DLC Question

rstandi

I know I probably need a Hotas upgrade, but currently my dlc is mapped to a 4 way hat. When I turn on DLC it is half way up. If I push the hat forward, the DLC extends fully and if I pull it aft it closes completely. I’m assuming it is incremental with the wheel adjuster in real life . Not just all, middle or nothing. All I know is I stall coining out of the base turn every time. Super frustrated.

anyone have any help ideas. I also realized I was starting the whole landing at 250 knots instead of 350. That has helped keep the speed up through the turn to final.

thanks,

rstandi

DLC is best used as temporary correction without power or pitch changes so it's good to have it setup like you already have. It's also spring loaded wheel IRL - it goes back to the center if you don't hold it.

For the base turn you have to add power to keep the right descent rate, onspeed and AoA.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

You could also turn on the APC (Approach Power Compensator) as you fly the pattern to get an idea of how much power is required. There is some lag as it tries to get you on the right AoA but so long as you're smooth on the stick it's not that big a deal.

DLC in real life is all out, all in, or middle only. Not incremental. As far as usage, DLC should be turned on downwind if desired, and should only be tapped in/out once or twice, rapidly, when coming in over the wires. DLC is not meant to fix problems with approach. It is meant to turn a 2-wire or a 4-wire into a 3-wire. I often leave it disengaged or just turn it on (middle position) and use it to get extra drag to increase my throttle response.

DLC in real life is all out, all in, or middle only. Not incremental.

No... spoiler deflection is proportional to the degree of thumbwheel rotation.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

.... DLC is not meant to fix problems with approach. It is meant to turn a 2-wire or a 4-wire into a 3-wire.

No... DLC is almost exclusively designed to provide vertical glidepath corrections on approach - without, as mentioned above - changing engine power setting or angle of attack.

i7-8700K / 64GB RAM / ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti / (Win 10 Pro) / Oculus Rift S

No... DLC is almost exclusively designed to provide vertical glidepath corrections on approach - without, as mentioned above - changing engine power setting or angle of attack.

You're conflating what it does and how it's used. Victory's PDF (which is unfortunately no longer available) explicitly says to tap once or twice, "never thrice" when over the wires. Needing DLC prior to that on approach is simply using it as a crutch to salvage poor airmanship. You can trap the Tomcat without DLC entirely.

You're conflating what it does and how it's used. Victory's PDF (which is unfortunately no longer available) explicitly says to tap once or twice, "never thrice" when over the wires. Needing DLC prior to that on approach is simply using it as a crutch to salvage poor airmanship. You can trap the Tomcat without DLC entirely.

So you're saying when I'm coming in fast and high and I slam on that DLC for like 10 seconds straight................

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Allow me to conflate more - "to provide vertical glidepath corrections on approach," which is a quote from the NATOPS flight manual. You quoted Victory who conveyed the book's "DLC may be employed by venier or bang-bang control" and both are obviously correct. The approach include all of it right down to your favorite wire, if that's your thing.

So, saying "DLC is not meant to fix problems with approach" when the book (and Victory, I believe) says it should be used for all approaches would be incorrect, no?

i7-8700K / 64GB RAM / ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti / (Win 10 Pro) / Oculus Rift S

If you go flat over the ramp, you will notice a rising ball. If this is the case, then ease the power and

bang twice on the DLC.

You thought I forgot about DLC didn’t you?

“Bang twice, no more no less, never thrice and never just once. Twice it shall be if needed at all to fly

the ball…”

You can quote me on that.

Don’t hold the button down, but don’t be timid, hit it twice to keep the ball from rising while easing the power a smidge and get it back on when you see the ball stop going up. You may need a burst of throttle if you hold the button and come down like a ton of proverbial bricks, but usually not. If you need more DLC than what I described, you’re probably out of parameters. Take your Bolter like a man. Fly the pass with throttles for glideslope control. DLC is not designed for use throughout the approach for reasons beyond the scope of this missive. There are warnings all over NATOPS about this. The engines are quick to respond, put them to good use for glideslope control.

Direct quote from his paper, and exactly what I summarized in this thread. Relevant points in bold.