Increasing accuracy with AKAN and Single fire rockets

So i've been flying the viggen for quite some time now, but one thing I haven't been able to do properly is to get shots on target with the AKAN and single fire rockets. I know the viggen is designed to spray the rockets and that works just fine, but in some multiplayer missions there is a lot of single targets and they are spread out so I want to try to take out more than 1 target per attack, and going back and forth with RB75 is getting a bit boring.

So I am looking for some advice to help get the shots on target, whenever I use the AKAN, I put the QFE on the nearest possible value based on kneeboard, I make a gentle dive, fire when the last firing order is visible (wings) but first burst of the AKAN always fall short and I need to fire a bit longer to start hitting the target, which waste precious ammo. While I do the same with rockets in single fire mode, they often hit slightly behind the target. Some of the times its just my poor aproach and aiming, but sometimes im on a perfect attack run with the target spot on the "dot" and QFE is set, fire when I get the wings. Yet it hits behind most of the time.

As I understood this method was mainly used for training in the viggen, but getting a hang of it would be useful on some missions.

So i'm reaching out to fellow pilots if there is any tip or tricks.

There is a reason all the rockets are released at once when you don't use the "training rocket" mode. Saturate the target area in explosions.

QFE is helpful, but rockets and cannons use radar ranging as indicated by the fin in the HUD.

Gentle dive is not what you want, roll onto the target from an offset. Dive with enough angle to start the ranging computation. Keep exposure time low.

Unguided rockets have always been an area weapon. Expecting to consistently take out small, individual targets with one rocket is way optimistic with any aircraft, not just the Viggen.

Imo, the best loadouts for loitering over an area and taking out multiple targets are 4xRB-75,or 2xRB-05 plus gunpods (it's the only a2g weapon combination that you can use).

• Like 1

So i've been flying the viggen for quite some time now, but one thing I haven't been able to do properly is to get shots on target with the AKAN and single fire rockets. I know the viggen is designed to spray the rockets and that works just fine, but in some multiplayer missions there is a lot of single targets and they are spread out so I want to try to take out more than 1 target per attack, and going back and forth with RB75 is getting a bit boring.

So I am looking for some advice to help get the shots on target, whenever I use the AKAN, I put the QFE on the nearest possible value based on kneeboard, I make a gentle dive, fire when the last firing order is visible (wings) but first burst of the AKAN always fall short and I need to fire a bit longer to start hitting the target, which waste precious ammo. While I do the same with rockets in single fire mode, they often hit slightly behind the target. Some of the times its just my poor aproach and aiming, but sometimes im on a perfect attack run with the target spot on the "dot" and QFE is set, fire when I get the wings. Yet it hits behind most of the time.

As I understood this method was mainly used for training in the viggen, but getting a hang of it would be useful on some missions.

So i'm reaching out to fellow pilots if there is any tip or tricks.

I have the same problem. You dont need to release all rockets at one time. You can choose to fire 4 at a time also with the singel/serie switch, or what it’s called..

If the dive angel is to shallow the rockets always go long for me. It feels like you need like at least 30 degree dive angel to hit good with the rockets.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

The ARAK's for CAS work fine for me. I often hit 6 separate targets in 6 passes with impuls mode fine.

I keep a steep angle and have the trigger unsafe as soon as the pipper is very stable on target for as long as possible for a good radar ranging.

I often depate with myself whether to take 4x RB75 and have 4 splashes safe, or take the ARAK and try to splash 6...

AKAN + Rb05 work not as good for me in terms of accuracy sometimes. Maybe I always miss the right shooting point for the gunpods...

Alias in Discord: Mailman

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone kindly cross-check the OPs issue in regards to the AKAN gunpod?

Because I have the same issue. Even after setting QFE for target and just to be sure disabling target motion via CK37 again ( think its off anyway by default)

the bullets always end up short of target, when they are fired at latest firing cue , i.e. wings cue according to the manual.

The ARAK rockest seem to be fine , or the spread and fragmention compensates for error, I dont know.

But the AKAN seems to me as well to end up short of target, even if flown according to manual.

I tried a lot of times now and I cant really say I got it to function reliably.

Kind regards,

Snappy

I have been refreshing my Viggen to fly it again, and found that the bullets landed on target if I fired slightly after the wings appeared, as RangarDa suggested. If I fired when they appear or when the distance marker reaches zero, the bullets do land short.

I have been refreshing my Viggen to fly it again, and found that the bullets landed on target if I fired slightly after the wings appeared, as RangarDa suggested. If I fired when they appear or when the distance marker reaches zero, the bullets do land short.

Is RagnarDa alive?

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

I should try this... the AKAN have always been a miss or miss for me unless I just emptied them in a pass in spray'n'pray style for which they spread far too little actually. So I guess they are supposed to hit actually without handling them like watercans.

One of my gripes there though is the fact that they do not converge. I do have the impression that they should, especially since you ought to shoot them at a certain range for the reticle to be accurate. But well, guns convergence and/or harmonization is a topic that's even heavily debated by ED as in the community kept asking for it and they keep telling no, so I guess it's simply not possible technically with DCS at the moment.

Is RagnarDa alive?

I suspect he's heavily hacking the Tornado... or F-111F... luna-trcv.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Yes thanks, that works as a crutch, but I hope this gets fixed / improved on the release version.

because contrary to a clear symbology(according to manual) that signals when exactly to shoot , now you have to guesstimate how much time after wings appearance to pull the trigger, which certainly degrades accuracy and increases ammo usage to ensure hits.

Especially in scenarios where you don’t like to do a second pass due to threat presence.

Wishing for a bit more developers presence too in the Viggen forums.

The Viggen is a fun plane , but many smaller annoying bugs mess it up at times, though it is likely still in a much more refined stage than other modules out there.

kind regards,

Snappy

There is a reason all the rockets are released at once when you don't use the "training rocket" mode.

Interesting you mention single rocket fire as "training rocket mode". Did you find this in the manual or somewhere else?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Yes thanks, that works as a crutch, but I hope this gets fixed / improved on the release version.

because contrary to a clear symbology(according to manual) that signals when exactly to shoot , now you have to guesstimate how much time after wings appearance to pull the trigger, which certainly degrades accuracy and increases ammo usage to ensure hits.

Especially in scenarios where you don’t like to do a second pass due to threat presence.

Wishing for a bit more developers presence too in the Viggen forums.

The Viggen is a fun plane , but many smaller annoying bugs mess it up at times, though it is likely still in a much more refined stage than other modules out there.

kind regards,

Snappy

I'm not sure it's a crutch though, because iirc @RagnarDa has stated that that's how the system is intended to work. I know the manual says otherwise, but it could be that the information there is outdated.

I do agree on the dev presence though, it's been a bit empty the last few months.

I'm not sure it's a crutch though, because iirc @RagnarDa has stated that that's how the system is intended to work. I know the manual says otherwise, but it could be that the information there is outdated.

I do agree on the dev presence though, it's been a bit empty the last few months.

Maybe so, but I still think its buggy in the present state. In my experience you need to wait much longer than .5 second after the firing signal/wings to reliably get shots on target and not short of it.

Plus the real aircraft's "SFI AJ 37 del 2 kap 1" manual seems to imply that the wings are indeed a firing signal, while the flashing of the distance line is a warning you are approaching firing distance.

It doesn' t make sense to me, that the wings should be another (2nd) heads-up before actually pressing the trigger later.

I could see the .5 second being built in for pilots reaction time upon signal, but as I said, I find that you need to wait longer to get the rounds not to fall short.

Or you have to pull the trigger for long to make sure the last rounds make it to the target.

If someone has a track where he can see make it work it with the present system and only .5 seconds delay I'd be interested to see it.

Kind regards,

Snappy.

• Like 1