NVIDIA - Hacked? Selling details? Or how else did spammers get my unique email addr?

Adam

This year I decided that when I'm forced to sign up for nonsense / unwanted new accounts - I would have a separate email account per web/form application to combat and trace spam as a bit of a curiosity exercise.

As a result, when I purchased and installed my NVIDIA card and drivers and their software required my email address (which I considered nonsense) - I gave it a unique email address solely for use for NVIDIA that isn't used for anything else.

This morning I've received spam email on that email account advertising the "all-new Microsoft Surface device" with buy links to "microsoftstoreemail.com"

There is no way that this email address was used for anything except NVIDIA, which leaves me wondering how did this spammer get my unique NVidia email address? (This email hasn't come in on any of my other email accounts, and the email address has only ever been used on the NVidia software).

I'll be curious to know if anyone else has received these spam emails recently that has NVIDIA accounts, or if anyone has any other possible scenario as to how my unique 'nvidia only' email address may have been released to them?

I admit, it's quite possible in the EULA (which I didn't read when installing the drivers) it had reserved the right to on-sell email addresses to other organisations, I don't know. Just curious to investigate a bit further.

Might be better to ask on the Nvidia forums

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Check here:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

But it's more likely that your latter statement is true. Prolly missed a tickbox somewhere to tell them not to send it to 3rd parties for advertising purposes, and it's one of them who've been compromised.

Interesting point and could be the case.

I question why the need to provide an email address to start with in order to use the software - and because of my suspicions I created for them one of this unique 'trash' accounts instead of my main subscription email.

And it was worth it - at least with this I can delete that email address (and still have my software installed) ;) and not have to worry about the spam that will continue from them without having it affect any of my other subscriptions.

I do have an e-mail address that I solely use at the broo and for job applications, nothing else. That one has the most breaches on sites I never even visited even once in my life. That exact e-mail address also was the first one I've ever gotten spam to and I had another one for a few years before that that was spam free even a few years later. Tells it all. And I'll stop writing about mankind and economy now before it might get too political, but that's the closest hint I can share rainbowdashwink.png

And nowadays people complain about "the Zucc" selling their data... facehoof.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg