New forum vs old forum

QuiGon

New forum vs old forum  

374 members have voted

1. 1. New forum vs old forum

• Old forum was better (desktop user mostly)
    • New forum is better (desktop user mostly)
    • Old forum was better (mobile user mostly)
    • New forum is better (mobile user mostly)
    • Old forum was better (desktop/mobile user)
    • New forum is better (desktop/mobile user)

Oh no, something changed, it's the end of the world!

It'll take some getting used to, that's for sure.

What I'm seeing immediately is that URLs now reflect the name of the forum and thread, which is a huge plus IMO.

There's also a redirect for old URLs, so they're not broken.

It seems messages are now automatically saved while being typed. For someone like me who tends to type long messages that people then probably don't even read, that's another big bonus, not losing my input when I accidentally navigate back or forth, or my Internet fails or something else goes wrong.

It seems the old reputation has made its way back, which can be a good thing, especially since I'm only seeing an upvote-possibility, but not one for downvoting, which was mostly bad anyway. And it seems we might now vote on posts instead of users, which has actually been a very long time request of mine.

For starters, this looks very promising.

Edit:

CTRL+b now changes the selected text to boldface. Awesome! Every other forum out there has had that feature for years, and now the ED forum has caught up. :)

Private messages are organized in threads, which is brilliant! With the screenshot contest and a few hickups with gifting via the E-Shop, there was a lot of back and forth in the past week. This is much better now.

The Preview pane loads very fast and doesn't require a full page reload. Another cool new feature.

The only thing I'm not really liking so far is the Facebook Share button under every user. I avoid Facebook and I'll likely never click that link. It's a visual distraction and if it was possible to disable it in my profile (so that I don't ever see it), I would do so right away.

Other than that, there are a lot of really good improvements with this new forum.

Edit #2:

Is it just me or did the default font size just change to a bigger font? That was fast, and looks like a welcome improvement.

Edited by Yurgon
  • Like 5

Surely this isn't the way it's supposed to look is it? I assumed it was broken. please give us the old one back.

• Like 1

i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs

Flight Controls:Virpil VPC MoogoosT-50 / MFG Crosswinds / GVL Throttle / Oculus Rift CV1

Thanks a lot for providing a positive view to this change .. most of the items you mention, I hadn't noticed on a first view ... now I only miss an easy way to check on the latest threads :thumbup:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I changed the look to "Denim" and I like it better.

Click your name/settings/account/forum style

Or at the left side bottom of each page.

sharkfin out!

Support your local AirTransportWing !

Roal Bavarian Airforce all the way

NEW RIGRYZEN 7  5800X3D~ AORUS GTX 1080Ti ~ AORUS X570S Elite AX ~64 GB Corsair Venegance DDR-4 3600 ~ BeQuiet AIO Silent loop 2 360  watercooled ~ Samsung 890 Pro M.2 (2TB) + 870 EVO (1TB) SSD ~ WIN 10 64-bit ~ AOC 31.5" Gaming 144Hz Display ~ DelanClip@TrackIR 5 ~ TM Warthog no.2 ~Saitek rudder pedals~ 2 TM MFDs on 2nd 27"display ~ Buddyfox A-10 UFC ~ CDU/AAP panel via DCSBios ~ ARC-210 (soldering WIP)

It'll take some getting used to, that's for sure.

What I'm seeing immediately is that URLs now reflect the name of the forum and thread, which is a huge plus IMO.

There's also....

Thanks for your positivity in this otherwise pretty toxic thread.

Obviously there's room for improvement in some areas, but this forum has been live for a few hours and already some react like DCS might just as well stop all together.....

I totally agree with the positive notes you mention. In addition; I mostly browse this forum on my mobile (Android) and the main forum menu has improved imo. Easier on the eye. As for the sub-forum, the font sizes seems way to large, but I'm sure ED will fine tune this along the way.

Edited by sirrah
Grammer
  • Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I don't like this new look.

Some of the implemented new features are really useful, but the new look? That's a solid no for me if it counts at all.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Damn, I'm kinda speechless (in a negative way). I just came here to check the latest posts I missed and saw this new forum which looks like an accident. Besides looking absolutely horrible it is a pain in the *** to use on a desktop PC. How the hell can I see all the posts I missed since my last visit???

Edit: I figured out how to tailor the advanced search to get the latest posts, but this is incredibly cumbersome compared to the single click it was before... :(

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

In addition; I mostly browse this forum on my mobile (Android) and the main forum menu has improved imo.

Holy cow!

I never bothered reading the forum during a commute because it was just totally unusable on my small-ish old-ish Android phone. The new version is a MASSIVE improvement for mobile! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Ugly and difficult to understand. ED, please, how come you changed something that was fine and hardly anyone complained about?

Before it was all clear with a single glance: subscribed threads, updated threads, we could jump to the first unread message ... now it's a real drama ... and we waste a lot of time. So, please, REVERSE.

• Like 1

Agree with most here....

Please roll back to the old style, It had character, not to mention was much easier on the eyes and straight forward to navigate around.

This new forum has none! Why change something that wasn't broke? I bet we don't get the busted Christmas lights on this one either!

Edited by bart
  • Like 1

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Holy cow!

I never bothered reading the forum during a commute because it was just totally unusable on my small-ish old-ish Android phone. The new version is a MASSIVE improvement for mobile! :thumbup:

This seems to be the main problem - to avoid having 2 sets of code they have now done well for mobiles at the expense of a great desktop experience. Good for when mobile, not so good when you are sat at your PC trying to troubleshoot issues for people:music_whistling:

• Like 1

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

I'm curious, what do you guys prefer, the old or the new forum?

Also: Are you mostly using the forums on a desktop or on a mobile?

• Like 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Massive waste of space on the sides [...]

Not anymore there isn't.

Just browsing the forum I'm seeing changes being implement right as we speak... errrr, write. ;)

Is it really too much to ask something like "Could you have the forum use all the space on the screen? Right now space on the sides seems a bit wasted" instead of the above quote? Picking out this one example, but I'm referring to the entire thread.

Contrary to popular belief, I would assume that the team did not implement this change to harass any of you on a personal level. Yet the responses in this thread are so vile in nature, I just keep shaking my head. What the hell is wrong with you people?

Those guys that did this change are just ordinary human beings (at least I'm working under that assumption :)).

Would you like to be insulted and be told that your work is just horrible by complete strangers who formed an opinion in all of 3 hours?

I'm seeing very little constructive criticism and a lot of complaints and demands here. Some of you should really be ashamed. Try running your own forum with thousands of active users and a growing pile of requests and demands, and then as soon as you implement them, people complain that everything was fine, no one in the entire world ever asked for anything to change, and they want the old stuff back. And of course not acknowledging any of the great and useful changes that were implemented at the same time.

Getting pretty sick of what has become of this community.

• Like 2

This seems to be the main problem - to avoid having 2 sets of code they have now done well for mobiles at the expense of a great desktop experience. Good for when mobile, not so good when you are sat at your PC trying to troubleshoot issues for people:music_whistling:

I'm assuming this was not just a facelift. It's probably an upgrade to the underlying software, which, if I had to guess, was very long overdue.

Nowadays, webdesign must be compatible with mobile. There's just no 2 ways about it. It's a requirement.

That means the old skin can't just be ported over without any hitch or hassle. Maybe someone will create a new skin that resembles the old one, but that's probably going to be a lot of work.

What I'm seeing in terms of functionality, a lot has changed under the hood. At first glance, I'm missing a few features that I was used to, but I'm also seeing many new features that I've wished for for a long time, some I didn't even know were possible, and all things considered I'm really liking what I'm seeing, using the same desktop I used yesterday.

Seeing as some of the issues mentioned in this thread have already been addressed, the team are probably reading these threads and taking the positive and good ideas and implementing them. I wouldn't be surprised if the "New Posts" function makes a great entrance quickly, because that was indeed very useful.

Anyway, I really don't see an issue troubleshooting issues for people because of the new forum. Most of the complaints in this thread have been about convenience and quality-of-life features, as far as I can tell at this point.

• Like 2

I guess the change was required, BUT, poorly communicated.

• Like 1

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

Those guys that did this change are just ordinary human beings (at least I'm working under that assumption :)).

Would you like to be insulted and be told that your work is just horrible by complete strangers who formed an opinion in all of 3 hours?

I'm seeing very little constructive criticism and a lot of complaints and demands here. Some of you should really be ashamed. Try running your own forum with thousands of active users and a growing pile of requests and demands, and then as soon as you implement them, people complain that everything was fine, no one in the entire world ever asked for anything to change, and they want the old stuff back. And of course not acknowledging any of the great and useful changes that were implemented at the same time.

Getting pretty sick of what has become of this community.

Pfft, get off your high horse. I don't remember seeing any massive or frequent threads in this comment section specifically about the forum demanding a complete revamp.

And yes, you publish something on the web, or hell, in public, you sure as hell are gonna get told it's horrible by complete strangers and get insulted. There's nothing new here about that.

• Like 2