New forum vs old forum

New forum vs old forum  

374 members have voted

1. 1. New forum vs old forum

• Old forum was better (desktop user mostly)
    • New forum is better (desktop user mostly)
    • Old forum was better (mobile user mostly)
    • New forum is better (mobile user mostly)
    • Old forum was better (desktop/mobile user)
    • New forum is better (desktop/mobile user)

If you get a ban warning on the forum log out and log back in, there seems to be some strange server issue. No bans have been given in a long while. Thanks and apologies for the inconvenience

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 10 Pro x64, NVIDIA MSI RTX 2080Ti VENTUS GP, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 32GB DDR @3000, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've literally been looking at this for 15 minutes and just thought: "Wow. What a mess. Why? Why? Why? Seriously, why?".   I really hate to tell, but from a professional (20 years of webdesign experi

...and we're fully in 2020s, with a layout designed for nearsighted babies who have their monitors in portrait configuration for some inexplicable reason. I hate IPS, I have to zoom it out one notch t

And, most important of all:    

Hopefully if any further changes are made the forum will look much more like it used to. I dislike this one so much it actually stops me coming here much now unfortunately.

i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs

Flight Controls:Virpil VPC MoogoosT-50 / MFG Crosswinds / GVL Throttle / Oculus Rift CV1

I almost got used to the (updated) new look! Dark mode is my favorite feature. The only thing I still hate is that to get to the last page of a thread I must scroll to the bottom of the first page (((

• Like 1

i5-4670K@4.5, 16GB DDR3, 1080ti, NVMe, W10pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, G2

Can agree here. New forums started horrible and still got things that should be worked on (like all the sub-forums being all over the place), but in general the forums matured quite well over the past weeks. Just starting to like. Pretty slow sometimes tho, did you check if it's a caching issue maybe?

• Like 1

bts_100.jpg.22eae5ddd2a463fc09375990ad043870.jpg

Hardware: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX | Ryzen 5 3600X (6*3.8 Ghz) | 16 GB RAM | MSI Radeon RX5700 | Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB | Win 10 (64-bit) TM Warthog HOTAS, MFD and rudder pedals, TrackIR5

Wishlist:  Northern Germany/Baltic Sea theater | DCS level Su-25A or SM | CH-53 variant (preferably MH-53 Pave Low)

• 2 weeks later...

I like the look so far, but Tapatalk does not work yet.  Hopefully emojis work with Tapatalk this time.  :)

My only problem with the web forum (typing this in Microsoft Edge) is that the auto-saved prompt pops up, covering your first line of text and making it impossible to see what you've typed.  I foresee a lot of blank first lines.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

...and we're fully in 2020s, with a layout designed for nearsighted babies who have their monitors in portrait configuration for some inexplicable reason. I hate IPS, I have to zoom it out one notch to make it look less like crap. If I didn't have functioning eyes, I wouldn't be flying fighter jets! Also, it doesn't support BBCode, and uses slow, crocky Javascript stuff everywhere. Why did forum design have to go to dogs like that? Make it look good on full HD screens, and worry about phones later.

The old forum was atrocious, but this is worse. I want the old old forum back. This one is a cluttered, cartoonish mess, the previous one was half-functional, and they were both hideous. At least the comment function and the stupid messenger thing are gone, but it's got those inane "reactions" instead, which are inevitably substituted by some for properly worded replies. Also, no edit button on the lower bar, and even the slightest edit immediately after posting makes the "edited by" text appear, which is useless clutter that doesn't mean anything (before, it only appeared if the edit was made after some time, which made more sense). 

Negative comments for negative experience. Just the same that I've had with other forums who moved to this IPS crap. Even in context of what we had before, the best I can say about it is calling it a lateral move, and even that's a stretch.

Edited by Dragon1-1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
I like the look so far, but Tapatalk does not work yet.  Hopefully emojis work with Tapatalk this time.  :)

My only problem with the web forum (typing this in Microsoft Edge) is that the auto-saved prompt pops up, covering your first line of text and making it impossible to see what you've typed.  I foresee a lot of blank first lines.

Tapatalk is working for me

Vincent "Virus" DThe

PC: R9 5900x/RTX2080Ti, 64GB RAM.

Joystick bases: Virpil T-50CM2 with 20cm extension (Center), TMW (sidestick)

Joystick grips: Realsimulator F18, TM F-16

Throttles: Winwing Super Taurus

Hardware: Saitek Combat Rudder, 4x Thrustmaster Cougar MFD, Logitech G13, Winwing Panels

VR: Valve Index 

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5, TrackIr v5

This new update to the forums is really nice - glad you took that step as previous update was not so great. I like this one very much!

Intel Core i7-10700K - ROG Strix Z490-H Gaming - 64GB Vengance LPX - RTX 3080 Eagle OC - non-VR - single player - open beta

This is much better! Glad you came to your senses.

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 2400 MHz (2800 OC) | Asus Strix Z270E Gaming | Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD 1 TB | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD 500 GB | WD NAS Red 2TB SATA3 | Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i v2 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Saitek PRO rudder pedals | Valve Index

Seems to be working in Tapatalk now. Here’s an emoji test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by RogueSqdn
  • Like 1

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

I have a 2K monitor and only can see no more than 4 post at a time (and are 2 lines posts). In my phone, when entering to the main forum I can only see 4 sub forums, 4!!!. before, with the html forum I could se like 20 sub forums per screen. I'm losing a line to have the "105k messages".. who is willing to lose a line in order to have this information? nobody. 

I knew that the old forum was going to change sooner or later, but I expected it to be better, more functional, not way less functional. This is unusable, my mouse wheel won't last more that two days in this style. Now I need a 4K monitor to have the same information I had before on an old 17" monitor. 

And please don't say "We understand that change can be difficult", like if we where old dinosaurs that are afraid to change. We love change, but change for better, not for worst. 

The style is nicer, but if I had to chose, I chose the old one, which was way more functional. 

Edited by mikel.132

Interl i7 6700k - 32Gb RAM DDR4 - RX 590 8GB - Sentey 32"2560x1440 - Saitek X-55 - TrackIr 3

12 minutes ago, mikel.132 said:

I have a 2K monitor and only can se no more than 4 post at a time (and are 2 lines posts). In my phone, when entering to the main forum I can only see 4 sub forums, 4!!!. before, with the html forum I could se like 20 sub forums per screen. I'm losing a line to have the "105k messages".. who is willing to lose a line in order to have this information? nobody. 

I knew that the old forum was going to change sooner or later, but I expected it to be better, more functional, not way less functional. This is unusable, my mouse wheel won't last more that two days in this style. Now I need a 4K monitor to have the same information that I had before on an old 17" monitor. 

And pleas don't say "We understand that change can be difficult", like if we where old dinosaurs that are afraid to change. We love change, but change for better, not for worst. 

The style is nicer, but if I had to chose, I chose the old one, which was way more functional. 

Of course you do realize you are talking to a group that got excited about a less functional F14 A model don’t you?  
Hey Mike, when ya adding the glove vanes to the home page???

• Like 1

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

PMs and the personal area seem to be much faster than they were with the previous forum upgrade.

Also like the skin.

So far I'm liking it!

My second biggest gripe with the old new forum was that posts from blocked users didn't show any sign of existence, and so I sometimes wondered who or what the heck people were responding to. Curious if this will be fixed with the new forum as well.

And, most important of all:

20201201_132325.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

System specs:

System specs: i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- HP Reverb v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

On a first glance I have to say that I like the new new forum much more than the old new forum! 👍

Also the communication was much better this time around with an announcement in the weekly newsletter!

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-4790K @ 4x4GHz + 16 GB DDR3 + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

8 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

On a first glance I have to say that I like the new new forum much more than the old new forum! 👍

Also the communication was much better this time around with an announcement in the weekly newsletter!

I thoroughly loathe it so far because I can't find a way to manually edit posts without using the visual editing tools. Quoting in particular is just horrendous now, especially if you want to do it in later edits of a post. The old new forums had warts, but being able to properly edit your posts wasn't one of them. Ugh.

Compared to the last upgrade this is really nice! It feels more modern and quite usable. Of course there's stuff to sort out, but that road is a lot less curvy with this version in place. 👍

Gripendivider4.png.4837ba8cb7c71a5ae2f43a81660303d6.png

| Intel Core i7-10700K @ 5.1GHz | Noctua NH-D14 | Asrock Z490 Steel Legend | Corsair 3200MHz 32GB | Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe | Crucial MX100 2x512GB SSD | Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti | Chieftec Nitro BPS-950C | Fractal Design Define R4 | W10 Pro x64 | Acer XB280HK UHD G-Sync | Varmilo VA88M | Corsair M65 | Corsair HS70 PRO | VKB Gunfighter Mk.III + MCG Pro | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 | Monstertech | DELANCLiP Fusion | Secretlab OMEGA |

23 minutes ago, Santus said:

Am I the only one who cannot find a way to edit old posts?

No, it happens to me too ... I wanted to edit posts that used the old Youtube tag, but there seems to be no way to edit them 😞

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600 - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Now I can say the forum graphics look nice now, for a while I was wondering what happened....

I don't know about performance yet.... too new

Kudos to the powers that be...

also, I have not looked at the forum options, in the last couple of days for the user... so as time goes on we shall see ..

ASUS Z170, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 32 GB, Samsung 1TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

2 hours ago, Santus said:

Am I the only one who cannot find a way to edit old posts?

I can't edit old posts either. This must be fixed.

Also, unless I miss something, the "advanced search" options are severely limited. To efficiently look for old bug reports and submit new ones, we have to be able to efficiently search the forums by date, by username, by subforum hierarchy, and or logic of keywords ... etc

There needs to be an "unlink" button as well as the "link" button. Now hyperlinked text must be erased and retyped to remove the link.

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))