Sluggish Pitch & Roll With Warthog Stick

In doing a little research, this seems to be common complaint with the F-16 module. Trying to get this plane to roll with the Warthog stick is like stirring molasses. As some have suggested, I have adjusted my axis curvature to -30 degrees and that made a noticeable improvement in pitch and roll rates.

Have there been any other "fixes" for this problem besides adjusting the axis curvature values?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In doing a little research, this seems to be common complaint with the F-16 module. Trying to get this plane to roll with the Warthog stick is like stirring molasses. As some have suggested, I have adjusted my axis curvature to -30 degrees and that made a noticeable improvement in pitch and roll rates.

Have there been any other "fixes" for this problem besides adjusting the axis curvature values?

I use the same -30 setting as you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Buzz

The only fix will come from ED. They've known for a long time that there is an issue.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

The only fix will come from ED. They've known for a long time that there is an issue.

Hopefully, that will help with the F-16 air-to-air refueling as well. It has been a real challenge trying to refuel that plane with the Warthog stick. I have been trying all sorts of different curvature settings to get some stability in AAR with the F-16. Although part of that problem is working off of a 2D computer monitor that does not provide all the "real world" peripheral vision in a real cockpit that gives an exponentially better position reference to the horizon and the tanker.

I use the stock Warthog spring and no extension. The structural design of my cockpit will not accommodate a stick extension, without some significant re-design. I am thinking part of the problem may be "auto-trim" in the F-16. I prefer manual trim, but I am from the Century Series era.

Where do you buy the springs from? How hard to install?

I also have a CH FighterStick with an extremely light touch. I will try that as well and see if the lighter touch improves the AAR experience in the F-16.

I use to use CH gear 10 years ago. I always thought the spring was too light. The green spring for the Warthog won't make it feel as light as the CH. Kind of between the CH and stock Warthog spring. Keep in mind that a spring too light will flop around and not return the stick to center. The WH stick is too heavy for springs too light.

The green spring is just right and easy to install. Get it here. Scroll down for a video on installing it.

https://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com/shop/warthog-green-springs/#:~:text=Description-,Description,spring%20will%20be%20significantly%20lower.

Buzz

• 2 months later...

It is not just the Cougar. I have a RealSimulator FSSB force sensor stick and I noticed how hard it was to control the pitch and roll. I am able to use RS software to increase the gain, to compensate. I might try the -30 curve idea, also.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you have the FSSB then use the FSSB axis and not the Warthog axis, Something I noticed recently was the constant jittering of the control surfaces when you are applying any pressure, the only thing I could put this down to is the Warthog board has far less resolution than the FSSB and causes weird behaviour. I did initially check for duplicate bindings but once i realise this was not the case and switched over things appeared to get really smooth👍

I had to use -20 on pitch and -40 on roll. With a 20cm extension. It's still really hard to precisely control in pitch where it suddenly changes from sluggish to twitchy. Which is insane because all of my other ~25 modules fly like a dream on 0 curves with an extension.

Edited by Nealius