Quest 2 DCS VR

Viciam1

I got the OQ2 on Black Friday sale and am blown away by it,  Only tried it on the HUEY and the Spitfire.  Sitting in the cramped cockpit of the spit and looking around at the airframe which has a sense of mass is insane. I'll never be able to enjoy 2d again. Though coming from a 34 inch 3440x1440 monitor I do miss the crisper detail.  The cockpit detail is great but distant objects rapidly blur. Sitting in the spit watching a B52 take off and climb away it soon blurs out.  It'll make dog fighting near impossible as I can,t really figure out the targets maneuvering.  I've fooled about with all the settings in this thread but cant solve this. I'm running over the link cable from the USB C in my RTX 2080. Any tips? Thanks in advance.

Are you guys able to get smooth head movement in the cockpit with the Quest 2?

I am playing around with the settings in Oculus Home using 90Hz refresh rate. I tried all resolution settings from the lowest to the highest but the in cockpit head movement is the same throughout, it is consistently bad. I am getting high fps, low frame time up until 3920x1984 resolution, but while the flying is very smooth head movement is jittery. I also tried using the debug tool and the oculus tray tool as well, changing ASW modes but no luck so far. Lowering super sampling below 1.0 has no effect either.

My nvidia 3D settings for DCS are still set for the Rift S. This might be an issue.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

System:
i7-8700k stock
2080ti overclocked
32 GB RAM

I have the same issue...sometimes with higher resolutions also if the fps are in the range for good ASW usage then the lateral head movement are very strange and jittery.
I did already put vsync to fast in nvidia control panel

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I use Oculus Tray Tool. I just updated it today. It now has an option to vary the bitrate for the Oculus Link. Before this you could only change the bitrate in the Oculus Debug Tool. I have always left it at zero because that seemed to be the smoothest. Now with this new OTT update I tried the 500 bitrate setting. While fps and frame time did not change at all head movement got jittery again. I set the bitrate to the lowest setting which is 150, and it went back to very smooth with no effect on fps. I have not tried the settings in between. Maybe give it a shot.

Edited by Argo Navis

Hi everyone, I am trying to decide between the first HP Reverb pro and the Quest 2.

I have i9 9900k with RTX 3090 and I am wondering which headset is better for flying and visual tracking of other planes when in DCS. Those are the only headsets I can currently get in Canada.

Thx.

3 minutes ago, Danielle said:

Hi everyone, I am trying to decide between the first HP Reverb pro and the Quest 2.

I have i9 9900k with RTX 3090 and I am wondering which headset is better for flying and visual tracking of other planes when in DCS. Those are the only headsets I can currently get in Canada.

Thx.

I would normally pick a native PC-VR headset for flight simming, however can you not get the Reverb G2 rather than the original? You have the system for it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just now, dburne said:

I would normally pick a native PC-VR headset for flight simming, however can you not get the Reverb G2 rather than the original? You have the system for it.

HP Canada is not even taking pre-orders for the G2 in Canada. I tried to get the G2 from Ebay auction but just got scammed (the seller never sent it) and currently had to file a refund claim after waiting 3 weeks. I do want the G2, but realistically I don't see it happening for us in Canada at least for another 3-6 months. I am currently on the original HTC vive and the resolution just sucks. I am still learning so I have to get super close to the labels and instrumentation to see what's going on. Quest 2 is the only modern headset I can get off amazon in 3-5 days.

I did tons of research on the Quest 2, but the I worry about compression artifacts or the CPU/GPU overhead when streaming using the link cable option. I can get the first gen Reverb at around 350 USD (used from Ebay) or I can get the quest 2 (new) for similar price. I heard there are some head tracking issues and sweet spot issues with the first gen Reverb.      

I also wanted the G2. Same situation here, no G2 yet, so I decided to get the Quest 2 for now. It's relatively cheap, and hopefully it will be easy to sell when the G2 becomes available. I am not sure that applies to an older headset like the Reverb Pro. I was very skeptical of the Link cable first, but it runs DCS very nicely on my system. I have not tried online gaming with it yet though. Apparently, picture quality is not much behind the G2. You will be amazed by the crisp, sharp, high resolution screen after the HTC Vive. For training it's probably perfect until you get your G2. 
On the other hand, I am not familiar with the original Reverb, so I can not really compare the two.
  • Like 1

Hi guys, just setting up my quest 2, now I have V23.   Set everything shown above but one quick question, is what render resolution do you guys set the quest 2 in the oculus software? 

at mo I’ve set it to Max right, and it’s a tad clunky to say the least.    What would be a good settings for nice clear visuals but with a usable FPS?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

29 minutes ago, Cowboy10uk said:

Hi guys, just setting up my quest 2, now I have V23.   Set everything shown above but one quick question, is what render resolution do you guys set the quest 2 in the oculus software? 

at mo I’ve set it to Max right, and it’s a tad clunky to say the least.    What would be a good settings for nice clear visuals but with a usable FPS?

I'm currently trying 4128x2096 at 72Hz. I mostly fly WW2 prop planes and this is fine for dogfights with a handful of planes. With V23 it's important not too add any super sampling with OTT or debug tool. I just turn off ASW and get a detailed smooth experience with these settings.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive - SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
Windows 10 Professional

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

12 minutes ago, Lensman said:

I'm currently trying 4128x2096 at 72Hz. I mostly fly WW2 prop planes and this is fine for dogfights with a handful of planes. With V23 it's important not too add any super sampling with OTT or debug tool. I just turn off ASW and get a detailed smooth experience with these settings.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive - SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
Windows 10 Professional

Cheers mate, not touched SS in OTT, will try reducing the resolution to your settings and have another go. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

1 hour ago, CPC900 said:

As far as resolution goes, I assume people their set the resolution to 1832 x 1920 in DCS for the sake of the quest2, or no?!

Bruce

The DCS in game resolution setting has nothing to do with VR. Just leave it at your monitor's native resolution.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

I am looking for maximum smoothness, and I am willing to sacrifice some quality for that. I have been in the mid ranges in the Oculus resolution settings, and I didn't even consider higher settings than these: I used 3920x1984 resolution, and super sampling set to 1.3 in OTT. DCS settings are mostly low or off, however, in order to get rid of the jagged edges I had to set MSAA to at least 2x. These settings would give me a solid 45fps and 22ms frame time over the Syria map when you fly low over trees or towns, and it would jump to 90fps and 11ms when flying over more open areas with less trees and buildings. The difference between 22ms and 11ms is very noticeable. If I switch off MSAA in DCS, I would get 90fps and 11ms more often. 
I noticed that if you fiddle with ASW settings in OTT, the performance numbers would not change at all but smoothness gets highly effected. I set ASW to Adaptive, and while I am getting the same fps and frame times as before, flying at treetop level is smoother than ever. If I look 90 degrees to the side the trees are not ghosting or stuttering at all and the sensation of speed is amazing. These resolution and super sampling settings, however, are not that great. Details do not show on objects that are further away like the carrier deck on final approach, or the enemy aircraft's wings in a dogfight are hard to see without zooming in. The only solution to improve these effects is increasing MSAA in DCS, increasing super sampling in OTT, or increase resolution in Oculus Link. All of these will reduce the smoothness and I just could not find a better balance than the settings above. If fps starts to dip below 45 and frame time goes up in the 30ms range smoothness is totally lost.  

I find that the most detrimental to performance is MSAA and super sampling used together. Anyway, I got fed up with the constant tweaking, and I turned off MSAA and super sampling. I went nuts and set resolution to the maximum which is 5407x2736 in Oculus Link. To my surprise it works! The high resolution takes care of the jagged edges and the details. Fps is mostly 45 with 22ms frame time and it does jump up to 90 over open areas or flying high. Basically, I am getting the same performance as with the settings described above with much higher image quality without MSAA and super sampling. It feels very smooth and the details are amazing. 

Important note: I updated my Nvidia driver yesterday and the high performance was gone, and DCS became unplayable with the high res Oculus settings. I rolled back the driver to 457.51 and it is okay again.

System:
i7-8700k stock
2080ti overclocked
32 GB RAM
  • Like 1

Anyone else experiencing a difference in image between both lenses with the Quest 2? And if yes, any solution to it?

The issue is mostly visible with planes like the MiG-15, L-39, MiG-21. If I'm sitting perfectly centered and looking through each lens, these are the 2 images I'm seeing and the HUD is not aligned.

image.png

Edited by 2IAE-CrashBG

Asus tuf gaming 570 plus wifi

ryzen 3800x

32 gb raam 4 sticks G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 16GB RGB PC4-28800 DDR4 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39  F4-3600C16D-16GTZNC set to 1900 fclk 3800 in bios

1 tb samsung 970 evo plus for win 10 updated to rev 2004

2 tb samsung 970 evo plus FOr DCS

power color radeon 5700 non xt overclocked to 1850mhz stable  in radeon software vram overclocked(set as high as allowed)

2 vkb nxt for a hosas setup 

quest 2 64gb w oculus link cable plugged directly to usbC on motherboard

I setup Precision boost overdrive for my mainboard in bios also set fclck to 1900 and ram to 1.4v 3800  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdoDtD4oay0

I started fresh new windows install. I did all the windows tuning from   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSH1JwNPHA8&feature=emb_logo

I did all the VR optimization here but no shaders mod as it breaks integrityhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyrAIhXFpv0&feature=emb_logo

I set the oculus tray tool every way possible still experimenting have use encode resolution of 3664 3648 not sure what to use bit rate has been 500 have not experimented wit that.

If you have any suggestion please let me know I have been at this for a while and can not seem to make any breakthroughs.

I have built hundreds of computers most of them for profit. I'm gonna need a hand thanks for reading maybe something I have here can help someone else.

If I set bitrate to 500 in the Oculus Tray Tool head movement becomes very jittery for me. Setting it to 150 makes everything smooth. I experimented with the encode resolution settings, but I did not see any change. My resolution is set to the max in Oculus Link (see post above).  

Edited by Argo Navis

Would be very helpful to everyone setting these up if those who have working setups really laid out your hardware and settings. This is a very complex thing to get working depending on your hardware.

Ive loaded DCS so many times trying to narrow down the settings im dizy lolz

headset on headset off repeat ad infinitum

Hi all,

I recently got a quest 2 and have been using it with dcs over the link. The immersion is awesome but I’m having a problem with stuttering. I’ve updated drivers, followed tips to optimize dcs for vr, put the dcs settings high and low, and I checked my system usage, none of those are the problems. My system specs are:

Ryzen 5 3600x

RTX 3070

32gb ram

Really hoping I can get this figured out and running smooth soon. I’ve attached a picture of the steam vr “performance graph” to this post. The stutters all occur when the red lines appear on the graph. 

58917126-517A-4E96-AC92-FE12311E2F86.jpeg

On 12/9/2020 at 2:11 PM, tabletten said:

I’m having sync issues with the oculus quest 2. The problem only appears iI I move the head laterally. Moving the head lo look around do not cause any sync issue. Laptop with rtx2070. I dont have the vsync fast in the nvidia control panel.

Did you solve this?

I have big jitteries and ghosting almost only when moving the visual laterally....Tried both with the Quest 2 and the Rift S it is the same indipendently from the PD (tried with every value between 1.0 and 1.4). It seems it maybe related to this issue here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/402768/valve-index-missing-dropped-frames-since-nvidia-d/.

Seems that the last working version of the nvidia drivers is a version from may (should be 446.14) I cannot try right now as i am not home for the holidays...but could you try if downgrading the drivers solves the issue?

Thanks

On 12/19/2020 at 6:34 AM, Argo Navis said:

If I set bitrate to 500 in the Oculus Tray Tool head movement becomes very jittery for me. Setting it to 150 makes everything smooth. I experimented with the encode resolution settings, but I did not see any change. My resolution is set to the max in Oculus Link (see post above).  

I suggest to lower the bitrate....the quest 2 developers stated that over 350 are only diminuishing returns and issues with CPU utlization (the CPU need to do the encoding).

Better set to 0 (auto) or max 350. Personally I use 150 and cannot see any difference going up honestly.

12 minutes ago, TepidMoose said:

Hi all,

I recently got a quest 2 and have been using it with dcs over the link. The immersion is awesome but I’m having a problem with stuttering. I’ve updated drivers, followed tips to optimize dcs for vr, put the dcs settings high and low, and I checked my system usage, none of those are the problems. My system specs are:

Ryzen 5 3600x

RTX 3070

32gb ram

Really hoping I can get this figured out and running smooth soon. I’ve attached a picture of the steam vr “performance graph” to this post. The stutters all occur when the red lines appear on the graph. 

58917126-517A-4E96-AC92-FE12311E2F86.jpeg

Ho do you manage to run DCS VR through SteamVR?

I cannot, it launches with the Oculus runtime....I would like to try if using SteamVR there are differences.

About your issue I am having similar ones.....read above...

Could be an issue with Nvidia Drivers...try with version 446.14

Edited by VirusAM

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

30 minutes ago, VirusAM said:

Did you solve this?

I have big jitteries and ghosting almost only when moving the visual laterally....Tried both with the Quest 2 and the Rift S it is the same indipendently from the PD (tried with every value between 1.0 and 1.4). It seems it maybe related to this issue here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/402768/valve-index-missing-dropped-frames-since-nvidia-d/.

Seems that the last working version of the nvidia drivers is a version from may (should be 446.14) I cannot try right now as i am not home for the holidays...but could you try if downgrading the drivers solves the issue?

Thanks

I suggest to lower the bitrate....the quest 2 developers stated that over 350 are only diminuishing returns and issues with CPU utlization (the CPU need to do the encoding).

Better set to 0 (auto) or max 350. Personally I use 150 and cannot see any difference going up honestly.

I cannot, it launches with the Oculus runtime....I would like to try if using SteamVR there are differences.

Thanks, I’ll try that. Pretty simply when I’ve got steam vr installed on my computer and I plug into the link, I can click on and open steam vr through the quest 2

37 minutes ago, VirusAM said:

Did you solve this?

Thanks

Actually looking at it, I have a 3070, those drivers aren’t for my card...