Mouse cockpit in VR

mak77

+1

Please decouple mouse cursor from head movement!

Maybe for some people it isn't a problem, but for me it feels very unnatural and difficult to keep my head perfectly still when moving the mouse, I've never gotten used to it.

i7-9700K, 32GB RAM, RTX 2080 Ti, Valve Index, SFX-100 motion

++1

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

Must say i don't get the repeated calls for decoupling . I like it the way it is although i have no problem with decoupling being an Option . But i do not think it would be as simple as some would think , and i anticipate posts from users saying "can't reach switch xyz on the side console with mouse cursor" upon implementation .

In Blackshark, to cycle between datalink targets, you have to repeatedly press datalink button which is at top left corner of the cockpit. But to see what you're cycling between, you have to look at the ABRIS on lower right panel. So you have to repeatedly look up and down over and over to cycle between targets. This actually is the reason why I stopped using Datalink in Blackshark.

With this option, you just keep your mouse over the button, look down at ABRIS, and just press the mouse button.

This is just one example.

And why wouldn't you be able to reach the switch with mouse cursor with this option?

What everyone is asking for is just like in the menus. Or the comm menu. If you put your cursor on "Start" button, the cursor stays on that button regardless of where you move your head. It's not disorienting and you don't lose the cursor in the menus do you? This is how every other VR game UI works.

• Like 1

I just use the mouse to aim around the center of my view, and head movements to actually aim the pointer, it might make me look odd when punching in GPS JDAM coordinates but it works well enough for me.

The odd part though, is there is a decoupled mouse pointer in game already, but that is only working for the radio menus.

Could be something like it's difficult to map a decoupled mouse to the 3d cockpit and the menu's are 2d planes injected.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

What everyone is asking for is just like in the menus. Or the comm menu. If you put your cursor on "Start" button, the cursor stays on that button regardless of where you move your head. It's not disorienting and you don't lose the cursor in the menus do you? This is how every other VR game UI works.

Exactly, the current situation is not normal or logical. Either the cursor should move with your head or with your mouse, but never both at the same time (preferably we can toggle this with a key, I think the cursor should automatically center when switching to "head cursor mode").

i7-9700K, 32GB RAM, RTX 2080 Ti, Valve Index, SFX-100 motion

• 1 month later...

Yet another, brand new video on how a mouse should be handled in VR (DCS actually being called out in the video). I don't know if the guy who made this video is here, but mate – job well done.

To DCS developers - PLEASE, PLEASE look at this and think it over :).

• Like 2

On 11/9/2020 at 10:50 PM, Taz1004 said:

In Blackshark, to cycle between datalink targets, you have to repeatedly press datalink button which is at top left corner of the cockpit. But to see what you're cycling between, you have to look at the ABRIS on lower right panel. So you have to repeatedly look up and down over and over to cycle between targets. This actually is the reason why I stopped using Datalink in Blackshark.

With this option, you just keep your mouse over the button, look down at ABRIS, and just press the mouse button.

This is just one example.

And why wouldn't you be able to reach the switch with mouse cursor with this option?

I'll have to re-check but I think I accomplish this by binding L ALT+C to one of the buttons on the side of my mouse (typically Back when used in a browser)

If I place the cursor on something then click I can move my head and not affect the mouse pointer. Then click that mouse button again, and I regain control of the mouse.

Edit: Nah, only really works on dial/rotary type switches.

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

• 2 weeks later...

ED mouse moves on 2D plane, MSFS in 3D space. So ED cannot keep it in one place while you move your head around - they just do not know how "deep" it was. Personally, I am fine with it, because I like keeping my hands on HOTAS when flying in formation. I activate and click the mouse with Warthog mini stick and move it with my head.

Edited by impalor

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

8 hours ago, impalor said:

ED mouse moves on 2D plane, MSFS in 3D space. So ED cannot keep it in one place while you move your head around - they just do not know how "deep" it was. Personally, I am fine with it, because I like keeping my hands on HOTAS when flying in formation. I activate and click the mouse with Warthog mini stick and move it with my head.

Except on top on the radiomenus the mouse is not moving with head so it's not impossible..

http://dcsfinland.fi/

Dcs: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, MiG-21bis, M2000C, C-101, AJS-37, F-5, MF1, Bf-109K4, AH-64, UH-1, Ka-50, Mi-24, FC3, SC

System: i5-13600k@P58,58,57,57,56,56/E45 Asus TUF 3080Ti OC 12gb, 64gb DDR5 5600cl32, HP Reverb G2, Virpil WarBrD, Warthog throttle with deltasim slew, MFG Crosswind, DIY ”UFC”, 3x TM MFD’s

It's not impossible but it is difficult.  And cause other problems.  That's why they're keep avoiding it and not even answering on this popular request.

On radio menu, the pointer is attached to the 2D plane in front of the cockpit.  You can't lower that pointer to your feet for example.

Cockpit mouse pointer is attached to the camera's screenspace (I assume that's what impalor meant as 2D plane).

I was wondering how the VR hand controllers work.  They stay where they are even when you turn your head.  Then I realized when you move your head, the VR pointers shake.  Meaning the pointer want to follow the head but continuous polling of the hand controllers bring them back to where they are.

Implementing this means having to redo the camera system.  Which is actually good thing to finally have proper VR camera system which should also solve different render distance in each eye issue as well.  But it's not easy.

They can compromise and do it like the VR hand controller.  It stays where they are but shakes a little as you move your head.  This should be easier to implement.

Edited by Taz1004