Multi-monitor only appearing on ONE monitor?

Vol4Ever

Haven't seen this one covered before. Just got second monitor hooked up today, and of course DCS is one of first things I launched. Poked around in settings just to try one of the built-in configs at random to see what happened. Picked "Camera+LMFCD(on right side)" for grins and almost got in trouble. It split only 1 monitor's view in half, chopping both displayed screens in half while *nothing* appeared on second monitor. Biggest problem was I could no longer see the "apply" button which gave me no way to change it back! Thankfully browsed forums and manually edited proper text files to reset back to default 1 screen. Did I miss a second update setting needed to utilize second monitor, possibly something in one of the pixel resolution fields? I have 2 identical monitors set at 1920 x 1080 with the following final overall goal. May take me a little while (and more browsing!) to get it programmed, but first step is finding out why second monitor is blank. Anyway:

Main cockpit display on left monitor

Top half of right monitor = external camera view

Bottom half of right monitor divided into thirds, with following layout - - LMFCD (which I'm assuming is same thing as DDI on FA-18?) + AMPCD + RMFCD

Might even get froggy and calculate in some small black border spaces around each, but that would be later. :)

Any tips greatly appreciated!

~Vol

• Like 1

HOMEBREW RIG:

MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge Mobo, Ryzen 7 3.9 GHz octo-core, 32 GB RAM, GeForce 1660 Ti, 512 GB Rocket NVMe SSD, 4 TB HDD, Oculus Quest 128 GB, Warthog HOTAS & Pedals (finally!!)

MODULES:

F/A-18C Hornet, Persian Gulf Map, Nevada Test Range Map

• 2 weeks later...

In the settings menu, as well as selecting Camera+LMFCD, you need to set the resolution of both your monitors added together.

So try 3840x1080, if I remember correctly you can type that in as it won't be in the drop down menu. This is assuming you have set your second monitor to be on the right side of your main monitor physically on your desk, and also in the windows display settings.

I don't think you can display both in cockpit and and an external view at the same time.

But you will be able to have all 3 MFD's displayed on your second monitor but it will take some editing of the .lua config files.

I'm not at my computer for a week so I can't help you there at the moment.

Jonsky7 is on point. When playing with monitor.luas typically you wand to change the resolution first to avoid the issue you and many others have had.

• 2 weeks later...
Haven't seen this one covered before. Just got second monitor hooked up today, and of course DCS is one of first things I launched. Poked around in settings just to try one of the built-in configs at random to see what happened. Picked "Camera+LMFCD(on right side)" for grins and almost got in trouble. It split only 1 monitor's view in half, chopping both displayed screens in half while *nothing* appeared on second monitor. Biggest problem was I could no longer see the "apply" button which gave me no way to change it back! Thankfully browsed forums and manually edited proper text files to reset back to default 1 screen. Did I miss a second update setting needed to utilize second monitor, possibly something in one of the pixel resolution fields? I have 2 identical monitors set at 1920 x 1080 with the following final overall goal. May take me a little while (and more browsing!) to get it programmed, but first step is finding out why second monitor is blank. Anyway:

Main cockpit display on left monitor

Top half of right monitor = external camera view

Bottom half of right monitor divided into thirds, with following layout - - LMFCD (which I'm assuming is same thing as DDI on FA-18?) + AMPCD + RMFCD

Might even get froggy and calculate in some small black border spaces around each, but that would be later. :)

Any tips greatly appreciated!

~Vol

I ran into this and am stuck! I have all 3 monitors on 1 and can not get to the apply button to return to 1 monitor, so right now I'm screwed without help.

I sent in a help ticket, they gave me a list of links to check, this was one. I'm clueless when it comes to coding, I keep seeing mention, as in this thread, of changing the monitor size, or adding code to a file.

I've got a 40" smart TV as my main set at 1920x1080, my left and right monitor size is 980x760.

When I attempted to adjust the settings to LMFCD+CAMERA+RMFCD the left & right MFCD's overlaid the left & right 1/3 of the screen.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Did you try the solution from the posters above about setting the overall resolution on the main video settings page to match? You'll probably still have to edit LUA file manually to force what you want to be where on each monitor. A little extra pixel math will be required since all monitors aren't identical size / resolution, but I found it helps to sketch all 3 monitors on a sheet of paper and label the x,y coordinates of the 4 corners on each. I can do that for you, but it would be more helpful if you tried it first yourself to start getting a feel how the pixel math works. For starters you should make your MAIN overall resolution setting as 3880 x 1060 and then 3.6604 should auto-calculate as aspect ratio. That will at least define the complete screen size in the software, although the 2 side monitors will have dead space since they are smaller in height.

One other tip I found which was completely by accident. Once the game loads with everything split across a single monitor, take your mouse and randomly click anywhere on one of the other monitors & screen adjusts. No idea why, but it worked for me . . . . . after entering that top level pixel definition for the whole setup. All that gobbledy gook make sense?

~Vol

HOMEBREW RIG:

MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge Mobo, Ryzen 7 3.9 GHz octo-core, 32 GB RAM, GeForce 1660 Ti, 512 GB Rocket NVMe SSD, 4 TB HDD, Oculus Quest 128 GB, Warthog HOTAS & Pedals (finally!!)

MODULES:

F/A-18C Hornet, Persian Gulf Map, Nevada Test Range Map

DCS does not support multi-monitor in the sense that it will address different images to different displays. The "Monitors" DCS option chooses how the single image from the sim will render on a single display. The only way to get DCS to span multiple monitors is to render the sim into a window which spans multiple displays or use software like Eyefinity/Surround to combine multiple monitors into a single logical display.

Because your two displays aren't equal sizes the nVidia/AMD solutions won't handle your situation well. There are programs that make a virtual display and then "cut and paste" from that rectangle to various displays in a custom way. I don't know of any that work for 64bit programs like DCS. Otherwise you can try making a custom .lua for your particular layout and then running the sim windowed such that the right parts of the window are on the right monitors.

I ran into this and am stuck! I have all 3 monitors on 1 and can not get to the apply button to return to 1 monitor, so right now I'm screwed without help.

I sent in a help ticket, they gave me a list of links to check, this was one. I'm clueless when it comes to coding, I keep seeing mention, as in this thread, of changing the monitor size, or adding code to a file.

I've got a 40" smart TV as my main set at 1920x1080, my left and right monitor size is 980x760.

When I attempted to adjust the settings to LMFCD+CAMERA+RMFCD the left & right MFCD's overlaid the left & right 1/3 of the screen.

There's 2 ways to do this :

1. Read enough resources to learn how to do it.

2. Pair up with someone that can make a monitor Lua with you.

If you go into your windows "Saved Games" folder, then "DCS", then "Config" folder, there should be a file called "Options.lua", you can rename that to "options.old" and when you start DCS it should be at default settings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've made you a couple of monitor config lua files. Please don't assume I'm insulting your intelligence in anything posted below, it's written to be as simple to follow as I can make it.

DCS likes your main Windows monitor to be on the left of any setup. It is also better to have as small a total resolution as possible, I'll explain as we go on.

Your main Windows monitor is the one with the start button when your on your desktop. I'm assuming you'd like your TV to be your main monitor.

Right click on your desktop and select Display settings

settings.jpg.180cbb17785f2b825bd65260ff964b53.jpg

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

So currently I assume your displays are set like this, with your TV being monitor 1 and your smaller screens as 2 and 3. This also copies how you physically have them on your desk. The numbers may be different depending on how you plugged them into your graphics card, you can click the identify button and large numbers should be displayed on each monitor.

1373492472_display1.jpg.a9336e27a1c7addad235a58784fe4c67.jpg

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Your main display will have this check box ticked.

You must also have "Extend desktop to this display" selected on all 3 monitors

559844789_maindisplay.jpg.9aec01d05a7a95c56d505e97b1103d2f.jpg

............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

In order to avoid problems with DCS, we need to re-arrange your displays in Windows, you don't have to physically move them, I'm assuming you don't use those small screens for anything else anyway. This only really effects where the mouse pointer goes from one screen to the next when you're on your desktop.

You have 2 options here

Option 1, set the displays to be side by side. Make sure the bottom edge is aligned. I have mine set like this as I use my monitor "3" for other things as it is a 24" 1080p display.

Simply click and hold your left mouse button on a display and drag it to the desired position, for the lua file to work properly, set your left small screen in position3 as shown here, the number may be different, but as long as the position is correct that is good.

If you use this configuration, your total resolution will be 3880x1080 (total pixels 4,190,400)

Aspect ratio 3.592592592

The green box shows how the resolution is calculated for DCS

OPTION 1 LUA FILE ----> Option_1.lua

sideby.jpg.936b51d9df936b6cfd8441c878398b76.jpg

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Option 2, set your small displays to be under your main display, make sure they are aligned on the left hand side.

If you use this configuration, your total resolution will be 1960x1840 (total pixels 3,606,400) (584,000 less pixels than config 1, which is better)

Aspect ratio 1.0652173913

OPTION 2 LUA FILE ----> Option_2.lua

under.jpg.df26ae23d3ea0163c376810d2abbbd5f.jpg

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I've made the MFDs to be Square so the don't look distorted and aligned to the edge closest to your TV.

So select which option you prefer and copy the file into

Saved Games

DCS

Config

Monitorsetup

Then open DCS and go to the settings menu, the resolution and aspect ratio can be typed into the box. The monitors file should be selected from the drop down menu

DCSSETTINGS.thumb.jpg.752f08c5eae6be21adfab5d25b4f5967.jpg

When you start DCS, if it looks like this, just left mouse outside of your main screen and the screen will adjust, it's weird, I just live with it.

open.thumb.jpg.fa80faa6fba329cba6e8bdbf789eb0a3.jpg

Hope that works :music_whistling:

sideby.jpg.fc6949e9f4d55ab8a5fc494c0971dca2.jpg

under.jpg.009c36df1b7cf1ff68815df481fd264a.jpg

• 1 month later...

Jonsky;

I tried to use two monitors, more or less from the cuff.  I was trying to get my MFCD's put on to a bigger screen.  When I selected LMFCD on right the game reloaded.   BAM!

I did essentially same thing that Wolf did.  My main screen indeed split with the game display all scrunched up on the left and all black on the right.  I opened OPTIONS to a look at it  Then I noticed something very bad right away.  The OK button on the bottom right corner of the SYSTEM tab was overlapping into the right side of the screen, which was totally black.  Basically there was no OK button to click on now.  Just as Wolf, I was stuck!

This post saved a bit of my sanity:

On 11/21/2020 at 7:05 AM, jonsky7 said:

If you go into your windows "Saved Games" folder, then "DCS", then "Config" folder, there should be a file called "Options.lua", you can rename that to "options.old" and when you start DCS it should be at default settings.

Thanks!

I am extremely new at this game and mostly overwhelmed.  Is there a guide some where that may describe which configuration files that I should back up?

Caldera

12 hours ago, Caldera said:

Jonsky;

I tried to use two monitors, more or less from the cuff.  I was trying to get my MFCD's put on to a bigger screen.  When I selected LMFCD on right the game reloaded.   BAM!

I did essentially same thing that Wolf did.  My main screen indeed split with the game display all scrunched up on the left and all black on the right.  I opened OPTIONS to a look at it  Then I noticed something very bad right away.  The OK button on the bottom right corner of the SYSTEM tab was overlapping into the right side of the screen, which was totally black.  Basically there was no OK button to click on now.  Just as Wolf, I was stuck!

This post saved a bit of my sanity:

Thanks!

I am extremely new at this game and mostly overwhelmed.  Is there a guide some where that may describe which configuration files that I should back up?

Caldera

Seems like you've run into the same problem as the original poster, and many more people I assume.

That is probably that the most important settings when using multiple monitors is the resolution setting in DCS and how you set your monitors in windows.

Before making any changes you could simply copy the entire Config folder, it's only a few megabytes. Located in your Windows Saved Games folder, DCS, Config.

if you are unsure as where your Windows Saved Games folder is, you can use the windows start bar search to find it, simply type "saved games" in the search box.

All of the display settings are located in the Saved games - DCS - Config - options.lua file (about 50 lines down under the heading "graphics")

To edit this file, you can use windows notepad, but it is better to use notepad++ (https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/)

Aspect ratio is simply width divided by height, so for me here it's 6400 / 1440 = 4.44444444444

mon.jpg

6400 because I have three monitors with width resolution 2560+1920+1920 and the tallest monitor is 1440 in resolution.

It is better to align the bottom edge of your monitors, some "windows" like the Huey crew and gunner control window, are aligned to the bottom right of the total resolution, so if you align your monitors at the top, that window will appear in the blank space and you won't be able to see it. If your monitors are all the same resolution, you won't have this problem.

Windows display settings, accessed by right clicking anywhere on your desktop.

Resolution for DCS in red

mon2.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The monitor files are located in Saved games - DCS - Config - Monitorsetup

The monitor file tells DCS where to put each view and display

The displays are governed by a position and a size, the top left of your "resolution" is X=0 Y=0

For example

You can see below that my main screen, my pilot view, is my main monitor, it is a 1440p 27" monitor.

mon3.jpg

so for me, above, my center viewport is:

x = 0 ---- this describes where we want the left edge of the display to be, in this case zero, I want it to be all the way to the left
Y = 0 ---- this describes where we want the top edge of the display to be , in this case zero, I want it to be at the top.

width = 2560 ---- I want it to cover my whole main monitor screen left to right
height = 1440 ---- I want it to cover my whole main monitor screen top to bottom

I don't know what viewDx and viewDy are, I've never touched them.

my left MFD is
x = 4490 ---- 4490 pixels from the far left, this is because my main screen is 2560, the next screen is 1920, and I want it to be on my third screen, but 10 pixels in from the edge

y = 360 ---- 360 pixels from the top, this is because my main screen is 1440 pixels tall, but my third screen is only 1080, and the top of third screen is 360 pixels below the top of my main screen, I will explain that below, hopefully 🙂

width = 825 how wide I want my MFD to be in pixels from left to right

height = 825 how tall I want my MFD to be in pixels from top to bottom

So here is how all of the positions and sizes are calculated for me

Red are the screen resolutions

Green are the position coordinates

and blue the dimensions
mon4.jpg

As you can see, my third monitor is physically below my main monitor, but in windows it's on the far right.

This doesn't matter other than to get my mouse pointer onto my third monitor I have to drag it off the right hand side of my second monitor.

mon5.jpg

Hope this helps

Cheers

Jon

Thanks Jon,

I am attaching two files.  Take a look at them if you like.

Believe it not I got it to work last night! 

I must have read through your guide above (the first one) over ten times.  Something finally clicked and I got it to work.  I put both the MFCD's on the right monitor at 760x760 each.  Now I can actually read stuff. 

One thing, there is a gap along the bottom of my right monitor that is not part of the DCS window.  It is the desktop.  My center monitor is 2560x1440 and the right one is 1920x1080.  I entered 4480x1440 in the screen resolution box.  It is handy to be able to switch to the desktop and not having to alt-tab out of the game, but I kind of would like to figure out why that happens that way.  I did not mess with too much though I was feeling the need to play.

The LEFT MFCD and the RIGHT MFCD calls in the MonitorSetup file are view ports if I am correct.  Are there other view ports that are available besides the MFCD's?

My desk looks allot like yours but smaller, my keyboard highlights blue to match the x56, and I have a dragon not R2D2.

Caldera

options.lua Center+LMFD+RMFD.lua

Edited by Caldera

7 hours ago, Caldera said:

One thing, there is a gap along the bottom of my right monitor that is not part of the DCS window.  It is the desktop.  My center monitor is 2560x1440 and the right one is 1920x1080.  I entered 4480x1440 in the screen resolution box.  It is handy to be able to switch to the desktop and not having to alt-tab out of the game, but I kind of would like to figure out why that happens that way.  I did not mess with too much though I was feeling the need to play.

All I can think of is that your displays are not perfectly aligned in the Windows Display settings. For some reason when you are clicking and dragging your second monitor it does not perfectly snap to align with your main monitor. If you drag your main monitor to align with your second monitor you can get it to align perfectly. That's what works for me anyway,

mon6.jpg

The LEFT MFCD and the RIGHT MFCD calls in the MonitorSetup file are view ports if I am correct.  Are there other view ports that are available besides the MFCD's?

I think it's possible to export any screen in the cockpit, RWR, Radio Freq digital displays, any screen really, but takes some modification of certain files.

The only problem is that some of those "displays" are part of the cockpit texture and so they are not exported. For example, the RWR screen, the grey dividing lines and circles are part of the texture, so all that is exported is the symbols.

This is part of the cockpit texture                                                               this is what is exported

FA18_RWR2.PNG RWR.jpg

Anything in particular you're after??

9 hours ago, Caldera said:

Just thought, is it only the Taskbar? 

Lately I can't get rid of mine on the second and third monitor either, unless I go into taskbar settings and turn my taskbar off on my second and third monitor.

Jon,

Thanks again!

No, it is the taskbar and a bit more.  I would say 25-30% of the right screen is the desktop.  Like I said it is fine, the MFCD's displayed are large enough for me to read clearly and I don't have to alt-tab out of the game.  I eventually would  like to get another monitor and put these displays under my main monitor for the Cougars, like you have done.  A had I spare monitor and I wanted to test this out so that is what I am doing.

I will try to re-arrange my monitors in control panel.

Well...

"Anything in particular you're after??"

The RWR would be OK as you have shown, but how about the F10 map display?

Something I may have discovered.  From your upper discussion I noticed that you have to click on the screen to get it to spread out, so to speak. It seems that if I leave FULL SCREEN unchecked that does not happen to me.  From what I can see having FULL SCREEN checked or unchecked doesn't matter that much if the game is running in the center window is at the same resolution as your desktop.

Caldera

Edited by Caldera

Jon,

I have attached one file.

I changed my monitor set-up a bit.  The TGP looked kind of gawdy at 760x760 or larger, so I dropped it to 480x480.  I got tired of editing the constants so I put in some variables to speed up my experimentation process.  This also leaves more real estate on my right monitor.

And...

You were right!  I did not have my screens perfectly aligned in control panel.  The right screen was set lower.

I see the problem with the RWR view port.  It looks like the view port itself is an underlayer to the cockpit dash.  Have you ever messed with a HUD view port? 

Frankly, my vision is bad.  I don't really see well especially with my right eye which has some macular degeneration on top of bad vision.  Just having the right monitor sitting there with stuff that is bigger has dramatically increased my enjoyment of the game.  Thanks again!

Caldera

CENTER+RMFD+LMFD.lua

Unfortunately you can't have the main view and the F10 map displayed at the same time.

For other displays, like the RWR you can add these two lines to the bottom of the xxxxx_init.lua of the display you're trying to export, where xxxxx is the display name.

At least it works for all of the displays I've tried.

dofile(LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."ViewportHandling.lua")
try_find_assigned_viewport("A10C_RWR")

For example, the A-10C RWR

DCS World/Mods/Aircraft/A-10C/Cockpit/Scripts/AN_ALR69V/indicator/AN_ALR69V_init.lua

you can change the name in brackets, eg ("A10C_RWR"), to anything you like, be sure to include the quotation marks inside the brackets.

If you want to, you can use the same name for multiple aircraft if you want that display to always be in same place

ie, if you edit the A10C RWR, and the F16 RWR file, calling them both something like try_find_assigned_viewport("RWR")

then you would only need one entry in your monitor config file, described below

Edit your monitor config file to look for the name you gave it, give it position and dimensions just like the MFCDs.

Just make sure the last line of your monitor config file is UIMainView = Viewports.Center

example

A10C_RWR =
{
x = 2561;
y = 880;
width = 520;
height = 520;
}

I've added the file so you can compare with the original

AN_ALR69V_init.lua

4 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Jon,

I have attached one file.

I changed my monitor set-up a bit.  The TGP looked kind of gawdy at 760x760 or larger, so I dropped it to 480x480.  I got tired of editing the constants so I put in some variables to speed up my experimentation process.  This also leaves more real estate on my right monitor.

And...

You were right!  I did not have my screens perfectly aligned in control panel.  The right screen was set lower.

I see the problem with the RWR view port.  It looks like the view port itself is an underlayer to the cockpit dash.  Have you ever messed with a HUD view port? 

Frankly, my vision is bad.  I don't really see well especially with my right eye which has some macular degeneration on top of bad vision.  Just having the right monitor sitting there with stuff that is bigger has dramatically increased my enjoyment of the game.  Thanks again!

Caldera

CENTER+RMFD+LMFD.lua 484 B · 1 download

You're ahead of me already 😛

I didn't know you could do that. 👍

Edited by jonsky7

Here I've added my monitor config, and all of the files I've modded for display exports.

The main reason there's so many entries for MFCD is that the FC3 aircraft like the F-15 and SU25, can't be modified in the same way as above.

So I edited every other aircraft I own so I could have a separate location for the SU25 shkval screen.

JB Camera Cougar.lua Display Exports.rar

Jon;

Attached are two files.  Take a look please.

Help!  I can't get it to work. 

The TEST 1 file is my monitor setup file.  The AN_ALR69V_init file is basically what you sent me.  I had thought that its purpose was too create a view port, in this case RWR.  I put that file in various locations but it still does not work.

I Edited:

%%%\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A-10C_2\Cockpit\Scripts\AN_ALR69V\indicator\AN_ALR69V_init  --> No Luck

I put AN_ALR69V_init in:

%%%\Saved Games\DCS\Mods  --> No Luck

%%%\Saved Games\DCS\config\Mods  --> No Luck

%%%\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\aircraft\A-10C_2\Cockpit\Scripts\AN_ALR69V\indicator  --> No Luck

I had thought that I had figured this out.  My thinking is that the game loads from the %%%\DCS World folders first.  Then it loads from the %%%\Saved Games folders, which can then overwrite anything loaded so far.  That gives the user the opportunity to make changes and/or add stuff.

Examples:

%%%\Saved Games\DCS\config\MonitorSetup\TEST 1  --> Works every time

%%%\Saved Games\DCS\config\options --> Works every time

%%%\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\A-10C-2020-CPT --> Works every time

Maybe I have stuff loading and running out of order?  For example, if the TEST1 file runs before the AN_ALR69V file runs.  Then at the runtime of TEST1 the RWR view port does not yet exist.  Maybe I am just putting it in the wrong location?  Maybe I am just jacked as hell?

Where am I going wrong?

Caldera

AN_ALR69V_init.lua TEST 1.lua

Edited by Caldera

I've had a look and can't see anything wrong. Even if it is weird to me 😛

I even loaded your TEST 1 config file into my game and got this

20210113_210130.jpg

The only thing I changed was 

rmdrop   = 360    Because my monitors are aligned at the bottom. So the top of my 1080p monitor is 360 pixels below the top of my 1440p

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

I put AN_ALR69V_init in:

%%%\Saved Games\DCS\Mods  --> No Luck

%%%\Saved Games\DCS\config\Mods  --> No Luck

%%%\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\aircraft\A-10C_2\Cockpit\Scripts\AN_ALR69V\indicator  --> No Luck

Never heard of that working for these files, I believe you have to modify the file in the game main directory.

This is the entire code for the AN_ALR69V_init.lua

dofile(LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."devices_defs.lua")

indicator_type = indicator_types.COMMON
----------------------
rwr_symbols_bound = 0.027   -- coeff to limit indication on RWR when symbol can't be place on RWR entirely
-------PAGE IDs-------
id_Page =
{
    PAGE_OFF        = 0,
    PAGE_MAIN        = 1,
    PAGE_BIT        = 2
}

id_pagesubset =
{
    COMMON            = 0,
    MAIN            = 1,
    BIT                = 2,
}

page_subsets = {}
page_subsets[id_pagesubset.COMMON]    = LockOn_Options.script_path.."AN_ALR69V/Indicator/AN_ALR69V_COMMON_page.lua"
page_subsets[id_pagesubset.MAIN]    = LockOn_Options.script_path.."AN_ALR69V/Indicator/AN_ALR69V_MAIN_page.lua"
page_subsets[id_pagesubset.BIT]        = LockOn_Options.script_path.."AN_ALR69V/Indicator/AN_ALR69V_BIT_page.lua"

----------------------
pages = {}

pages[id_Page.PAGE_OFF]        = {}
pages[id_Page.PAGE_MAIN]    = {id_pagesubset.COMMON, id_pagesubset.MAIN}
pages[id_Page.PAGE_BIT]        = {id_pagesubset.COMMON, id_pagesubset.BIT}

init_pageID        = id_Page.PAGE_OFF
use_parser        = false

--- master modes
A10C_ALR69V_OFF           = 0 
A10C_ALR69V_MAIN       = 1 
A10C_ALR69V_BIT        = 2

------------------------------------
pages_by_mode                 = {}
clear_mode_table(pages_by_mode, 2, 0, 0)

function get_page_by_mode(master,L2,L3,L4)
    return get_page_by_mode_global(pages_by_mode,init_pageID,master,L2,L3,L4)
end

pages_by_mode[A10C_ALR69V_OFF][0][0][0]            = id_Page.PAGE_OFF
pages_by_mode[A10C_ALR69V_MAIN][0][0][0]        = id_Page.PAGE_MAIN
pages_by_mode[A10C_ALR69V_BIT][0][0][0]            = id_Page.PAGE_BIT

opacity_sensitive_materials = 
{
"font_RWR",
"INDICATION_RWR"
}

try_find_assigned_viewport("RWR")

So stupid question time, was the RWR turned on??

Did you edit it with Notepad++ ? https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/

I have heard of problems editing with Windows Notepad.

Can you upload pictures of your Windows Display Settings, how you have your monitors setup

and your DCS settings menu.

and maybe your options.cfg from

Saved Games/DCS/Config/

Edited by jonsky7

Jon,

Attached are 2 files.

Thanks!  Still testing!

I took a break and  scratched my head a bit...

Looking at the Display Exports.rar file that you attached I got a clue to the file path that was needed. I just did not know where that path originated, so I tried both the %%%\DCS World\Mods and the %%%\Saved Games\DCS\Mods directories.   Neither worked...

The MCFD_init file that I have attached is from my %%\DCS World\Mods directory.  You can see the options I tried in the comments on the right side of line 22. 

--> If ("LEFT_MFCD") is inserted in line 22              ==> TEST 1 will work if LEFT_MFCD is inserted in line 28

--> If ("A10C_LEFT_MFCD") is inserted in line 22    ==> TEST 1 will work if LEFT_MFCD is inserted in line 28

==> TEST 1 will not work if A10C_LEFT_MFCD is inserted in line 28

Baffling...

One thing, my TEST 1 file is locating in:

%%%\Saved Games\DCS\config\MonitorSetup\

Caldera

JonSky7-2.png

JonSky7-1.png

MFCD_init.lua options.lua

Edited by Caldera

My bad, I've missed some information. I forgot we were dealing with the A10C which is quite unique. Sorry about that.

In order to change the names of the MFCDs for A10C and A10C_2, you must change the names in two locations

%%%\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Cockpit\Scripts\MFCD\indicator\MFCD_init.lua

this is just the first 32 lines of MFCD_init.lua

dofile(LockOn_Options.script_path.."materials.lua")
dofile(LockOn_Options.script_path.."config.lua")

local USE_BAKED = true

function GetScale() 
return 1
end
dofile(LockOn_Options.script_path.."MFCD/indicator/MFCD_sizes.lua")

render_target_always = LockOn_Options.flight.easy_radar 

if USE_BAKED then
    purposes           = {100} -- avoid direct call
else

update_screenspace_diplacement(1.0,disposition == 'L')    

if disposition == 'L' then
        try_find_assigned_viewport("A10C_LEFT_MFCD")
    else 
        try_find_assigned_viewport("A10C_RIGHT_MFCD")
    end

if LockOn_Options.flight.easy_radar then 
       purposes      = {render_purpose.GENERAL,render_purpose.HUD_ONLY_VIEW,render_purpose.SCREENSPACE_OUTSIDE_COCKPIT}
    else
       purposes      = {render_purpose.GENERAL,render_purpose.HUD_ONLY_VIEW}
    end
end

and you must also change the names in the init.lua located in the BAKE folder.

%%%\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Cockpit\Scripts\MFCD\indicator\BAKE\init.lua

if LockOn_Options.flight.easy_radar then 
   purposes      = {render_purpose.GENERAL,render_purpose.HUD_ONLY_VIEW,render_purpose.SCREENSPACE_OUTSIDE_COCKPIT}
else
   purposes      = {render_purpose.GENERAL,render_purpose.HUD_ONLY_VIEW}
end

indicator_type      = indicator_types.COMMON

update_screenspace_diplacement(1.0,disposition == 'L')    

if disposition == 'L' then
    try_find_assigned_viewport("A10C_LEFT_MFCD") 
    page_subsets = {  LockOn_Options.script_path.."MFCD/indicator/BAKE/page_left.lua"}
else 
    try_find_assigned_viewport("A10C_RIGHT_MFCD")
    page_subsets = {  LockOn_Options.script_path.."MFCD/indicator/BAKE/page_right.lua"}
end

pages             = {{1}}
init_pageID     = 1

You can then change the names in your monitor config file

A10C_LEFT_MFCD =
{
x = 4490;
y = 360;
width = 825;
height = 825;
}

A10C_RIGHT_MFCD =
{
x = 5570;
y = 360;
width = 825;
height = 825;

I'm quite sure if you edit the A10C, the A10C_2 file is also automatically edited and vice versa, if you have both that is.

I was under the impression that your RWR export wasn't working. As the TEST 1 file you included had the MFCDs named as LEFT_MFCD and RIGHT_MFCD.

I assumed you had not tried to change the export name of the MFCDs

The edited init.lua in the BAKE folder is also included in the display exports.rar  

Display Exports.rar26.98 kB · 3 downloads

Edited by jonsky7

Jon,

Thank you very much!

Frankly, not that important to me as I only own the A-10C ii and the F/A-18C (P-51D).  I don't really fly the F/A-18C.  I bought it because I thought I would want to later and because it was on sale over the holidays.  What I have works so I am happy.  The A-10C ii is my bird for now.

My goal is simply to know the process by which I can do this for myself.  The A-10C MFCD was just an experiment to accomplish that.  Initially, I was trying to put the RWR on my right monitor using the TEST 1 file.  It was going to placed just to the right of where I placed my right MFCD in the same format 480x480 box.  I had already put RWR placement in the TEST 1 file (still there).  I was thinking that if I got that to work I may go for the HUD also and put it below right MFCD and the RWR..

But...

I got stumped on the MFCD name thingy so I stopped.

* So is it only the MFCD view port that needs to go through above process (Baked file) or do all of the A-10C ii view ports require that same process? 

* For example, would the RWR just require the AN_ALR69V_init file to define the view port and the monitor config file to display it? 

* How important is to have different call names in the same monitor config file like you have done?    EX:   A-10C_LEFT_MFCD and F16_LEFT_MFCD

I have to say, your JB Camera Cougar file is pretty trick!

Caldera

Caldera,

you're welcome, if I'm helping that is, and not slowly driving you mad 😜

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

Frankly, not that important to me as I only own the A-10C ii and the F/A-18C (P-51D).  I don't really fly the F/A-18C.  I bought it because I thought I would want to later and because it was on sale over the holidays.  What I have works so I am happy.  The A-10C ii is my bird for now.

Cool, let's focus on getting that up and running.

My goal is simply to know the process by which I can do this for myself. 

I hope we can get you there.

* So is it only the MFCD view port that needs to go through above process (Baked file) or do all of the A-10C ii view ports require that same process? 

* For example, would the RWR just require the AN_ALR69V_init file to define the view port and the monitor config file to display it? 

* How important is to have different call names in the same monitor config file like you have done?    EX:   A-10C_LEFT_MFCD and F16_LEFT_MFCD

1. It is literally only the A10C MFCD that you have to also edit the file in the BAKE folder if you wish to change its call name, as far as I'm aware anyway.

2. Yes. Just the two lines of code ending with try_find_assigned_viewport("RWR") and an entry in your monitor config.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. There is no requirement to have different call names for the MFCDs for displays like the RWR to work. 

Only if you want the position of the MFCDs of one aircraft, to be displayed in different locations than another aircraft.

eg, I have my third little screen with a pair of TM Cougar MFD button boxes stuck to it. For the most part, my Left and Right MFCDs show up inside the screen space of the button boxes.

By default the SU25 shkval screen is displayed using the LEFT_MFCD call name and there is no way to change it. I wanted the shkval screen to be larger and on my second monitor. In order to accomplish that, I needed to change all of the other aircraft. As I was changing them all anyway I decided to name them individually, and set up my monitor config as it is. 

That way, if I needed to say change only the AV8BNA MFCD position, I could do that without disrupting the position of the A10C MFCD.

You for example, once you start flying the F18, might decide that you wish to alter the position of the MFCDs, so that you can accommodate all three of the MFCD displays in the F18, without changing how the A10C displays are arranged on your secondary monitor. 

By the way, the F18 center MFCD is already set up for export by default, its call name is CENTER_MFCD by default

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So other than the call names of the MFCDs, is it all working now? You've managed to get the MFCDs and RWR screen for the A10C setup?

Regards

Jon

Edited by jonsky7