How Do You Beat a JF-17 in a Hornet??? (guns only 1v1)

CommandT

So, first time ever dogfighting a JF-17 in a Hornet on one of the servers today. Got my ass handed to me 100%. Tried rate fighting, tried radius fighting, tried everything I could think of. The only thing I think I could maybe do is outrun or out-climb it but not significantly to turn that into my advantage. The only tactic I found to work is try to force a 1 circle after the merge and try to get a quick head on shot. Otherwise it really felt like I was doomed. So basically I'm sitting here thinking ... what the hell...

Any ideas? How is this bloody Chinese thing so good? I thought at low speed, high AoA the Hornet would wipe the floor with it - errr, wrong...

For reference majority of the time I didn't use the paddle switch but I did try it few time but again couldn't really turn that into an advantage.

It's a third party chinese module. What's not to trust? You must be another Jeff hater. /s

• Like 2

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

It's a third party chinese module. What's not to trust? You must be another Jeff hater. /s

What makes you think I'm a hater? I'm just confused. Genuinly wondering how to fight a JF-17. Was not expecting it to be a serious opponent in 1v1 guns only, I was wrong.

Also, ED are very careful about realism and what they allow so I don't doubt the real thing could be a serious opponent.

At high AOA, why do you think the Hornet must be superior? I have no idea which is better, but the JF-17 has large leading edge extensions just like the Hornet. Both seem to be fairly good in a 1-circle fight. Of course, there seems to be more public data on the Hornet than the JF-17 in this regard, so it's hard to say really.

One major advantage of the Hornet's in a 2-circle fight is of course the AIM-9X and JHMCS. Fuel should also be to the Hornet's favor, I believe, so 2-circle would be the best way to go in theory.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Try playing more vertical as your aircraft has more thrust, force him into 1 circle fights as he will have a advantage in 2 circles, try diving and regaining speed to turn hard and kill him but watch out not to fight too low against him

What makes you think I'm a hater? I'm just confused. Genuinly wondering how to fight a JF-17. Was not expecting it to be a serious opponent in 1v1 guns only, I was wrong.

Also, ED are very careful about realism and what they allow so I don't doubt the real thing could be a serious opponent.

/s means sarcasm. :)

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Try playing more vertical as your aircraft has more thrust, force him into 1 circle fights as he will have a advantage in 2 circles, try diving and regaining speed to turn hard and kill him but watch out not to fight too low against him

Well, I've been only fighting AI for quite a while so I can only offer a limited perspective on this:

As far as gun fights only are concerned, I usually setup a jeff or a tomcat B as opponents... of course at 'ace' level. The cat will bleed energy although it can flip around like a Raptor or SU30.

The AI jeff doesn't bleed energy so it usually takes me a bit longer to smoke him but I always do because... there is a maneuver, and with this magic maneuver I care less if we go 1 or 2 circle (guns only) Yea I know, AI is stupid so I can only claim to be the ace of the AI base :glare:

The problem is behind the stick. The only answer is to practice and get more proficient at BFM. Learn to recognize angles and openings, and take advantage of them. Minimize your errors. The JF-17 pilot was either just good, or swooped in when he/she saw you make an error.

The problem is behind the stick. The only answer is to practice and get more proficient at BFM. Learn to recognize angles and openings, and take advantage of them. Minimize your errors. The JF-17 pilot was either just good, or swooped in when he/she saw you make an error.

Boilerplate advice. Most of us have very little experience with BFM against the JF-17, and even fewer people own the module. If you know something specific please share.

Is that a serious question? Go one-circle, force a slow high alpha fight if needed. Jeff is a light composite aiframe with a Mig-29 engine so it has quite decent sustained capability and if I'm not mistaken slightly better T/W than the Hornet, clean.

One circle high-alpha, JF-17 wins. At least in my experience.