VR Zoom (real) toggle with a button - Joystick Gremlin

mak77

Hi, I'm using Thurstmaster Target software to Toggle VR Zoom with my HOTAS, based on axis state. So if the axis is between 10-100% Target is pressing a button associated with Toggle VR Zoom option in the Controls, even if the axis is back at 0% (neutral). When the axis is in -10 - -100% range the VR Zoom key is depressed. That way I can stay in VR zoom, with no need to keep the axis (or button) physically pressed, and cancel it with another axis state (or button if I would like to). It was fairly easy to setup such a behavior using Target software.

I plan to switch to vJoy / Joystick Gremlin to be vendor independent and to avoid a situation where I would spend time building nice scripts and than could not buy anything else than Thurstmaster gear.

So I'm trying to configure the same functionality in the Joystick Gremlin. I have associated - to the same HOTAS axis - an action (macro) which is pressing the button, adding a condition to the action (joystick based, active when inside of 0.100-1.000 range). Unfortunately it is not working like I would like to.

Could anybody give me some hint how to configure wanted behavior (described above, in a first paragraph) but using Joystick Gremlin?

Side comment. Best would be there to have two separate options available in DCS Controls: one to activate VR Zoom, and another to deactivate it (same for VR Spyglass Zoom). Currently it is just one option / button, which normally needs to be pressed to have VR Zoom active and this we need some external solutions like Target or Joystick Gremlin. Even better would be to have another option, to have VR zoom connected directly to an axis. But this discussion was already held on different thread https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=183972 and maybe elsewhere.

The way I have it, the axis is changed to a virtual button, which is then assigned to the be zoom function.

Mine is a bit different in that I assigned the negative axis to vr zoom and the positive axis to spyglass zoom.

If you want it to work as a toggle then the virtual button would have to be assigned as an on/off toggle

The wording in joystick gremlin is to remap as a “chain” with 2 actions

Modules: A10C, F5, F14, F16, F18, F86, AV8B, UH1, Mi8, Ka50, FC3, Supercarrier, CA, P47, P51

Edited by ricktoberfest

The way I have it, the axis is changed to a virtual button, which is then assigned to the be zoom function.

Mine is a bit different in that I assigned the negative axis to vr zoom and the positive axis to spyglass zoom.

If you want it to work as a toggle then the virtual button would have to be assigned as an on/off toggle

The wording in joystick gremlin is to remap as a “chain” with 2 actions

Thanks mate. I will try to play with it. Actually your way is probably even more convenient.

Is Spyglass usable at all? I'm not experienced with DCS, but seems Spyglass zooms a lot! way more you could ever need in a cockpit. Or is it for spotting distance objects?

So I'm trying to implement the first step of your suggestion (see attachments), but it is simply not working. Virtual buttons #1 and #2 on vJoy device remain silent.

I reckon I do not understand how "Condition" tab works... with this config - shall I have button 1 activated when axis is between +10 - +100% and button 2 when axis in between -10 - -100% range?

What am I doing wrong?

875194130_Screenshot2020-10-10174300.thumb.png.f808ed522371b8ca577f770d050aff95.png

986635573_Screenshot2020-10-10174330.thumb.png.a412e38b7fb5bbe821323d48f31dedc7.png

OK, I got it sorted out. It works great. Thanks @ricktoberfest for your help.

So, in DCS Controls I have:

• keyboard Num* defined as "toggle VR Zoom"
  • keyboard Num/ as "toggle VR Spyglass Zoom"

Then in Joystick Gremlin I have Z-rotation axis of my TWCS Throttle mapped to two chains, with two macros each, activated by respective Virtual Button tabs (for each chain action):

• one chain for axis range +10 / +100%
  • second chain for axis for range -10 / -100%

Every activation of axis range is toggling through respective chain macros, effectively pressing and depressing Num* (or Num/) every time.

Details in the attachments. Hope it will be helpful to someone :).

1910662786_Screenshot2020-10-10183741.thumb.png.c4ccf5f1ea50ef18bf3e5b1b4813548b.png

1429419955_Screenshot2020-10-10183823.thumb.png.f596f34903cae3f6ff037b8b3f4c344c.png

1135436676_Screenshot2020-10-10183911.thumb.png.0c4e72cb60376bbecc9ab4e7beab588a.png

954598528_Screenshot2020-10-10183959.thumb.png.ba7f6fb6362c835d2dbb4cbaf47ba48a.png

Edited by mak77

That works too, but you don’t need a keyboard command, you can directly bind the virtual button. Then you don’t have to worry about multiple commands being pressed at the same time causing issues.

Another handy tool is the tempo option. You can have a long and short press do different things

Modules: A10C, F5, F14, F16, F18, F86, AV8B, UH1, Mi8, Ka50, FC3, Supercarrier, CA, P47, P51

That works too, but you don’t need a keyboard command, you can directly bind the virtual button. Then you don’t have to worry about multiple commands being pressed at the same time causing issues.

You mean the virtual button of vJoy?

Another handy tool is the tempo option. You can have a long and short press do different things

I start to like Joystick Gremlin. Just I need to understand the logic.

You mean the virtual button of vJoy?

I start to like Joystick Gremlin. Just I need to understand the logic.

Yes the virtual button. It should show up as a device in DCS. I use the virtual buttons in places where it makes sense.

For example I’ve got 2 way button on my throttle. Down short is full flaps, down and hold lowers flaps until I let go. Up short is no flaps. Up long is flaps up until I let go. Of course the module has to support it too, but it makes it really simple to bind 4 different actions to that 2 way switch.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I will check it out, thanks!

Nevertheless such a real toggle would be nice to have out-of-the-box, with no mods required. This should be really simple to implement and would help a lot of VR users to resign from solutions like vJoy / Joystick Gremlin or TARGET (currently this is the only reason I have to have it).

• 2 years later...
On 10/10/2020 at 6:20 PM, ricktoberfest said:

Yes the virtual button. It should show up as a device in DCS. I use the virtual buttons in places where it makes sense.

For example I’ve got 2 way button on my throttle. Down short is full flaps, down and hold lowers flaps until I let go. Up short is no flaps. Up long is flaps up until I let go. Of course the module has to support it too, but it makes it really simple to bind 4 different actions to that 2 way switch.

In Joystick Gremlin, is there a way to bind 2 different vJoy buttons to the sequential pressing of the same physical button? For example, the first press generates vJoy1 Button5, the second press generates vJoy1 Button 7, and so on?

Thanks.

45 minutes ago, Sabre said:

In Joystick Gremlin, is there a way to bind 2 different vJoy buttons to the sequential pressing of the same physical button? For example, the first press generates vJoy1 Button5, the second press generates vJoy1 Button 7, and so on?

Thanks.

Yes, it can be done with  Chain container facility.

• Like 1