Mouse cockpit in VR

mak77

I'm trying to use a mouse in VR to operate the cockpit, but unfortunately I find it quite difficult. Problem is that in addition to a mouse, the cursor is being moved by head movement too. This makes it difficult to operate any switches, butons, knobs in VR.

I found this video:

Which shows how this could be handled.

Any idea how to achieve such a behavior in DCS?

Edited by mak77
  • Like 2

I'm trying to use a mouse in VR to operate the cockpit, but unfortunately I find it quite difficult. Problem is that in addition to a mouse, the cursor is being moved by head movement too. This makes it difficult to operate any switches, butons, knobs in VR.

I found this video:

${1}

Which shows how this could be handled.

Any idea how to achieve such a behavior in DCS?

Fixing the YT link. IF you want to use the YOUTUBE, option, you don't need to put https://www... part

Also, I think it was just a proposal. Finally, have a look at the parent thread for New VR Pointing Device

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The mouse cursor needs to be decoupled from the head look. Seriously, ED, can you folks do some QOL improvements for us VR users?

NB: I use a mouse on the right and a trackball on the left. It helps...though the solution above is what's really needed.

• Like 3

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

+1

You somewhat get used to most cockpit controls but this is still extremely painful when making a lot of usage out of Datalink and ABRIS on Ka-50. You have to look at ABRIS on bottom right of the dash and press button with Datalink panel on top left of the cockpit. Keep turning head up and down is painful.

Doesn't this happen on TrackIR too?

Edited by Taz1004

+1

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

Fixing the YT link. IF you want to use the YOUTUBE, option, you don't need to put https://www... part

Also, I think it was just a proposal. Finally, have a look at the parent thread for New VR Pointing Device

Thanks for correcting the video link mate. I couldn't get it to work in my post, so I left generic URL. Anyways, back to the topic...

New VR Pointing Device looks great, but this is not a solution for everyone. Simple solution is to detach mouse movement from the head movement - as an option or default behavior. Shouldn't be too difficult to implement it.

In the same time ED could do (optional?) real toggle switches for VR Zoom and VR Spyglass. I described it here https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=288631

These are two small things that would make DCS VR experience much better :).

• Like 1

Wwhen creating or quoting a post or all you have to do is hit the youtube button up top towards the right and insert the part after "watch?v=" from the url between the command line it creates.. in this case buQ-gLVxrdI {YOUTUBE}buQ-gLVxrdI{/YOUTUBE}

Except I replaced the brackets with { to show my example, pressing the youtube button enters the correct command.

When editing your own post or using "q:reply" you can access this via the go advanced button, which lets you have all the posting controls.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Honestly, when creating or quoting a post or all you have to do is hit the youtube button up top towards the right and insert the part after the =.. in this case buQ-gLVxrd {YOUTUBE}buQ-gLVxrd{/YOUTUBE}

Except I replaced the brackets with { to show my example.

If you click "q:reply" you can access this via the go advanced button.

Well, maybe that is the theory ;). I tried that as well, as it is the case on some forums using older engines or plugins. But - as you can see also from your posts - it is not working.

Make "De-coupling" an option. I like love the coupled mouse cursor. I made a little, four button control pad I attached to my throttle. Right, Left, and scroll Forward/Back mouse buttons. Works like a charm, and I can't play VR without it.

"Quality of Life" changes should include more options for the player.

• Like 1

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

Make "De-coupling" an option. I like love the coupled mouse cursor. I made a little, four button control pad I attached to my throttle. Right, Left, and scroll Forward/Back mouse buttons. Works like a charm, and I can't play VR without it.

Sir, do you have a picture of your throttle, for ideas?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Agreed. This has been asked too many times and still had not been acknowledged. This needs to fixed.

This ^^^^

If it's one of those "sounds simple but due to structure is very complex to implement" - that's cool - at least acknowledging we've at least been heard and saying so would be appreciated -so we know that we've at least been heard and there's a reason why it hasn't been implemented as opposed to silence which gives the appearance of "we don't care, and we're not listening" when it comes to this subject.

• Like 1

I like it too. Since I started using VoiceAttack I was able to free up one button for left click. Now I just look, cursor is usually on or very close to the OSB I want.

For a while, this was my weapons control. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=280403

I supposed it could be re-added if only for the analog stick and a few buttons.

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Check this

Not exactly pretty, but it works.

Very interesting, thank you for the inspiriation sire. Unfortunately, I'm struggling to replicate.

How do you navigate the comms menus using the Up and Down arrow keys?

Also, I have tried toggling the vr mouse cursor but it is hidden when my head moves over the comms menu. Where should I look to get the mouse cursor to highlight menu options?

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

Check this

Not exactly pretty, but it works.

That´s mega brilliant. Did you consider adding a 5-pin mini joystick to move the mouse?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

And cursor movement is with the head movement only?

Yes, I disabled mouse and hand controllers in DCS Settings.

How do you navigate the comms menus using the Up and Down arrow keys?

Also, I have tried toggling the vr mouse cursor but it is hidden when my head moves over the comms menu. Where should I look to get the mouse cursor to highlight menu options?

Comms is navigated by looking at selection and left clicking.

That´s mega brilliant. Did you consider adding a 5-pin mini joystick to move the mouse?

I don't want to use the mouse in VR. I wanted a way to make interaction with cockpit as seamless as possible, and trying to manipulate a thing on a thing, was not really going to make life easier. On the WartHog you can easily turn the mini stick into a 4-way hat that will do the same thing, but I like that for TDC and such.

Thanks,

If anyone wants more info send me a PM.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an option to freeze or pause the VR headset? This is what I used with TIR. I mapped a button on my HOTAS so I could pause head movement. While it was paused, I mouse around over the switches and nobs, then quickly unpause the headset to go about my business looking around. Using the wands is not an option, and even if you have a button box, there are some things you need to do in VR.

To be clear, the pause mapping is an option in the TIR software. So it would probably have to be implemented by the VR hardware manufacturer? What a pisser.

Is there an option to freeze or pause the VR headset? This is what I used with TIR. I mapped a button on my HOTAS so I could pause head movement. While it was paused, I mouse around over the switches and nobs, then quickly unpause the headset to go about my business looking around. Using the wands is not an option, and even if you have a button box, there are some things you need to do in VR.

To be clear, the pause mapping is an option in the TIR software. So it would probably have to be implemented by the VR hardware manufacturer? What a pisser.

I'm afraid that would lead to motion sickness

I'm afraid that would lead to motion sickness

Not if you are looking down in the cockpit and licking stationary buttons and switches. A small slice of of the outside world in your periphery is not going to cause vertigo if you are using the freeze function as intended.

• Like 1

Must say i don't get the repeated calls for decoupling . I like it the way it is although i have no problem with decoupling being an Option . But i do not think it would be as simple as some would think , and i anticipate posts from users saying "can't reach switch xyz on the side console with mouse cursor" upon implementation .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I'll put my hat in this ring too... would be SUPER good if the mouse cursor did NOT move with the head in the cockpit.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I was not aware at all anymore that it does move with head as well. I have adapted to using it that way. When I observe myself consciously I register how I use head and mouse in combo to reach the controls in a most efficent way. Normally I do this subconsciously. But I dont mind an option for those who like it differently.

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS