Ability to remove AAR door

ST0RM

Much of the time in combat, the AAR door over the probe was removed from the F-14. This was to prevent it from being torn off if it became tangled with the drogue and become engine FOD.

Can we get this as an option?

Additionally, the IRIAF Tomcats were nearly always seen with it removed.

• Like 1

as in you have a big draggy open panel? I literally have never seen a tomcat like that.

Can you post any pictures?

You have seen a picture of it. The wallpaper screen for the tomcat in DCS is an F-14 with the door off

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

You have seen a picture of it. The wallpaper screen for the tomcat in DCS is an F-14 with the door off

Isn't that an F-14D, too, though? :music_whistling:

DACA book shows one, too.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

• 4 months later...

Cosmetically should be relatively easy for the talented skinners to do. I suspect there should be some slight drag added,  though doubt we can hope for that.  

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

2 hours ago, Uxi said:

Cosmetically should be relatively easy for the talented skinners to do.

A texture? The refueling probe is animated and fully modeled even in the retracted state. So it's just about removing the cover parts.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Seeing that the refueling probe itself is a pivot in the 3D modeling software, you should in theory be able to select the probe door itself, and hide it/delete it, unless the probe and the door itself are meshed together as one

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, BreaKKer said:

vf-2 bounty hunters fighter squadron fitron f-14d tomcat carrier air wing cvw-2 uss constellation cv-64 56

2003, 2x F-14B from VF-2 aboard the USS Constellation with their AAR doors removed

They’re both F-14D’s, from what I’ve read removing the doors was on a squadron to squadron basis and was more of an east coast thing to do. 

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

9 hours ago, Gunslinger22 said:

They’re both F-14D’s, from what I’ve read removing the doors was on a squadron to squadron basis and was more of an east coast thing to do. 

And yet VF-2 was a West Coast squadron...

Removing the door was common on long missions when anticipating the possibility of tanking from the KC-135, which had a much more unforgiving basket than any other tanker. The door was flimsy and could be knocked off and sucked down the right intake, which was bad news for the F-14. It was done regardless of fleet or model when the need arose.

To be completely fair, I don't really see a need for it unless that type of damage is to be simulated. Otherwise it's just a nice feature.

1920px-F-14A_VF-41_and_VF-84_Operation_E

image111.jpg

vf-31 tomcatters fighter squadron navy f-14d tomcat cvw-14 uss john c. stennis cvn-74 209

Edited by Swordsman422

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

19 minutes ago, Swordsman422 said:

And yet VF-2 was a West Coast squadron...

Removing the door was common on long missions when anticipating the possibility of tanking from the KC-135, which had a much more unforgiving basket than any other tanker. The door was flimsy and could be knocked off and sucked down the right intake, which was bad news for the F-14. It was done regardless of fleet or model when the need arose.

To be completely fair, I don't really see a need for it unless that type of damage is to be simulated. Otherwise it's just a nice feature.

1920px-F-14A_VF-41_and_VF-84_Operation_E

image111.jpg

vf-31 tomcatters fighter squadron navy f-14d tomcat cvw-14 uss john c. stennis cvn-74 209

Well VF-2 at that timeframe was an east coast squadron, as all Tomcats were at that point. So technically all the pictures you have attached are of East coast squadrons. 

I believe I heard it in an interview with Okie Nance that he states it was an East Coast thing and something about West Coast being better pilots, though that can naturally put that down as more bravado than pure fact. 

Edited by Gunslinger22

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

1 hour ago, Gunslinger22 said:

Well VF-2 at that timeframe was an east coast squadron, as all Tomcats were at that point...

Not... really. Yes, by this point all the F-14 squadrons save VF-154 were home based at Oceana NAS, which was CinCAirLant's master jet base, but as indicated by the tail code starting with N, VF-2 deployed with PacFleet airwings and is still considered a PacFleet squadron. 

Here's a VF-1 jet from 1992, before the transfer of NAS Miramar to the USMC with the probe door gone...

vf-1 wolfpack fighter squadron f-14a tomcat carrier air wing cvw-2 uss ranger cv-61 63

VF-21 during ODS. Hard to see, but here's another PacFleet jet with no probe door, tanking from the reason why the door got frequently removed.

image025.jpg

VF-211 in 1992, same deal...

vf-211 fighting checkmates fighter squadron f-14a tomcat us navy carrier air wing cvw-9 uss nimitz cvn-68 98

vf-24 fighting renegades fighter squadron navy f-14b tomcat carrier air wing cvw-9 uss nimitz cvn-68 16

Demonstrably, it was common enough across all squadrons regardless of coast during the F-14's career.

Edited by Swordsman422

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

• 4 weeks later...