Pitot heater not functioning

Revi

Hey

guys ran into a issue where my pitot (i assume) would freeze, which resulted in my speed indicator, climb indicator and altitude indicator being frozen, not functioning.

Even though pitot heat was on.

I am sure that it is not supposed to be like that, since a p47 would spend a huge amount of time in freezing temperature.

As you can see in the picture below, by the horizon indicator you see i am climbing, but the climb indicator does not show it, also the speed is not correct (stuck in place on the gage) and the altitude indicator.

When i dropped down to below freezing temperature, all would function again.

So we concluded that it must have to do with the pitot heater not functioning.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...98/unknown.png

To add, my speed indicator is still broken, shows 0, but i am going 320 kn.

This is below freezing temperatures

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...88/unknown.png

I could try and replicate the issue, but atm it is in a DCS liberation campaign, which uses certain scripts that (from what i heard), would corrupt the tracks.

If you still would like the track,here it is (use google drive, since the file is bigger then 5MB)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vx6511HT84ivzBv1JUFeC-fUvfGHRGc-/view?usp=sharing

• ED Team

Thank you for the track Revi, sadly I think the scripted nature of the mission made it difficult to use in testing. I have not reproduce this issue myself if someone has a short track showing it please attach it.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

I confirm that I have had problems with the speed indicator. I also thought about freezing or a high speed effect, it happened when I went down from 15000 ft. It also indicated the reverse speed, that is, going up in altitude it increased and down it decreased ... contrary to how it should be. In some cases it dropped to zero ft and then resumed working at very low altitudes.All this happened to me towards the end of a long journey, in fact I consumed an entire external tank and half of the internal fuel, almost all of the map from south to north. I would add that I did not subject the plane to particular efforts or acrobatics but I traveled all the way at a cruising speed, average altitudes between 10000 and 20,000. Air temperature in the carburetors always very low, the turbo rarely activated I traveled with the intercooler closed and oil cooling on neutral Obviously I checked several times if the pitot tube was activated, I admit that I only turned it on after a while I was in flight. I hope my testimony will be useful to you, good continuation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]My dream: DCS Tornado

• 3 months later...
On 10/28/2020 at 5:08 PM, Revi said:

guys ran into a issue where my pitot (i assume) would freeze, which resulted in my speed indicator, climb indicator and altitude indicator being frozen, not functioning.

The mechanical clocks technology I believe has been the same since before WW2. ASI, VSI, ALT, all three depends on air pressure changes. They all have in common a "static pressure" input that affects all three. If ED actually models a frozen static pressure input, that would be ambitious and interesting.

If pitot froze it would only impact the ASI, not the VSI or ALT.

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I just want to bump this thread; I do experience this error also in the BF-109 as well as the Mig 15 (not sure if I have to make separate threads, since it is the same error). It occurs to me only since the 2.7 update. Pitot heating simply does not seem to work anymore.

On 11/1/2020 at 1:35 PM, Reflected said:

Same here. Actually my ASI works fine, then drops to 0 when I descend below 1-2,000 feet.

bump.

Happened to me on the Wolf Pack mission 1.  ATM actually - paused during my descent in formation to see if I was missing something.  Formation flying/landing by feel is gonna be fun.

EDIT: Came back on at around 200'.  My pitot heat was on the whole flight, and I descended in formation.  Need to read up on function, I guess, but would imagine that I was within accepted parameters for operation.

Edited by Jakey-Poo
Change...?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Nealius said:

Should the probe even have icing at all if you don't fly into clouds?

Generally no.  Either way, the pitot heat should work unless you burn it up by having it on when not flying.  In the sim, the problem still occurs in clear, cold air, it just takes longer to show up.  Hope this helps.