Virpil 2-way toggles config

HC_Official

Really useful video - as always. However, I'm struggling to see the advantage of doing this. Currently, I use these switches to toggle stuff like landing gear or canopy open/close. I have nothing mapped to the down position. So, for example, I bind the forward switch to canopy open/close toggle and any time I push the switch forward, it opens or closes. I tried having the switches mapped to activate forward as open and back as close, but that had to be bound as two buttons in DCS as opposed to the one toggle button.

Your example of flaps is interesting, but I always have flaps bound to a 3 way switch (the re-centring ones) so holding forward brings flaps up and backwards brings them down. Some aircraft need more than a momentary switch and require the flaps to be held up or down until the desired position is achieved.

Surely, if these switches are set to toggle on, then any change of state activates the 'other' button which you don't always want. Also, does it not mean that you have to check the state of all the 2-ways switches at start up?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

If you have tried this out and dont like it, it is easy to revert your config (best export it off before trying stuff)

It is your Virpil kit and you are the one using it, go with what works best for you

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

From a beginners point of view there are 2 things:

1. How to tell the Virpil device to behave like desired? The video answers that.
  2. What to do with certain button functions or why do I want the button to behave like this? Well, I would appreciate to give this part a little more room within the videos.

In my first modul A-10C - to make use of the red 2 way switches as shown in the video is for instance gear up and gear down (switch up or down). So I bind the dedicated up and down button offered by DCS. I do like the idea, the device fires the key one time, not pressing + holding it all the time (because it is not necessary). If one would use the gear toggle instead, the 2 way switches might not be the right ones to use. A single button might suit better.

For flaps I rather prefer a momentary button because I need independent up and down. The A-10 uses 3 different states (up,middle,full), while the input allows only for up+1 and down-1. To go from nothing to full needs 2x down. So momentary switch up is up and down is down. The red 2 way switches won’t work here - I think. I am still thinking about how to make use of the flaps axis of the throttle for this A-10 use case.

2 position flaps will work with this(that do not require holding down of the control) , 3 position not so much

Use it for what ever works for you or leave it as is and edit lua config files for hte aircraft you want to use it in

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.