F16 Throttle on the Way

Davee

For those that do not use facebook. Quoting in its entirety......

"The new hotas, The Orion, and the viper throttle. Same eco system, you can attached the viper throttle grip to Hornet box. New Hotas are aim for desktop, and this is not the final product. (We will have more throttle and joystick grip options later)

Now for the panel, we should be getting a solid date this afternoon(next few hours) Sorry folks, the assembly line is short on hands, we're trying".

F-16 throttle video here:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=808258543340346

a7d196aadd54cda1345ec71df40beaac.thumb.jpg.3f32a8cd1b139a359b30c4534ce01014.jpg

a67d818e6adc4cedf69058106021a5c7.thumb.jpg.e17b60a74092bbd4069e685afa146c3a.jpg

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

For those that do not use facebook. Quoting in its entirety......

"The new hotas, The Orion, and the viper throttle. Same eco system, you can attached the viper throttle grip to Hornet box. New Hotas are aim for desktop, and this is not the final product. (We will have more throttle and joystick grip options later)

Now for the panel, we should be getting a solid date this afternoon(next few hours) Sorry folks, the assembly line is short on hands, we're trying".

F-16 throttle video here:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=808258543340346

Also in another thread on Facebook:

Nicholas Mok F16EX grips/kits

would this fit the winwing SUPER TAURUS?

64924197_356865885022994_957762824946319360_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=2&_nc_sid=1eb0c7&_nc_ohc=CVGL9yTAW1YAX9_L0D2&_nc_ht=scontent.fcxh2-1.fna&tp=27&oh=5fb1d86afafb4a84b50e87cab4e8c027&oe=5FBE2E45

• 5 weeks later...

The Orion seems to be their desktop HOTAS, with F/A-18C flavor. I like how compact the throttle unit is compared to their current offering. If the cost is lower than the full-fledged version (which is very likely), then they will sell a ton of these. MSFS folks will likely pick them up also.

• Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Do I understand it right, Hotas Orion is a F/A-18C Hotas system especialy for desktop?

Yes. And it appears to be the same base size as the TM Warthog Throttle according to the manual specs. That means I should be able to mount it onto my existing FOXX mount. Also, an F-16 Throttle Grip is also in prototype at this moment for swapping out. Good times ahead!

You guys really have hopes they will produce these in any meaningful numbers where you we do not have to sit on their site refreshing the page when they announce it will go up to try an d get one like now with those F18 panels? I would grab one of these for sure. I was on their site last night waiting for the panels to be in stock as they posted and only the combat panel went up and I wanted to order both panels at the same time. Then about an hour later they were bot out of stock. So either they are only making a few of these at a time or there are 100s of people hawking the site. Reminds me of the current challenge with buying ammo online. 1000s of rounds are sold out in minutes. Winwing and many other companies in this space seem to have economy of scale issues.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

I was about to order a Taurus throttle when i saw this. Now i'm a bit unsure what to get. Compared to the Taurus the Orion throttle seems more like a compromise with the shorter radius giving it a more similar arc movement to the Thrustmaster Warthog and Virpil throttles.

For those who have the Warthog throttle, is the angle of the movement a problem when using the hats and buttons on the handles? When it's in full afterburner it seems to lean very much forward.

I was about to order a Taurus throttle when i saw this. Now i'm a bit unsure what to get. Compared to the Taurus the Orion throttle seems more like a compromise with the shorter radius giving it a more similar arc movement to the Thrustmaster Warthog and Virpil throttles.

For those who have the Warthog throttle, is the angle of the movement a problem when using the hats and buttons on the handles? When it's in full afterburner it seems to lean very much forward.

It does hide the most forward switches - Fuel Norm/Override. If mapped to other actions, it can be problematic if in full AB. In full Mil pwr, they still are compromised but less so.

On 11/28/2020 at 9:10 PM, Catseye said:

It does hide the most forward switches - Fuel Norm/Override. If mapped to other actions, it can be problematic if in full AB. In full Mil pwr, they still are compromised but less so.

I can see that being a problem in some situations. I was more thinking about the hats and switches on the throttle grips, if it's hard to reach the front switches when in full afterburner, or if it's easy to push a hat-switch in the wrong direction when it's angled like that. I use a slide-throttle (TWCS) currently so i'm used to the straight movement.

12 hours ago, Mel said:

I can see that being a problem in some situations. I was more thinking about the hats and switches on the throttle grips, if it's hard to reach the front switches when in full afterburner, or if it's easy to push a hat-switch in the wrong direction when it's angled like that. I use a slide-throttle (TWCS) currently so i'm used to the straight movement.

No issue reaching any switches/buttons on the throttle grips in any position.

19 hours ago, Mel said:

Too many variables.....How low or high is the throttle in relation to you? How far back are you in relation the the throttle? All in all it's pretty much up to you on whether the switches are easy to get to. I have absolutely no problems!

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

• 2 months later...

Am I reading correctly that the desktop version has a longer arc on the axis compared with the big version (50 vs 26 degrees)? I guess that makes sense given the much longer radius, but I wonder how do they compare in practice in DCS, e.g. when one needs finely tuned movements for air to air refueling?

I use a Warthog throttle and find that the useful range between idle and AB detents is somewhat limited. I was considering the Taurus, but I'm not sure how much of an upgrade it will be then.

Not really thrilled by the layout and looks of most of the controls on the Orion (the design and finish looks more like a prototype than a production model), but replaceable handles are a cool feature given that the F-16 throttle handles seem to be almost ready.

Speaking of modular controls, perhaps they could have went a step further and designed the rest of the controls on the throttle as modular blocks which would be mounted on e.g. three slots on the throttle base.

I do hope they might have plans for more Flight Ops panels for the Taurus. E.g. if DCS MiG-29 comes out, it would be cool to have a grey panel with different style of controls and different throttle panels.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

The thing about the Winwing Hornet throttle is that the range of motion/functionality is essentially identical to the real thing. I size my stick extensions to get a realistic range of motion in the pitch axis (measured by linear displacement of the top of the stick). So, in theory, I shouldn't need curves on many aircraft and any problems caused by the throttle range of motion should be close to what real pilots face in terms of sensitivity. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 11 months later...