Add a delay after player requests to change aircraft or go to spectator on MP server?

darkman222

I was wondering if there is a way to add a delay, when a player wants to switch aircraft or go back to spectator on MP servers. It is because there is a raising amount of players on MP servers who just change the aircraft or go to spectators to avoid being killed. I imagine it to go like that. Player requests to change aircraft, or go to spectators then a countdown of maybe 60 seconds starts until the request actually happens. So 60 seconds should be long enough for the offender to get the kill and not a too long amount of time to wait for a player who really just wants to swap aircraft. Is there some functionality already implemented in DCS to do this?

• Like 3

The problem are the players, not DCS. ;)

As DCS grows its player base you have to anticipate that some new players will be like that.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

It is just not just that a few players are like that. In the past two months it became a practice of 30 % of people doing it on dogfight servers. Which is really disappointing. Because we're not playing an arcade game. We are a community with people who want to have fun, but also some who want to take it serious. So maybe if it is possible to give MP creators just a checkbox, like the the Tacview delayed replay checkbox, which makes in our case, someone sit 60 more seconds in an aircraft, he wants to abandon, because he maybe just screwed up. 60 seconds is enough to kill him, if he screwed up. But 60 seconds is not too long to wait if he just wants to take another aircraft. It would help the MP community a lot. Request to ED? <- question mark! +1

It is not 30%. Nowhere close to that. 5% is enough to be extremely annoying, though. see comment in next post.

Because we're not playing an arcade game.

I don't think there is any game genre where it is OK to just abandon your role when you are about to die. The irony is that it is the "arcade" games that do a better job of preventing this kind of crap. The developers anticipate bad behavior and so do a better job of preventing it. Whatever exploits can be used will be used in a multiplayer game. That has been true since I first started playing games online in the 1990s. This is also why a lot of DCS multiplayer just takes place between friends who know each other. Being on voice with other players takes away the annonymity that primes the bad behavior.

But abandonning the slot is not the only exploit I see. The 60 second suggestion is a good start but I also see stuff like....

• Attacking someone who air-starts the moment he spawns into his aircraft
  • Cratering the active runways when it is not a mission objective
  • Very unbalanced team ratios with people unwilling to switch
  • Maliciously blocking taxiway chokepoints to preven others from reaching the runway
  • Intentional team killing / team ramming

ED leaves it up to the community to provide solutions, but a little help from the developer would be nice.

So, yeah, +1.:thumbup:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I was wrong. Your 30% estimate is not the exaggeration I thought it was. Just to see I spectated to see what people do, and many exit their slot to immediately get a new jet whenever they like. Wow.

Exiting the slot whenever people want to is not the problem. Sure, go home to your base, when no bad guy is around, get a new aircraft , and go back to the fighting again. Exiting it when people are in a disadvantage is the problem. Someone who has no flares left, tries to escape. Gets shot at, exits before the missile can reach him. Even though it would not count as a kill, thats not the problem I have with it. I don't care for score. But I care for fun. And this is frustrating and disrespectful for someone who was winning the fight.

@darkman222 It is too a problem. They might not be losing a fight, but they are switching slots because they are out of missiles/ammo, their jet is damaged, and so on.

Like I said. I really would love to see that feature not because I care about score. I care about fun. If that feature makes people getting used to not jump out of a fight whenever they wish to, it will add a lot more of fun to it.

Please ED make it happen for all MP players and MP server hosters.

• 6 months later...