Additional mask zone options

*Aquila*

Hi

It looks correct to me, it looks like stores mask when you dip the wing.

I am seeing the laser firing through the aircraft and I will report that however.

Dear Bignewy,

It is not correct and this video is gonna show you that it is definitely an issue.

And the laser does NOT fire through the aircraft. The IR pointer does.

We, ED's customers, are also your beta testers for free. I think we deserve to be listened to a little bit better than we are.

Question for the devs:

Is there any reason why we can't change the masking profile on the TGP? Given the level of fidelity of the sim this seems like a strange omission.

Can they share details of the active masking profile that's used in DCS? There is nothing about it in the manual and little to be found online.

"We could come back with hydraulics shot out, half the tail shot off, piece of the wing shot off, we had two engines and could come home with one... She really was a piece of machinery that you could fly into hell and back... And she was designed around that gun from day 1"

• ED Team

Dear *Aquila*

I will show the video to the team, but can not make any promises, I have been told the mask is correct by the team, but I am sure they will be happy to take another look.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

I have had a reply from the team, the mask zone is correct, it is using m4 mask zone which is more restrictive however.

We have moved this thread to wish list as it is not a bug, but we have acknowledged you would like a less restrictive mask zone.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I have had a reply from the team, the mask zone is correct, it is using m4 mask zone which is more restrictive however.

We have moved this thread to wish list as it is not a bug, but we have acknowledged you would like a less restrictive mask zone.

thank you

Could you please explain, what a 'm4 mask zone' stands for? :huh:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

How it works IRL? i suppose Ground crew upload correct masking to the pod depending on plane loadout.

could it be possible to add monitoring on load point 1 or 11 depending on where the pod is loaded and load the good masking into the POD?

Or maybe just let us set the masking when doing our loadout.

The mask zones are labeled M1, M2, M3, M4, etc.

It's possible that DSMS and TGP cooperate such that current INV data causes TGP to use the mask profile which is appropriate for that DSMS inventory. That would mean the TGP mask might react to pilot changes in DSMS inventory either in real time or whenever that is evaluated (TGP boot up?)

It's also possible that TGP mask is independent of DSMS inventory and it is up to mission planning to ensure that the selected mask and carried stores are compatible. Even more possibilities exist that TGP mask is or is not a data cartridge item.

Possibility 1: TGP mask profile is real time dynamically selected based on DSMS inventory.

Possibility 2: TGP mask profile is selected based on DSMS inventory as evaluated on a non-real time basis.

Possibility 3: TGP mask profile is a data cartridge item chosen for the flight to match expected stores carried.

Possibility 4: TGP mask profile is not a data cartridge item and has to be selected by some other means to match expected stores carried.

Possibility X: ???

i think it would already help, if we get masking profiles for the more common loadouts (nothing or aim-9 on outer station + variations), for very uncommon loadouts (clusterbombs everywhere) it could always fall back to the most restrictive profile imho (if you bring 105s and mavs on triple-racks you are probably not concerned about masking in the first place...).

with the two new laser guided munitions the single, hardcoded masking profile we have currently feels indeed a bit limiting.

• 3 years later...

I apologize for necroing this topic but is there an explanation why the laser can get blocked when CCDs are not blocked? Both laser and CCDs share the same TGP "window" and the laser points to the middle of the CCD's FoV. Whatever mask zone is used it should limit the view for both the laser and the CCDs similarly. But in my experience the limitation of the laser is much stricter than the limitation of the CCDs.

3 hours ago, kikimora said:

I apologize for necroing this topic but is there an explanation why the laser can get blocked when CCDs are not blocked? Both laser and CCDs share the same TGP "window" and the laser points to the middle of the CCD's FoV. Whatever mask zone is used it should limit the view for both the laser and the CCDs similarly. But in my experience the limitation of the laser is much stricter than the limitation of the CCDs.

I know people have talked about stores and the danger of the laser reflections, and I've not seen publicly available data on the litening pod.  OTOH, the limitation for the laser is exactly the same as the limitation of the video tracking functions, so I suspect it's just a hard-coded DCS thing.