I really Love my F5

johnmjones1975

What this thing needs is more singleplayer content. I don't fly multi, and I think I managed to get through every single mission for it during the free trials earlier this year. A neat little bird, to be sure.

Look into DCS: Liberation 2.0. I got familiar with flying the F5 flying that campaign and the older original version. It was a lot of fun.

The other option is to take an existing mission and play with it in the editor. It's a great way to highlight the aspects you enjoy and learn the mission editor at the same time; if you can make your own missions you never run out of single player content...

I keep hearing about f5 as a good first full fidelity jet. I was also suggested it by some guys. What's so good about it for beginners over any other modules?

I am not sure I agree with the somewhat popular notion that it is a good full fidelity module for a beginner. On one hand, I can understand that its simplicity makes it a popular module overall and I can understand that said simplicity can make it seem less intimidating to new players at first glance. That being said, we are talking about a consumer flight simulation built largely for entertainment and as such, new players should be encouraged to only spend money on aircraft that truly excite them and they should be ACTIVELY encouraged to use the rather ample, easy to understand resources resources to learn whatever module they end up choosing.

I kinda think of it like this. The specific version of the F-5E that we have in DCS World is more like a DACT aircraft than anything else. It is great if that is something you very specifically want but if you are a new player that is attracted to DCS via more glamorous aircraft like the F-16, F-14, or the F/A-18, getting told by many voices (who will seem very experienced to a new player) to buy the F-5 and essentially "work your way up" to what you actually want is not unlike getting told you should buy the L-39 to work your way up to the F-16. It is unlikely that the new player who wants to get into the F-16 will ever, ever touch the L-39 again after making the jump. It turns into potentially wasted money that could have gone to what they wanted to begin with.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not saying that one should NEVER buy the F-5 module. I own it myself and enjoyed learning all its various systems, procedures, and quirks a great deal. What I am saying is that the F-5 (like the L-39) is a good module for those that specifically want that experience. If I were to go back and make all my DCS purchases again, I would still have gotten it after I got modules that interested me a lot more. It is a good second, third, or fourth module but I am not sure I would tell a new player that it should be their first just because it is less complex.

I am not sure I agree with the somewhat popular notion that it is a good full fidelity module for a beginner. On one hand, I can understand that its simplicity makes it a popular module overall and I can understand that said simplicity can make it seem less intimidating to new players at first glance. That being said, we are talking about a consumer flight simulation built largely for entertainment and as such, new players should be encouraged to only spend money on aircraft that truly excite them and they should be ACTIVELY encouraged to use the rather ample, easy to understand resources resources to learn whatever module they end up choosing.

I kinda think of it like this. The specific version of the F-5E that we have in DCS World is more like a DACT aircraft than anything else. It is great if that is something you very specifically want but if you are a new player that is attracted to DCS via more glamorous aircraft like the F-16, F-14, or the F/A-18, getting told by many voices (who will seem very experienced to a new player) to buy the F-5 and essentially "work your way up" to what you actually want is not unlike getting told you should buy the L-39 to work your way up to the F-16. It is unlikely that the new player who wants to get into the F-16 will ever, ever touch the L-39 again after making the jump. It turns into potentially wasted money that could have gone to what they wanted to begin with.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not saying that one should NEVER buy the F-5 module. I own it myself and enjoyed learning all its various systems, procedures, and quirks a great deal. What I am saying is that the F-5 (like the L-39) is a good module for those that specifically want that experience. If I were to go back and make all my DCS purchases again, I would still have gotten it after I got modules that interested me a lot more. It is a good second, third, or fourth module but I am not sure I would tell a new player that it should be their first just because it is less complex.

Thanks for the input mate. I am not quite sure at the moment as to which model I really want to go with. Be it f5 or f18 or a10c.. Currently I'm learning and flying p51, but it's completely different era of course. I do enjoy manual flying it and managing engine and weapons etc. That being said bombs and rockets are not the easiest to deploy. :) however I feel that I would really enjoy a modern jet also, so I keep my mind open

Thanks for the input mate. I am not quite sure at the moment as to which model I really want to go with. Be it f5 or f18 or a10c.. Currently I'm learning and flying p51, but it's completely different era of course. I do enjoy manual flying it and managing engine and weapons etc. That being said bombs and rockets are not the easiest to deploy. :) however I feel that I would really enjoy a modern jet also, so I keep my mind open

One way you can potentially come to a choice is to look up each aircraft and get a sense for what roles they are best suited for and what kinds of scenarios interest you the most. For some players, it is all about air to air combat so they will focus on aircraft that specifically provide that experience. For others, it is about multi-role capability so more modern aircraft like the Hornet, Viper, or the JF-17 end up being strong contenders. The more you know about the various aircraft, the more informed your choice can be and the less likely you are to get something that doesn't quite scratch the itch you were hoping it would.

To give you a quick summary of each of your choices to kinda see where I am coming from.

1.) The F-5. As I said before, the specific version we have is pretty sparse and is more at home as a dissimilar air combat trainer (think the planes they used in the real-life Top Gun to simulate enemy aircraft) than as a front-line combat aircraft. It can still shoot a couple of missiles, fire the gun, and do some bomb/rocket trucking but it has a very primitive radar, avionics, and only a fairly basic adjustable radar gunsight to help get weapons on target. Deploying weapons from it can be a lot of fun and rather interesting but when you try to fit it into a mission where you need to bomb protected targets or fight dedicated air to air focused jets, you will find that the F-5 starts to hit some pretty hard limits that can't always be overcome with a romantic notion of "it's the pilot, not the aircraft". There is a romanticism for the simplicity of planes like this but at the same time, that simplicity has a cost in terms of capability. This is why I tend to think it is a good third or fourth module since it is a lot of fun to fly and learn but if it is your only high fidelity module, it will not cover as much ground as you might like.

2.)The F/A-18C. First and foremost. The Hornet as a module is not done yet. It is pretty far along and is almost at a point where it is largely complete but it is important to know that it is early access. Beyond that, the Hornet was the first true multi-role aircraft in DCS and as such, it can cover a lot of different mission types without significant compromise to any one role. With the Hornet, you can do dedicated air to air missions or a wide variety of air to ground/surface missions with its various weapons and sensors. If you want a aircraft that you can use to sample pretty much every major mission type that DCS offers, this is a good plane to get that experience.

There are two things that really stand out about the Hornet from a "buying your first module" perspective. The first is that you get to explore carrier operations in a pretty detailed way. Properly landing on the boat is very challenging but it can be quite a lot of fun to learn if you let it be fun to learn. Likewise, its ability to mid-air refuel also offers the new player the ability to learn that skill and feel rewarded when they eventually are able to pull it off.

3.) The A-10C. Out of all the aircraft in this list, this is the one that is most specialized and really highlights how important it is to understand mission types and roles before hitting the buy button. The A-10 as a airframe has largely been focused on close air support, CSAR, and COIN. All these mission types rely on the aircraft operating in "low intensity" areas where enemy aircraft, long range radar SAM systems, and other major threats are either gone or too far away to do anything. Unlike the Hornet or other fast multi-role jets, it can't really do deep strikes into defended enemy territory without getting shot down. About as deep as you will get behind enemy lines is just behind the front line to do some BAI attacks. If you can work inside its limits and really commit to the roles it is actually supposed to be used for, you will find this to be a potent, rewarding experience. If you try to use it like a Hornet or a Viper and try to use it as a strike platform, you will have a bad time.

The A-10C module has a reputation for being "very hard to learn" and "very complex" but I am not sure I really buy that. If anything, I think a lot of that comes from players who are using incomplete and/or incorrect information sources to learn the aircraft and as a result, they understandably get confused when they don't get all the info they need to effectively learn and use the aircraft. This is a module that REALLY rewards players who can embrace learning from a manual since using the manual will probably be the (despite popular belief) smoothest, most complete way to learn. It isn't really a difficult module to understand but you do need to get over a bit of a hump at first. Once you understand how the HOTAS controls all come together, it actually gets pretty straightforward to learn.

One way you can potentially come to a choice is to look up each aircraft and get a sense for what roles they are best suited for and what kinds of scenarios interest you the most. For some players, it is all about air to air combat so they will focus on aircraft that specifically provide that experience. For others, it is about multi-role capability so more modern aircraft like the Hornet, Viper, or the JF-17 end up being strong contenders. The more you know about the various aircraft, the more informed your choice can be and the less likely you are to get something that doesn't quite scratch the itch you were hoping it would.

To give you a quick summary of each of your choices to kinda see where I am coming from.

1.) The F-5. As I said before, the specific version we have is pretty sparse and is more at home as a dissimilar air combat trainer (think the planes they used in the real-life Top Gun to simulate enemy aircraft) than as a front-line combat aircraft. It can still shoot a couple of missiles, fire the gun, and do some bomb/rocket trucking but it has a very primitive radar, avionics, and only a fairly basic adjustable radar gunsight to help get weapons on target. Deploying weapons from it can be a lot of fun and rather interesting but when you try to fit it into a mission where you need to bomb protected targets or fight dedicated air to air focused jets, you will find that the F-5 starts to hit some pretty hard limits that can't always be overcome with a romantic notion of "it's the pilot, not the aircraft". There is a romanticism for the simplicity of planes like this but at the same time, that simplicity has a cost in terms of capability. This is why I tend to think it is a good third or fourth module since it is a lot of fun to fly and learn but if it is your only high fidelity module, it will not cover as much ground as you might like.

2.)The F/A-18C. First and foremost. The Hornet as a module is not done yet. It is pretty far along and is almost at a point where it is largely complete but it is important to know that it is early access. Beyond that, the Hornet was the first true multi-role aircraft in DCS and as such, it can cover a lot of different mission types without significant compromise to any one role. With the Hornet, you can do dedicated air to air missions or a wide variety of air to ground/surface missions with its various weapons and sensors. If you want a aircraft that you can use to sample pretty much every major mission type that DCS offers, this is a good plane to get that experience.

There are two things that really stand out about the Hornet from a "buying your first module" perspective. The first is that you get to explore carrier operations in a pretty detailed way. Properly landing on the boat is very challenging but it can be quite a lot of fun to learn if you let it be fun to learn. Likewise, its ability to mid-air refuel also offers the new player the ability to learn that skill and feel rewarded when they eventually are able to pull it off.

3.) The A-10C. Out of all the aircraft in this list, this is the one that is most specialized and really highlights how important it is to understand mission types and roles before hitting the buy button. The A-10 as a airframe has largely been focused on close air support, CSAR, and COIN. All these mission types rely on the aircraft operating in "low intensity" areas where enemy aircraft, long range radar SAM systems, and other major threats are either gone or too far away to do anything. Unlike the Hornet or other fast multi-role jets, it can't really do deep strikes into defended enemy territory without getting shot down. About as deep as you will get behind enemy lines is just behind the front line to do some BAI attacks. If you can work inside its limits and really commit to the roles it is actually supposed to be used for, you will find this to be a potent, rewarding experience. If you try to use it like a Hornet or a Viper and try to use it as a strike platform, you will have a bad time.

The A-10C module has a reputation for being "very hard to learn" and "very complex" but I am not sure I really buy that. If anything, I think a lot of that comes from players who are using incomplete and/or incorrect information sources to learn the aircraft and as a result, they understandably get confused when they don't get all the info they need to effectively learn and use the aircraft. This is a module that REALLY rewards players who can embrace learning from a manual since using the manual will probably be the (despite popular belief) smoothest, most complete way to learn. It isn't really a difficult module to understand but you do need to get over a bit of a hump at first. Once you understand how the HOTAS controls all come together, it actually gets pretty straightforward to learn.

Man, that is very indepth reply, cheers for that. :) I totaly get what you're saying. Im going to fly more of p51 at the moment, especially since they're introducing new damage model soon. And after that I'm curios to try su-25t and su 27(I have it already). I guess it should give me an idea of a modern day ground attack and air to air experience. I know its not clickable, but it still a good impression of modern jets. I suppose :)

so the reason i started thread this was just because of what I said. I love flying my F5.

I started with the flaming cliffs F15C and went to the F18, spent months learning and constantly relearning systems.

Still love the F18, but the point is, every once in awhile it's fun to jump in a much simpler bird and just fly the airplane.

of course the F5 is going to be difficult playing multiplayer against Gen4 aircraft with advanced missiles and IFF.

but you can have fun in single player of PvE.

This was just one step above the F86 with some really raw heat seeking missiles, Vietnam era aircraft.

The fact that it's so RAW is what I love about it.

There's no autopilot, there's a trim switch.

Trim it out and it'll fly straight and level.

Reminds me of when my Dad showed me how to trim out his Cessna when I was a kid.

was amazed it would fly straight with no hands on yoke.

It doesn't take long to set up your missiles, rockets or bombs while you're flying anyway.

Managing fuel isn't that hard once you get a feel for it

You fly the airplane and look around instead of being buried managing systems the entire flight

enjoy the scenery, play with the weather

again this isn't anything 'against' the F18,

(it's also a $30 module vs $55 for the F18 during the current halloween sale)

it just depends what kind of mood I'm in

I've been having fun putting myself in 1v2 even 1v3 vs mig19 and 21s against AI.

at low skill level of course to offset their cheating,

but if you manage your energy state you can beat them.

Just getting a lock and firing isn't going to cut it, you have to work to get a good shot and be in a solid firing position, ideally with a target that is in a Low energy / G situation so your missiles can hit him. I've even tried going backwards from the 9P5s, and if you can get kills with the Aim 9s. The Gars are useless against fighters, but i think they were designed to be used against non maneuvering targets like bombers anyway.

yes Air to ground is more difficult to drop bombs accurately, but it can be done with practice and patience and accepting you're gonna miss and have to try again. but set up your mission with a JTAC and LGB and you can certainly just drop bombs somewhere in the vicinity and fly away.

• Like 2

I like blasting around in the F5 as well (no combat).

If you are enjoying 'just flying around' you should try the Yak. It's a fun little ship and I do a lot of free-flight 'touring' with it.

I have pretty much all the modules and the ones I gravitate to fairly regularly are the F-18, Yak, Spit, Stang, 109, F-86, F-5, and L-39. About 50-70% of my time in DCS is just free-flight in the Yak though. :) 10-20% is combat, the rest messing around populating maps and creating scenarios in the ME. I'll probably start using the helos more often once I get around to building a collective.

Life's busy enough. Some days I just can't be bothered with the additional load of virtual combat but really enjoy the flight experience that DCS provides. I have MSFS2020 but basically never ran it other than the hour or two trying it out on the day I bought it.

When I do combat it tends to be WW2 stuff - no need to re-familiarise myself with the systems because I haven't touched it in a while. I still suck at Fox[1-3] combat in the jets and haven't had the inclination to sink the time into it. It'll come. I kinda got put off by combat in the F5 when I first got it. After reading your post I want to revist and turn down the AI skill level.

if you enter the merge with altitude and speed you can defeat them doing loop after loop. nail them at bottom of turn and get the first guy quick then you've got a chance against the other 1-2.

Yeah i'm same, i like messing with the ME. i found putting JTAC unit to paint targets is just a fun way to navigate from radials off of tacan stations to find a target and kill it without having to deal with manual bombing, then deal with whatever A2A i want to deal with using Triggers to activate them.

I have gotten a couple sneaky A2A kills in multiplayer. just hang in the caucus valleys and hope somebody flies into the ambush. but more often than not everything going well when I suddenly explode. feels like the end of the Sopranos.

I keep meaning to post a fun mission i've come up with, but I end up tweaking it a little bit everynight and then playing it to test and then forget to post.

Just like A-10C , I wish the F-5E had a huge update too , and just like the Heatblur F-14 , we could have other models ,too like F-5A or F-5F with INS !

or like or with A/A refueling boom

My LOVE is F-5

• Like 1

icon modules dcs small.png

My Liveries : Download Here       IIF Project : Click here       My Discord : Isaac#5625       Iranian DCS Community Discord Channel : Click Here
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My Gear :

CPU: i5 7500 @ 3.8GHz | Mainboard: ASUS STRIX H270F Gaming | Ram: 32gig 2400 | GPU: ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 6G OC | Monitor: ASUS VG278HE 27" 144Hrz | Headtracker: Open Track + DIY Clips | HOTAS : T.16000M | Mouse & Keyboard: ROG IMPACT II & Cooler Master Devastator 3

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WISH LIST Maps : Iraq and West of IRAN  | Vietnam 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2020 at 7:56 AM, johnmjones1975 said:

so the reason i started thread this was just because of what I said. I love flying my F5.

. . .

I own all the modules listed here, then some. I primarily fly the A-10C since 2013 ish.

I just picked up the F5 for all the reasons you mentioned.

Agreed on all points.

• Like 1

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

On 10/29/2020 at 4:42 AM, nikitatattoo said:

I keep hearing about f5 as a good first full fidelity jet. I was also suggested it by some guys. What's so good about it for beginners over any other modules?

No EFIS, no FBW. Just you, the jet, and some missiles.

• Like 2

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."