you already know about it. And I bet you already know ED devs are currently working on a new realistic damage model. It will be progressively applied to all units of the game, starting with warbirds, then jets, then finally ships and ground vehicles. All things come to those who wait.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

raelias was saying the Harpoon does way less damage ("1-3%") than the other anti-ship missiles of the game. I proved hime wrong with the video above (~25%).

Well, the Grisha is a rather small ship. Against the bigger ships the Harpoon does indeed just do marginal damage. And even 25% against a Grisha is pretty bad. Compared to other anti ship missiles in DCS(e.g. RB-04) this damage output is abnormally small.

And untill ships recieve a real damage model, where various subsystems can be damaged, the Harpoon needs more damage output to make their effect more similar to real life.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

In the meantime, I use a very simple script in all my missions: when a ship is less than 80%, I set its AI off, and pop a message to announce its armament system is neutralized. That way all pilots are happy.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I've just tested it. AGM-84D and 84-E each take ~25% of a Grisha's lifebar.

Well that's better, I didn't realize it was improving, still, the damage is abnormally low compared to the other anti-ship missiles in game, I hope the devs continue to improve it over time

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf