New forum vs old forum

New forum vs old forum  

374 members have voted

1. 1. New forum vs old forum

• Old forum was better (desktop user mostly)
    • New forum is better (desktop user mostly)
    • Old forum was better (mobile user mostly)
    • New forum is better (mobile user mostly)
    • Old forum was better (desktop/mobile user)
    • New forum is better (desktop/mobile user)

I agree the new format is awful to read, and I am stuffed if I can find the ability to edit my signature.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've literally been looking at this for 15 minutes and just thought: "Wow. What a mess. Why? Why? Why? Seriously, why?".   I really hate to tell, but from a professional (20 years of webdesign experi

...and we're fully in 2020s, with a layout designed for nearsighted babies who have their monitors in portrait configuration for some inexplicable reason. I hate IPS, I have to zoom it out one notch t

And, most important of all:    

It’s not just the format, which is really bad, but also the host of problems like broken subscriptions, broken notifications, Tapatalk not working correctly. I get the desire to make mobile browsing better compared to the old forum, but this move strikes me as exactly the opposite of what is needed right now with that other mammoth flight sim potentially pulling away so many DCS fans recently — myself included.

Frankly if keeping up to date on the topics users care about becomes too much of a frustrating chore, it’s going to permanently drive them away. I hope that doesn’t happen, but in its current state this forum doesn’t offer much hope.

• Like 1

i7-9700K / MSI MPG Z390 Gaming PRO Carbon AC / 32GB DDR4 / RTX 2080 Ti / TrackIR5 / MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals / VKB Gunfighter MkIII base + MCG Ultimate grip / LG 48" OLED

Preferred the old style to be honest,this new format is just tediously difficult to navigate,and.....if it ain't broke why fix it ?....just my two pennies worth,if this is the way ahead I don't think I'll be visiting as often as I did,sorry DCS.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with Sahaj 15cm Extension/MFG Crosswind Pedals/Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel & Throttle Quadrants/TrackiR4/Windows 10 Home/Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy !

I agree the new format is awful to read, and I am stuffed if I can find the ability to edit my signature.

I agree, it is very hard to find everything in this new Format. I did edit my signature using tips from many of the previous posts. I managed to find and use the forums built in HELP function for the same thing so here is the official link: https://forums.eagle.ru/help?q=signature&btnSearch=&titleandtext=1&match=any#account_overview/account_signature_new

Master of None: | A-10C | P-51D | FC3 | F-86F | Ka-50 | SA342 | F-5E | UH-1H | F/A-18C | Supercarrier | F-14 | Christen Eagle II |F-16C | M-2000C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | MiG-19 | MiG-21 | I-16 | P-47D | C-101 | A-10C II | MiG-15 | L-39 | Spitfire | Mi-8MTV2 | Yak-52 | >> i5-3570k 32GB - Vega56 - X56 - TrackIR 5 <<

90.58% prefer the old forum to this garbage; 9.42% prefer this last I looked at the poll. (308 votes). I truly cannot stand it, and in keeping to how I feel, am NOT checking this place daily anymore. I'll learn about updates and so forth other ways, because they're clearly "going to make this work" and we will never see the old setup again.

Sorry, no cool signature here.

I subscribed to a lot of posts to help me learn DCS and avoid coming here and constantly asking questions until it was absolutely necessary, I had them categorised in folders to make them easier to find, now the folder option seems to have gone as well, I have to sift through 356 posts to find what I am looking for now. Granted some old posts do need to be deleted.

• Like 1

Modules NOT currently in my hanger

Yak 52/F-14 Tomcat/CE II/Mig-19/I-16/FW-A-8/JF-17/Supercarrier

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4690k

H100i CPU Cooler

16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 Hyper X Fury Red

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD

128gb Plextor M.2 storage (Boot Drive)

Windows 10 X64 Professional

Acer XB281HK G-sync monitor

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

I can't even find my subscriptions and see if anything new is posted in the specific ones that I'm interested in so I don't log in anymore. I used to check every day but now I don't bother anymore, except for this one post. Over and out!

| Strix Z490-H | i5 10600K | MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming X | 32GB 3000MHz DDR4 | 256 Gb SDD Samsung 840 Pro + 480Gb SDD Kingston + 500 Gb HDD | Acer Predator Z1 2560*1440p | TM Warthog HOTAS | 2x MFD Cougar | Buddyfox A10 UFC  | TrackIR 5 | Win10 Pro 64-Bit Swedish |

| A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-86F Sabre | F/A-18 Hornet | KA-50 Blackshark | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H Huey | FC3 | CA | WWII Assets Pack | Supercarrier |

It is encouraging to see the new FORUM User Interface Updates that keep coming.

I just noticed the Previous and Next Page Navigation buttons now have Direction Arrows at the Top Right of the page. And now, new users will see proper icons for Upload Attachments, Toggle Advanced Editor and Add Smily at the Bottom Left of the page instead of the empty rectangles. Much less wasted space too! I realize there is a lot of work to do, and the important thing is to "keep rolling the ball forward."

Thanks.

• Like 2

Master of None: | A-10C | P-51D | FC3 | F-86F | Ka-50 | SA342 | F-5E | UH-1H | F/A-18C | Supercarrier | F-14 | Christen Eagle II |F-16C | M-2000C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | MiG-19 | MiG-21 | I-16 | P-47D | C-101 | A-10C II | MiG-15 | L-39 | Spitfire | Mi-8MTV2 | Yak-52 | >> i5-3570k 32GB - Vega56 - X56 - TrackIR 5 <<

So my feelings on the new forum have not changed much and i still prefer the old visual style/coulour scheme and hope you add this back as an option. Again, i am not in the least asking for a rollback since a modernisation under the hood is a good thing.

But: i surely have noticed me not coming here as frequently as i did because the individual subforums are a blackbox now. And this "latest active" thread being displayed right next to the subforum tab was really the appetizer to go and check out stuff. Actually, it would be cool if there could be three latest threads that are being displayed for every subforum. Or maybe add a "hover-over-popup" that displays the contents of a subforum so we can see whats up before clicking.

So take your time and enhance incrementally!

• Like 2

As long as ED can fit in the popping Christmas lights, then I am doing OK.

• Like 3

HP pro Reverb.

Current settings:

Windows VR setting: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, 90Hz refresh rate.

Steam: VR SS set to 100%, motionReprojectionMode set to "motionreproduction" and Locked in at 45 Hz display,

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 2 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA.

My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed.

VR Driver system:

I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and 2080ti graphics card, 32 gigs Ram 3

[code][code][code][code]

[/code][/code][/code][/code]200 Hz. No OC at the mo.

This change was badly thought out and shoddy in its implementation to say the least.

For what is effectively your most customer facing interface you never make such a drastic change without taking extra precautions. The sensible thing to have done would have been to run forum layouts side-by-side for example, or have an alternative read-only copy in the new format for people to experience and provide valuable feedback. What you don't do is a major upgrade and redesign, then stick your head in the sand when people complain. It's a long time since I've upgraded a vBulletin site, so perhaps the previous theme wasn't compatible and they're working on it. Fair enough, but that should have been tested beforehand offline and remediated prior to implementation.

• Like 2

The new forums are awful. Please put them back to how they were. The old forums were excellent and didn't need changing. It beggars belief that a supposedly professional organisation can take such an imbecilic decision.

(imho)

System spec: Intel i7 8700K (3.7 / 4.7 GHz), Asus Prime Z370-A, Zotac GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5x Blower (1480 / 1582 MHz), 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Black (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600 3200 MHz, Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), AOC U3477PQU Monitor, Oculus Rift S, Saitek X52 Pro

I've lost the enthusiasm to navigate this tedious forum anymore......DCS are obviously not interested in it's members opinions,so I'm certainly not going to waste my time on their ridiculous forum any longer,cheerio amigos.

I would just like to say a big thank you to all my old friends that I have corresponded with over the years.

• Like 1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with Sahaj 15cm Extension/MFG Crosswind Pedals/Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel & Throttle Quadrants/TrackiR4/Windows 10 Home/Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy !

Sorry, gotta say it here. This new forum software really, really sucks. Would really like to see the forum go back to the nice, friendly style it used to be.

My Hangar: | A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | F-14B | BF-109 K4 | C-101 | F-15C | F-5E II |F-86F | F/A-18C | FW-190 D-9 | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | P-51D | SA342 | Spitfire IX | SU-25 | SU-25T | SU-27 | SU-33 | UH-1H |

My Playgrounds: | Caucasus | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy |

Cockpit: | i7-4790K | EVGA Z97 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Samsung EVO SSD | Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. System | TrackIR 5 |

The site is, although some things improved a bit, still horrible to use. Especially things like not being able to see the most recent topics in each sub-forum right from the front-page or descriptions missing like it was on the old forums.

Was looking for info on a module i didn't know which third party did it few days ago for example. But looking at the front page bare of descriptions, i really wasn't motivated to click on each developers sub forum to learn if it's been them or someone else who did that module. Yes, i've been lazy. Customers tend to be lazy. So i left again and this probably prevented me from buying that module. ED, such things break the customers journey!

Sad part here is: if this was just a forum, i'd simply bug off and don't give a damn. But this isn't. The DCS forums are quite a vital part of DCS. You HAVE to use the forums to find lots of important info about the modules, how things work, what's up with bugs right now, changes and so on. Really important, vital things. And in the current state doing so is just a massive pain. (Again, this is coming from a guy being in the web business for ~20 years. I'm not an overwhelmed guy who does not know how to navigate a website or 'needs to get used to it', i built dozens of websites myself over the years. I know my shit. And i gave some kind hints on page 1 of this thread already)

And really, like in above example, having a hard time getting access to vital things of DCS really makes me think about if i want to purchase any further modules.

• Like 1

bts_100.jpg.22eae5ddd2a463fc09375990ad043870.jpg

Hardware: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX | Ryzen 5 3600X (6*3.8 Ghz) | 32 GB RAM | MSI Radeon RX5700 | Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB | DCS dedicated @ WD Blue 500 GB SSD | Win 10 (64-bit) | TM Warthog HOTAS, MFD and rudder pedals, TrackIR5

Wishlist:  Northern Germany/Baltic Sea theater | Full Fidelity Su-25A | Asset packs (80s Iran, Lebanon 1982, Syria 2011+ factions)

Seriously... not only is this the worst forum software I've ever had the displeasure to attempt to use, the worst looking, literally impossible to read, search or sort, it also takes almost forever to load a new page here.

WHY? DCS GUYS...? WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO US? This loyal customer is very, very disappointed. :protest:

My Hangar: | A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | F-14B | BF-109 K4 | C-101 | F-15C | F-5E II |F-86F | F/A-18C | FW-190 D-9 | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | P-51D | SA342 | Spitfire IX | SU-25 | SU-25T | SU-27 | SU-33 | UH-1H |

Cockpit: | i7-4790K | EVGA Z97 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Samsung EVO SSD | Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. System | TrackIR 5 |

:bye_3:

Looks like the forum just got another facelift. This time the main page looks quite a bit better.

Thanks for mentioning that. Looks like the change has not made it to the Dark Theme Yet. I will make it a point to flip back and forth between themes and see how this new DCS Forum evolves.