Default view different to zoom centre view in many modules

In most modules, my default view is different to my zoom centre view, and I wondered why that is, and can it be sorted out.

The only modules I have that work OK, and the Hornet, Viper, Harrier and Mirage. All the others are an issue. The default (starting) view is always zoomed out.

See attached for the Spit as an example.

I think I posted on this before a long time ago, but didn't get any useful response.

Any ideas?

BTW, no snap views involved.

Screen_201008_125259.thumb.jpg.f1ef075bb221a37ebfd8a59a274de221.jpg

Screen_201008_125255.thumb.jpg.ba711dfe9893557af855ebc562e3e8d5.jpg

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Hi imacken

Not sure, is it all missions?

Check the mission archive for a config view folder maybe.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Thanks BN. For the affected modules, it’s all missions. As I said above, some modules are fine, but most are not.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I raised a support ticket on this and didn’t get a useful reply. I was advised to delete my Saved Games view folder, but of course, that makes no difference.

Well, in my support ticket with ED, I have just been told that they don't help with in-game issues, and that I should seek help in the forums!

What can I say?

• ED Team

Hi

Support are usually dealing with technical support so may not have all the answers for in game issues, we try to answer as many as we can here but watching every thread just is not possible.

Zoom maybe different in each aircraft as the view point can be different, depending on your screen setup and aspect ratio. You can of course change your head position with snap views to suit your own preference.

thank you

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Set your preferred FOV (zoom) and save it with the snap views save function.

In practice, disable head tracking, hit num 5 to get default head position, reposition head and change fov your liking, save with RALT + Num 0.

I use those files to set consistent default, min and max FOV:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/dcs-world-topics/mods-and-apps/dcs-mods/94674-reworked-cockpit-views-with-proper-neck/page26?t=96116

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

As for the missions, change the extension from miz to zip, open find and remove server.lua and snapviews.lua. change back extension to .miz. With MP you have to ask the server admin to do that.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Hi

Support are usually dealing with technical support so may not have all the answers for in game issues, we try to answer as many as we can here but watching every thread just is not possible.

Zoom maybe different in each aircraft as the view point can be different, depending on your screen setup and aspect ratio. You can of course change your head position with snap views to suit your own preference.

thank you

Thanks BN. However, I’m struggling with that. I can’t understand why the startup/default view would be different to the neutral zoom view in some modules.

Set your preferred FOV (zoom) and save it with the snap views save function.

In practice, disable head tracking, hit num 5 to get default head position, reposition head and change fov your liking, save with RALT + Num 0.

I use those files to set consistent default, min and max FOV:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/dcs-world-topics/mods-and-apps/dcs-mods/94674-reworked-cockpit-views-with-proper-neck/page26?t=96116

It just doesn't solve the issue. Yes, I can change the initial startup view by that method, and it is retained on restart, but it doesn't alter the fact that the center zoom view is still different - zoomed in - in some modules. Very annoying.

It just doesn't solve the issue. Yes, I can change the initial startup view by that method, and it is retained on restart, but it doesn't alter the fact that the center zoom view is still different - zoomed in - in some modules. Very annoying.

SnapViews.lua store the default FOV.

Each module has it's own definition of maximum and minimum FOV.

Just to give you examples, also including modules you've listed. "Out of the box" settings for min/default/max fov

Hornet: 20, 63, 140

Viper: 20, 63, 140

Harrier: 20, 65, 140 (it is 65 - not a typo)

Mirage: 20, 65, 140

Spitfire: 20, 80, 140

A-10C: 20, 73, 140 (also A-10CII)

F-14: 30, 85, 140

MIG-21: 30, 90, 150

Uh-1H: 20, 89.777542, 140

Which means not only the default FOV but also min and max are different thus also the center FOV.

That's why the Server.lua is used to overwrite each individual module settings, effectively setting the same max and min FOV across all modules- which gives the same center FOV.

As an example:

1. In snapviews.lua I have all modules set to default FOV = 100

2. In server.lua I have min/max FOV set to 20 and 100.

In result, my default FOV = max FOV (I can't zoom out as I don't care about wide view) and in all modules center FOV is 60 [minFOV+ (maxFOV-minFOV)/2]

Mi-8 is an exception from that rule as it allows to set max FOV in special tab (but only max FOV which is rather silly).

In reality, global values for default FOV, min and max are such a basic settings that should have been made available in the options ages ago.

And then if needed provide advanced settings allowing to change module distinctive settings.

Thank you for that. I didn't really get the whole min/max thing as I couldn't see them in snapviews.lua file.

When I looked at the modules that were working ok, i.e. Viper, Hornet, Mirage and Harrier they all seemed to have a default FOV of 63 or 65. So, I changed all modules to 63 and now the default view pretty much matches the zoom centre.

However, I can see how to match the default view to the zoom centre now, but where are the zoom centre values stored? Sometimes that view is too zoomed in for my liking.

I still don't see why all this is necessary. I mean, why are some modules correct, and others not?

• ED Team

When a zoom value is not to my liking I would use RCtrl + RShift and num pad * and / to zoom in and out, then save the position as part of your snap view.

I tend to do this in VR to get closer to the instruments

I do not remember where the values are stored off the top of my head sorry

this may help however https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/Cockpit_Views

Edited by BIGNEWY

I do not remember where the values are stored off the top of my head sorry

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\SnapViews.lua -- it's very accessible for out-of-game editing using a sensible unicode- and different-line-ending-compatible tool (i.e. not Notepad) since each position is editable down to the micrometer or minute of angle.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

• ED Team

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\SnapViews.lua -- it's very accessible for out-of-game editing using a sensible unicode- and different-line-ending-compatible tool (i.e. not Notepad) since each position is editable down to the micrometer or minute of angle.

Yes correct, maybe I miss understood, I thought he was asking for the values outside of the snap views.

Guys, I am asking about where the zoom centre views are stored. I can't see them in the snapviews.lua file. I may be missing something, of course!

Yes correct, maybe I miss understood, I thought he was asking for the values outside of the snap views.

Guys, I am asking about where the zoom centre views are stored. I can't see them in the snapviews.lua file. I may be missing something, of course!

Oh, right. Yes, the centre isn't stored anywhere -- it's simply the middle value of what's defined by the CameraViewAngleLimits for each module, and to do that you have to go through and add the modules individually to your %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\Server.lua file as described in the Cockpit Views article posted earlier. It will require a lot of back-and-forth copy-pasting between the defaults stored in each individual module install directory so it can get quite tiresome.

But note that the zoom centre is something completely different and separate from the default position. If you want the two to always match, you have to go through and set all the defaults in the snapviews file as well (or at least check there what the default is so you can ensure that the middle of the CameraViewAngleLimits setting corresponds to the same value.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Oh, right. Yes, the centre isn't stored anywhere -- it's simply the middle value of what's defined by the CameraViewAngleLimits for each module, and to do that you have to go through and add the modules individually to your %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\Server.lua file as described in the Cockpit Views article posted earlier. It will require a lot of back-and-forth copy-pasting between the defaults stored in each individual module install directory so it can get quite tiresome.

But note that the zoom centre is something completely different and separate from the default position. If you want the two to always match, you have to go through and set all the defaults in the snapviews file as well (or at least check there what the default is so you can ensure that the middle of the CameraViewAngleLimits setting corresponds to the same value.

OK, now that is interesting. Taking a first look at the Server.lua file, the default values for CameraViewAnglelimits are 20 and 107 for min and max. Now, that fits in with what I said in a post above about setting the default view to 63, as that is the halfway point between 20 and 107 and at that value, the default and zoom centre match.

So, are you saying that if I inserted values of say 10 and 100 into a particular module that the zoom centre would then be 55?

• 1 month later...

@imacken - This is an interesting post. I think I learned a lot in researching and looking at the link provided by firmek on October 24th.

Since DCS is so versatile and complicated - there are probably a few ways to solve the Default View vs Center Zoom not matching problem. 

I was able to get FOV within 0.2 degrees of my Center Zoom Slider by doing this:  (Credit goes to a post on REDDIT and a YouTube Video I can't find anymore)  - See Attached file for reference

• Setting a Curve on your Zoom View
    • Start your Module up
    • Press "NumEnter" and "Num5"   (brings up your DEFAULTs for Zoom Normal View + Center View)
    • Press "Ctrl" + "Pause Brake" two times -  to bring up you Detailed Metrics that include FPS: and Scene: FOV (Optional)
    • Adjust your Controls for Zoom View and use the AXIS TUNE Panel button.
      • Check the Slider option and set a Curvature (you can invert or not depending on your preference of zoom direction) 
      • Once you set a curve press OK and test
      • Add or remove curvature as required until your default FOV and Zoom View center match or are within 0.2

Zoom View Slider and Curvature.JPG

Edited by YSIAD_RIP
  • Like 2
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

Now that is one of the most useful posts I have seen on these forums. Works perfectly.  I've noted down the values for each module, just in case!

Thank you!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@YSIAD_RIP I have to agree. I have been trying to solve this problem for ages, gone through numerous posts and now you have fixed it. Thank you so much!  I got stuck figuring out how to open the Axis Tune panel so in case anyone else is you just have to make sure not to have foldable view selected in the control settings.

• Thanks 1

i7-13700k | nVidia 3080 Ti | 64GB RAM

VKB MCG Ultimate stick with old Sidewinder FFB2 as well |  Warthog Throttle | TrackIR

FC3 | F/A-18C | F-5e | Harrier | KA-50 | Spitfire

Still works with Foldable View, it's just not so obvious.

In foldable, select Axis commands, then right click on the one you want to modify and select 'Tune Combo Axis'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1