Should I get a VR set and if so which one ?

jfri

Which are those settings ? Do you mean that some settings would affect the quality of the display on a 2D monitor but not in VR ?

[Heat blur] is one of those, isnt really made for VR I think, ahould be set to off.

I think [terrain textures] is almost not detectable from VR, so it can be set to low.

theres a lot about aettings but we can cover this when you have got the vr set.

theres some very useful links with info also.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

If it was me, I would go for the G2 and run it at half resolution mode until you have more horsepower to run it at full.

I have discovered another potential problem with the G2. It is stated that that it has adjustable IPD of 60-68 mm. I think I read a review of another VR unit with the same think and was told that if you are at or above the max valkue it could be a problem. There was instruction how to measure your IPD. And in my case arrived at about 72 mm I think. Could this be a dealbreaker for me ?

If you had an IPD of 72, you will have issues with many other VR Headset as well. Redo the measurement (maybe look up another method) just to make sure.

Many Headsets (Like the Rift S) dont even have a Hardware IPD adjustment.

IMHO, dont waste your time on the Oculus Quest 2.

Either pick up the HP Reverb G2 or the Valve Index.

Both of them have (should have -> G2) great sound as well. Nothing breaks immersive more than an empty soundstage. If you need to wear extra Earpods or a Headset over the unit, the wiring can be cumbersome.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

I have discovered another potential problem with the G2. It is stated that that it has adjustable IPD of 60-68 mm. I think I read a review of another VR unit with the same think and was told that if you are at or above the max valkue it could be a problem. There was instruction how to measure your IPD. And in my case arrived at about 72 mm I think. Could this be a dealbreaker for me ?

IPD Measure:

I have my values from the work, measured with state of the art systems. When I try the recommended mirror etc I get it quite wrong.

I tested an iPhone app [Eye Measure] and it actually gave me the correct IPD repeadetly.

I recommend using that app.

my friend had gotten values about 75 mm for pwn tests but the app said 70.7 mm. Quite big difference.

If you are well above 70 I dont know if you have any choises except Pimax. Spec say 75 mm I think, my 8KX goes to around 73mm and there is a electronic offset that probably can do the rest. Also, many seems to get best results with pimax if setting a ipd lower than actual= up to 75 should be fine.

I dont know but I guess the electronic ipd adjustment will be still there for Reverb G2 as it is a feature of WMR. Think there was a limit that could be overrided if tuning some .ini files for WMR.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

I dont know but I guess the electronic ipd adjustment will be still there for Reverb G2 as it is a feature of WMR. Think there was a limit that could be overrided if tuning some .ini files for WMR.

G2 has hardware IPD adjust from 60-68mm, The .ini override never worked!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

IPD Measure:

I have my values from the work, measured with state of the art systems. When I try the recommended mirror etc I get it quite wrong.

I tested an iPhone app [Eye Measure] and it actually gave me the correct IPD repeadetly.

I recommend using that app.

my friend had gotten values about 75 mm for pwn tests but the app said 70.7 mm. Quite big difference.

Do you mean that the recommended method of nearuring in front of a mirror (which I did) gives incorrect result ?

I don't have an Iphone

An optician or the app mentioned above give the best results. Mirror method is dodgy if you ask me. There are probably apps on Android as well.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Do you mean that the recommended method of nearuring in front of a mirror (which I did) gives incorrect result ?

I don't have an Iphone

Yes, these home tests seems quite unreliable.

For starters, anything you do when tou look at something close( lets say less than 8-10m) will not give you the far ipd but it gives something between far ipd( which is the ipd we normally mean when using this term.

The closer you look at something, the more inwards is the eye angled, giving a smaller ipd number than the actual distance between your eyes.

I’d say, in most cases the IPD you set in VR is the far IPD.

Together with this above we have the unreliable measurement.

Of course, if you have a VR Headset and dont know the IPD, it might be better to try to measure than to only do a wild guess.

I had my IPD measured since long time with quality equipment, I tried doing it as some of the recommendations, and didnt get that close.

I have 65.5mm, its 33.0+32.5mm from the middle/nose. Results 62-63 when doing mirror measure.

If you can get a app, i found at least one for android.

An optician or the app mentioned above give the best results. Mirror method is dodgy if you ask me. There are probably apps on Android as well.

Yes. I have 65.5 and the app I used also gave me 65.5, repeatedly. I did look far away during the app measerement. It was possible to get the value a bit off if I looked close.

Yes, these home tests seems quite unreliable.

For starters, anything you do when tou look at something close( lets say less than 8-10m) will not give you the far ipd but it gives something between far ipd( which is the ipd we normally mean when using this term.

The closer you look at something, the more inwards is the eye angled, giving a smaller ipd number than the actual distance between your eyes.

I’d say, in most cases the IPD you set in VR is the far IPD.

Together with this above we have the unreliable measurement.

Of course, if you have a VR Headset and dont know the IPD, it might be better to try to measure than to only do a wild guess.

I had my IPD measured since long time with quality equipment, I tried doing it as some of the recommendations, and didnt get that close.

I have 65.5mm, its 33.0+32.5mm from the middle/nose. Results 62-63 when doing mirror measure.

If you can get a app, i found at least one for android.

So if my mirror method is giving to large value I am fine if the opposite is the case very bad. To me it seem that measuring in front of a mirror (I used a caliper) would likely be more accurate than an App.

When I searched for those Apps on Android tablet I only found payware and the free one was not good. Which one did you find ?

So if my mirror method is giving to large value I am fine if the opposite is the case very bad. To me it seem that measuring in front of a mirror (I used a caliper) would likely be more accurate than an App.

When I searched for those Apps on Android tablet I only found payware and the free one was not good. Which one did you find ?

Ieyeque PDcheck.

I didnt have that good luck with the mirror ipd measurement, still I knew my real ipd so I think I would have it easier than not knowing.

the app I used say ipd within 0.5 mm accuracy and my result was exactly the same as my real ipd.

Ieyeque PDcheck.

I didnt have that good luck with the mirror ipd measurement, still I knew my real ipd so I think I would have it easier than not knowing.

the app I used say ipd within 0.5 mm accuracy and my result was exactly the same as my real ipd.

You meant EyeQue PDCheck ? That cost $13 also there was a notice that this App might not be compatible with my unit

You meant EyeQue PDCheck ? That cost $13 also there was a notice that this App might not be compatible with my unit

OK, it looked free for at least iphone.

didnt DL as I bith know my ipd since before and already have the euemeasure app thats seems giving proper results.

My friend had measured hes ipd to about 75 mm and because of this had excluded all VR Headsets except pimax (8KX). When we did measure him with the app it was 70.7 and thats much lower and probably a lot more vr headsets would be possible to use for him.

Just saying that a improper measurement can lure one to make the wrong decision.

Of course 72 mm is possible, your measurement could be correct. That would take you to the 99 percentile for ipd.

Once you go VR, you will never want to go back to 2D. Unless you get motion sickness from VR that is...

Common misconception I think. I had a Rift S for 2 months and an (2nd Hand) Index and a Reverb G1 for about 2 weeks either and went back to 2D in spring and am happy with that decision. And I had no problems with sickness, but only with SDE, unsharp image (could not read DSMS in A-10C well or spot an airfield 8 miles out) or an image being only nice in the middle (Reverb G1). But Im giving the G2 a try, since this might cure most of the concerns I had with the G1.

Anyway, having a I5-9600K and a 2070Super, running the G1 with 100% SS was pretty fine; but I had som really bad stutters (~0,5s!!) now and then, which I did not have with the Rift S or the Index. Did not take the time to find out, what did cause this exactly since other problems pretty soon made it clear, I would not keep the Reverb. But my guess is, that the Reberb might have needed too much VRAM at times…

Anyway, I think your setup will run the Rfit S with moderate settings quite well, but will have problems with the Index. Using settings on the Index, that felt reasonably smooth, gave me an image quality, that was very much like the Rift S, so no real gain here.

Since I ordered the G2 back in july, Im positive to receive it in maybe 2 weeks. My wife gave me the order, to keep this headset for at least 2 months before reselling. But Im positiv that the G2 could be my final VR-brakethrough. But the prospect of staying in 2D is not dreadful to me anyway..

OK, it looked free for at least iphone.

didnt DL as I bith know my ipd since before and already have the euemeasure app thats seems giving proper results.

My friend had measured hes ipd to about 75 mm and because of this had excluded all VR Headsets except pimax (8KX). When we did measure him with the app it was 70.7 and thats much lower and probably a lot more vr headsets would be possible to use for him.

Just saying that a improper measurement can lure one to make the wrong decision.

Of course 72 mm is possible, your measurement could be correct. That would take you to the 99 percentile for ipd.

But from what I have read here it seem that the mirror method likely gives IPD higher than what it actually is. And if so I am propably fine with the G2

FFS ... go to your optician and ask them!

Yep, I concur. Just go there and let them check your eyes out. 5 min at the optician and you know the values. :)

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

As has been said a zillion times in this thread already. Use an app as an alternative to going to an optician. They give accurate results, and are a lot cheaper than paying for an eye test!

Why are we even still discussing this?

As has been said a zillion times in this thread already. Use an app as an alternative to going to an optician. They give accurate results, and are a lot cheaper than paying for an eye test!

Why are we even still discussing this?

Yes, all three latest posters is right.

Two options, from which one isnt an option if you ask me:

-Get an accurate IPD number to be able to make a safe decision and no risk of throwing alotta’ money in the lake.

-Or save $13 and buy VR Headset on vague data, and risk to make a expensive faulty choise.

-Get an accurate IPD number to be able to make a safe decision and no risk of throwing alotta’ money in the lake.

-Or save $13 and buy VR Headset on vague data, and risk to make a expensive faulty choise.

Actually I have another option. Buy the VR headset. If it turn out that I can't use it return it for no additional cost within 30-60 days.

Only question I might ask here is if it turn out that my IPD is to large for the headset how will I notice it ?

your vision will be blury or you will get double vision ...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Another option maybe. A while ago I got terminal glasses through my job and then I went through an eye examination. I have been able to receive a excel doc over these results. In this doc are information like

RightPdNear = 34

RightPdFar = 32

LeftPdNear = 34

LeftPdFar = 32

Am I right to guess that this means that my IPD is 34+34=68 or 32+32=64 ? If so I am fine for the G2 and need no App

Another option maybe. A while ago I got terminal glasses through my job and then I went through an eye examination. I have been able to receive a excel doc over these results. In this doc are information like

RightPdNear = 34

RightPdFar = 32

LeftPdNear = 34

LeftPdFar = 32

Am I right to guess that this means that my IPD is 34+34=68 or 32+32=64 ? If so I am fine for the G2 and need no App

According to those numbers your far ipd is 64.

You should use far IPD for VR range.

Whats very strange is that in the normal case near IPD should be a smaller than far IPD and I can not even see how a near IPD would be a grater value than far IPD ( Near IPD= eyes angled ”inwards the nose” moving the pupils closer thogether).

So I would guess the optician made a misstake when the numbers was written down...unless your eyes are angled like Marty Feldman.

Anyhow, these numbers clears you for the Reverb G2 but you really should get quality secured numbers. Call the optician and ask for clarification. You would like to know and not guess, for the best VR gaming experience.

According to those numbers your far ipd is 64.

You should use far IPD for VR range.

Whats very strange is that in the normal case near IPD should be a smaller than far IPD and I can not even see how a near IPD would be a grater value than far IPD ( Near IPD= eyes angled ”inwards the nose” moving the pupils closer thogether).

So I would guess the optician made a misstake when the numbers was written down...unless your eyes are angled like Marty Feldman.

Anyhow, these numbers clears you for the Reverb G2 but you really should get quality secured numbers. Call the optician and ask for clarification. You would like to know and not guess, for the best VR gaming experience.

He is no longer in business since he get bankrupted. I get the info from the bankruptcy trustee. I also find it strange that near values was greater than the far ones. At any rate as I see it my IPD is either 68 (most likely) or 64 both of which will work for me.