Why Heatblur should do the F-111 next!

Lurker

Just like the title says here are some reasons why Heatblur Simulations should bring this awesome plane to life as their next project in DCS World. Feel free to add reasons of your own and discuss below! :)

1) Swing Wing design: Heatblur have already created the first swing wing design in DCS World with the F14, and this commonality is shared with the Aardvark.

2) TF30 Engines: Another even bigger commonality that the Aardvark shares with the F14A, this would make creating the power systems of the Aardvark a breeze

3) AI & Multicrew: Heatblur are pioneers in this field, both with Jester and a fully functional multicrew cockpit in DCS World. With Jester they already have a basis from which to start, in the F-111 Jester would be the guy doing the navigating and dropping the payload.

4) Ground Radar & Terrain Following: With the raycasting technology used in the Viggen, Heatblur already have the basis for a ground radar that could be modified for use with the F-111 and would simplify the implementation of it's legendary terrain following technology.

5) Supersonic Interdiction & Regular Bomber: The F-111 served in multiple wars (including Vietnam) as the premier strike and bombing platform of the US Air Force. As such it can be put to good use both in single player campaigns and missions, as well as historic multiplayer environments.

6) Look at it! Just look at it :)

F-111.thumb.jpg.5fa27151686eb27ba91e9957c1094f1a.jpg

• Like 17

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

I would prefer the Tornado, where all your points apply as well, except the engines, but therefor the Tornado has thrust reverse, which HB has modeled already for the Viggen :pilotfly:

• Like 3

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I would prefer the Tornado, where all your points apply as well, except the engines, but therefor the Tornado has thrust reverse, which HB has modeled already for the Viggen :pilotfly:

Yes a lot of people do seem to like the Tornado. But the Tornado is an aircraft that was really designed to be a multi-role fighter/bomber. We already have a number of these planes in the game. Why not a dedicated bomber, one that can carry a huge amount of ordnance and do interdiction/strike missions and one that fought in iconic wars? Also, Look at it. Look at it? :)

I'm not a fan of the Tornado, not really. It's a multi-role airplane that is not really the master of any of it's roles. It's small, and over-engineered. But I guess Im in a small minority. :(

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Yes a lot of people do seem to like the Tornado. But the Tornado is an aircraft that was really designed to be a multi-role fighter/bomber. We already have a number of these planes in the game. Why not a dedicated bomber, one that can carry a huge amount of ordnance and do interdiction/strike missions and one that fought in iconic wars? Also, Look at it. Look at it? :)

I'm not a fan of the Tornado, not really. It's a multi-role airplane that is not really the master of any of it's roles. It's small, and over-engineered. But I guess Im in a small minority. :(

Despite the Tornado's official designation as MRCA (Multi Role Combat Aircraft), it's far from that. The Tornado is a dedicated strike aircraft and interdictor. It's A-A capabilities are not much greater than those of the F-111. Yes, there is the british ADV variant, but it's very different to all the other Tornado variants and if anything, it showed that the Tornado is not a good choice for air combat.

So no, the Tornado is not a multirole aircraft (it doesn't even has an A-A radar!). Its bread and butter job were low level high speed interdiction strikes, just like the F-111. And even more so than the F-111 it fought in all the iconic wars from the Cold War and Dessert Storm to Afghanistan, Libya and Syria.

And yeah, just look at it :)

Panavia-Tornado-der-Luftwaffe-169FullWidth-a11102e2-1611104.thumb.jpg.b589a405ade70a056c2bba5436c15c27.jpg

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 3

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

While I appreciate your opinion and coming here to comment in my thread, this is an F-111 thread. Please refrain from posting about the Tornado here. You already have a HUGE Tornado thread in this forum. Thank you. For everyone else, let's hear why you wan't the F-111! I will add one more reason :)

7) 1960's tech: Despite featuring old tech, or perhaps because of it, it will be very interesting to fly. It's "steam-gauge" avionics suite is pure pilot bliss, especially for those of us who enjoy the Tomcat's similar setup. One other advantage for developers? It's probably all declassified and would not be difficult to licence or get good information on. Despite this, the real airframe featured some innovative tech and served from 1964 to 2010.

Edited by Lurker
  • Thanks 2

Gotta say I'm kind of disappointed. In the entire thread so far, I've only had two replies and both have been about other jets. I guess the F-111 is just something people don't want to see in DCS. I find that a shame, since it would be the only playable medium bomber (despite it's F designation) in the game if it was implemented. :(

As much as I would like the F-111 (especially the low level ingress ride) it is not my first choice for a HB twin seat bomber from Vietnam. The sheer range, payload, and speed of the thing would be amazing, but which model would you want? There are quite a few Earthpigs out there. It would certainly make for interesting gameplay as its only defense is running like hell, but it could do it well.

Just like the title says here are some reasons why Heatblur Simulations should bring this awesome plane to life as their next project in DCS World. Feel free to add reasons of your own and discuss below! :)

1) Swing Wing design: Heatblur have already created the first swing wing design in DCS World with the F14, and this commonality is shared with the Aardvark.

2) TF30 Engines: Another even bigger commonality that the Aardvark shares with the F14A, this would make creating the power systems of the Aardvark a breeze

3) AI & Multicrew: Heatblur are pioneers in this field, both with Jester and a fully functional multicrew cockpit in DCS World. With Jester they already have a basis from which to start, in the F-111 Jester would be the guy doing the navigating and dropping the payload.

4) Ground Radar & Terrain Following: With the raycasting technology used in the Viggen, Heatblur already have the basis for a ground radar that could be modified for use with the F-111 and would simplify the implementation of it's legendary terrain following technology.

5) Supersonic Interdiction & Regular Bomber: The F-111 served in multiple wars (including Vietnam) as the premier strike and bombing platform of the US Air Force. As such it can be put to good use both in single player campaigns and missions, as well as historic multiplayer environments.

6) Look at it! Just look at it :)

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tF-111.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t492.5 KB ID:\t7114098","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7114098","data-size":"full","title":"F-111.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

+1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Naah, gimme Intruder. They already have a 3D model.

You see this is interesting. I just can't get excited for the Tadpole. I know they are iconic planes in their own right, but they are basically slow, lumbering bomb-trucks. Without proper air support (CAP) or a cleared airspace I think in DCS the tadpole would be next to useless. Sure it can launch and land off a carrier, but we've already got two planes which do the very same thing. (Not to mention that the F14B with the Lantirn pod is as capable or even more so) Let me add that as another reason for the F-111 :)

8. Interdiction: You see DCS World does many things well, but what it does very poorly is mission package integration. This is where even a lone F-111 can shine, it's speed at low altitudes, all-weather capability, and extremely long legs allow it to penetrate heavy air defences even without a CAP, drop it's payload (usually hefty payload) and egress. This capability is still missing in DCS World, with only the Viggen coming close.

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

9) Interdiction: You see DCS World does many things well, but what it does very poorly is mission package integration.

This is a good point and is something that makes my Viggen experience in DCS rather frustrating, because DCS just doesn't provide the environment needed for interdictors. In Falcon 4 for example, you have the dynamic campaign that has a great system for mission package integration and it's a ton of fun to do interdiction strikes behind the front line. In DCS on the otherhand I just don't really get this experience, especially not in multiplayer.

I really hope this changes when the dynamic campaign arrives for DCS, giving a new purpose for interdictors like the Viggen or a potential Aardvark, Tornado or Intruder.

• Like 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

This is a good point and is something that makes my Viggen experience in DCS rather frustrating, because DCS just doesn't provide the environment needed for interdictors. In Falcon 4 for example, you have the dynamic campaign that has a great system for mission package integration and it's a ton of fun to do interdiction strikes behind the front line. In DCS on the other hand I just don't really get this experience, especially not in multiplayer.

I really hope this changes when the dynamic campaign arrives for DCS, giving a new purpose for interdictors like the Viggen or a potential Aardvark, Tornado or Intruder.

I think the biggest problem (at least in the multiplayer environment) is that server admins simply don't bother integrating the Viggen into their multiplayer missions unless there are shipping targets involved, other aircraft are also capable of low level interdiction, but the mission designers simply don't bother with the details of setting up a pre-flight plan or with even giving them a proper mission structure or enemy assets which are worthwhile bombing targets.

Is it possible to take out airfields in DCS? (As in damaging the airstrip itself?)

The Viggen also has a finnicky nav and targeting computer which takes some skill and knowledge to set-up properly, so that you can pre-program your own mission, this kind of also limits it's use online. But surely there must be good single player missions for the Viggen? (I don't own Heatblur's Viggen, just the F14, but Im thinking of getting it just so I can get my fast strike bombing fix)

I don't know what that is, maybe DCS lacks the kinds of bombing targets that these fighter aircraft are capable of striking, or that it's simply easier taking out air defenses and sending in A-10s?

Edited by Lurker

I think the biggest problem (at least in the multiplayer environment) is that server admins simply don't bother integrating the Viggen into their multiplayer missions unless there are shipping targets involved, other aircraft are also capable of low level interdiction, but the mission designers simply don't bother with the details of setting up a pre-flight plan or with even giving them a proper mission structure or enemy assets which are worthwhile bombing targets.

Is it possible to take out airfields in DCS? (As in damaging the airstrip itself?)

The Viggen also has a finnicky nav and targeting computer which takes some skill and knowledge to set-up properly, so that you can pre-program your own mission, this kind of also limits it's use online. But surely there must be good single player missions for the Viggen? (I don't own Heatblur's Viggen, just the F14, but Im thinking of getting it just so I can get my fast strike bombing fix)

I don't know what that is, maybe DCS lacks the kinds of bombing targets that these fighter aircraft are capable of striking, or that it's simply easier taking out air defenses and sending in A-10s?

DCS does have such targets, be it airports (which can be damaged) or military bases or industrial sites (which can be set up in the mission editor). What DCS lacks is the bigger picture to put such strike missions in. In Falcon you can take out infrastructure behind enemy lines (industry, bridges, ...) and actually harm the enemie's war effort. This is not a thing in DCS. It also takes a lot of the fun away from doing sneaky interdiction strikes if there is no whole (air) war raging around you.

• Like 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeah, I would love an F-111F (well, I'd take any variant, but an 80s-90s F is my first choice). I love the idea of very low and very fast interdiction/strike which the F-111 is a great fit, as well as perfectly fitting the majority of DCS assets.

As for the others, I simply find the F-111 more interesting, and prettier than the Tornado. Plus the sheer payload the thing can carry, as well as being something a little more different than the stuff we're currently used to. Not to mention that we already have the perfect peer counterpart to the F-111 (even if AI) with the Su-24M.

The Intruder is already WIP as an AI model, and licensing permitting, a full-fidelity module seems likely.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Yeah, I would love an F-111F (well, I'd take any variant, but an 80s-90s F is my first choice). I love the idea of very low and very fast interdiction, and I simply find the F-111 more interesting (and prettier) than the Tornado but this is just a matter of opinion. Plus, the sheer amount of payload the thing can carry.

The A-6E TRAM/SWIP Intruder is another plane that would be fantastic, but Heatblur are already working on an AI version, and a full-fidelity module seems likely, licensing permitting AFAIK.

Lets put that into a formal reason for the existence of Heatblur's F-111:

9) Payload: A hugely impressive 31,500 lb (14,300 kg) of maximum payload, which is double the payload of a Phantom F4 at over 2.5 times the Phanotm's range!

• Like 1

This gets into something I have noticed more and more as DCS's public server multiplayer scene has grown over the years. At its core, DCS is a very good "single sortie simulator" where someone builds a stand-alone, single use mission with a defined beginning, middle, and end. This is where you are going to find a lot of DCS's strengths as a platform come into their own. The problem with these kinds of missions is that they simply can't work in a public server setting. In a public server, you need scenarios that are pretty open ended, sustainable for long periods of time, and allow for players of wildly different skill/knowledge levels to jump in at any point and feel like they are participating meaningfully.

I suppose what I am trying to get at is that in a public server environment, aircraft modules that favor carefully planned sorties are going to feel less satisfying because the mission makers who design public server scenarios can't really do much more. Modules like the Viggen are great in small-scale co-op or single player where you can really explore them but in a public server, they need more attention than the mission maker can reasonably give them.

• Like 1

Naah. I want the A6 since they already are doing detailed 3d model.

Yes they are doing an updated 3d model for the AI version of the Intruder. It might mean that we will be getting a module at some point, it might not. Was there another reason why you needed to post the exact same reply to this thread twice?