F/A-18C Campaign #1 Techniques.

AH64D

The first campaign is pretty awesome yet difficult. I tried to do my due dillegnece and understand my systems. But facing 5 Migs is a challenge. I saw some youtube videos. But I still get wasted. I was successful once but then, crashed into the aircraft carrier..hahah.

But my wing men sorrt of won the mission, or destroyed the enemy. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to approach this battle. I saw some youtubes and one guy didn't even assign a waypoint kept a low alltitude, and just locked on with his missiles. Using that EW radar. Didn't even mess around with the FCS A/A computer, meaning range and azimuth.

He did use UFC to make that line (I forget what its called) in the HSI at 74 degress I think. I need to watch that again. But he struggled in the battle as well. It wasn't like TOP GUN or anything. Dude barely made it.

Should I just stay in RWS mode? Or can I use TWS. Should I just stick with the AIm 9X and try and lock on automatically? Or see if I can do BVR with an AMMRAM 120. When I try BVR, I and go right for my target, they get the missile off first and I die. I don't even get a missile warning.

Am I missing something in regard to a missile warning coming at me, it happens so fast. No time for EWS, or chaffs and flares.

I guess my basic questions is, on first approach to the East where the enemy is, should I try and use BVR at a high altitude, like 20,000 feet, or a low altitude, at adround 5000. Obviously when I get close use Short Range, AIM 9X. But thats when things get harry. Or is the mission heavily based on commanding your wing men to do most of the work for you? So you can get a kill or two but don't take them all on. And why do I get no missile lock warning.

Oh thats important point I remember, The dude on youtube never used his TDC, to slew and lock a target. So I am wondering, is doing that not really the way to do this, or is just preference? He never used it and I thought that was a key compnent in dog fighting. It seemed like he just realied on ACM modes. It is stessfult to keep locking these targets. With the 9X AIM caging I can lock these target fire the missile disengage the re-engage..its has not worked out so far. One of the MIGS eventually get me at such close ranges.

Another interesting this is, when I set up a little scenerio in the mission editor for an A/A mission it is really easy. But the campaign is hard. I tried different Migs and Mirage 2000's they either disapear off the map, or I kill them esily with no offense really. So I thought I was ready for a dog fight. But the capaign made me realize I have no idea what I am doing.

Basically what are just a few tips to keep in mind on this battle? Thanks!

Edited by AH64D

fly very high to increase you missile range and decrease theirs, fire a sparrow from far away, crank left and right to postpone entry into dogfighting range, fire another after the first hit.

at this point you have already killed two if you arent unlucky. your wingman probably killed one too.

like in all singleplayer games, dont forget to sacrifice your wingman by sending him ahead to increase your own survival. mission fails if you die, but not if your wingman does :joystick:

Using that EW radar. Didn't even mess around with the FCS A/A computer, meaning range and azimuth.

i dont know what you mean by these sentences, so i cant help with that.

Should I just stay in RWS mode? Or can I use TWS.

you cant fire sparrows in anything else but STT so it doesnt matter. the moment you fire, it switches automatically.

And why do I get no missile lock warning.

you wont get missile launch warning for infrared guided missiles, such as R-73. you also wont get missile launch warning for active radar guided missiles launched in TWS until activation, such as R-77, though im pretty sure they dont have those in the campaign.

Oh thats important point I remember, The dude on youtube never used his TDC, to slew and lock a target.

pressing undesignate in RWS with LTWS enabled allows you to cycle targets without moving TDC.

Another interesting this is, when I set up a little scenerio in the mission editor for an A/A mission it is really easy. But the campaign is hard. I tried different Migs and Mirage 2000's they either disapear off the map, or I kill them esily with no offense really. So I thought I was ready for a dog fight. But the capaign made me realize I have no idea what I am doing.

they leave because the AI needs a task. no task => RTB. simple setup is "Search then engage" enroute task and then "Orbit" task. this will make them fly in a circle until they notice you and then they engage you. or just put a crapload of waypoints for them to fly.

Edited by dorianR666

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

Ok..got it..going into battle. I watched that Chigago 7 movie on Netflix. Ugg..nobody gets it, the vietnam war was for warfare and combat expeirience. The F-4 Fighter pilots rocked balls. We need the F-4 Phantom II in DCS.

The F-4 fighter pilots saw more action then modern day pilots. Thats why the AH-64D Longbow Attack Helicopter pilots are amazing, they saw a lot of combat and rocked the enemies worlds in the middle East....they blew shit away! I would like to see the F-117 Stealth Fighter in DCS...its mystical...it was pain the in the ass for the USAF..it kept falling apart...but its sill awesome. It was like one hour of flight time in the F-117 was 180 man hours in maintenance for the F-117. It was a nightmare. Thats why they built the F-22. The aerospace engineers, gave everthing they had at stealth technology on the F-117, it was a disapointment. At the time. Now the USAF is coming out with..a super jet fighter....beyond the F-35. I don't even think the F-35 will be comminsioned.

A high fedilty F-117 cockpit at $80 bucks doing boming runs in the middle east would be pretty dope. That cockpit is bad ass. But I don't think DCS has access to Stealth fighters, like the F-22. Its still TOP SECRET information. It cannot be modeled. Unfortantaly.

The other probelm is, the F-117 and the B2 Stealth Bomber are tactical nuclear roles. Nuclear munitions cannot be modeled in the DCS engine, for "Ethical" reasons and technical reasons. Kinda sucks.

My dream in life was to be a USAF fighter pilot. So I make these long ass posts because I love this stuff so much. I could tak about Jet Fighters all day long..its my passion. I love this stuff so much.

Best video on the internet:

I watch this video and pretend I am real fighter USAF fighter pilot.

Edited by AH64D

Make sure to tell wingbro to cover you before the fight and turn all your lights out. You really gotta fence in quick you don't have time to mess around. You are flight lead so act like it, full burner, wingbro at line abreast or echelon right. Being super aggressive here before the fight will pay off. You have to hit the mig 29's from as far out as you can before you merge with the SU-24's. You're gonna haveta learn how to see their missiles come off the rail because they throw long range IR's at you so no radar warning. Once the Mig-s are dead flank the Su-24's. Get out from in front of them!!! If you stay in front of them one will for sure take a very close range shot at you. The carrier will start sending SAM's their way shortly after your first fox 1. The bombers will have to go defensive at that point. Now you can slip in behind them and pick them off with aim-9 or the bullet. The BVR game in this one is everything. That's how I do that one, it really used to kick my ass but I was terrible at BVR at first. If you merge with the Mig's something has gone terribly wrong. You gotta do some real pilot shit to get outta that .

Edited by Jonnie2Bad

Nobody likes me because I'm unsafe.

I watch this video and pretend I am real fighter USAF fighter pilot.

In that case, commit to one jet... for now. Get your Eagle, Viper or a Hog and start your ground school.

Read, go back to simgame and try... and try again. You can do it yourself or you can make this process easier by signing up with some online group.

I am commited to the F/A-18C. I Want the F-16 Viper and A-10C but I don't have any money. I was just happy to get the F/A-18C. I Will get them all eventually. But when the AH-64 Longbow Appache comes out..I will get the money for that no matter what.

I want the F-14 as well. I would like to dessign the F-4 Phantom II for Eagle Dynamics. I can submit my portfolio to them. They are fully staffed. But I really want to work for the greatest company in the world. I know how to 3D model, the cocpit would be a challenge though. I know C++, but I cannot model those ssytems, I really don't have the programming talent. I am more of a 3D modeler. But I continue to learn programming. Been doing it my whole life, but could not make anything of it. I am not much of an engineer. I study math and everything. Well, can't hurt to know thata stuff even if comes out to be nothing at all.

Funny I am actually Heavy Metal Drummer, and I am going professional. Last thing I ever expected...Rock Star? Didn't even want that it just happened. Weird.

Edited by AH64D