[NO BUG]Mavericks slave to random distant steerpoint

Burnie

I'm having a reproducable issue where my AGM-65H (possibly others too) are not slaving to the same SPI as the other sensor even with Long Fwd China.

I set mark points, switch the dial near my CDU to just show marks. I can set HUD as SOI and select the various marks.

I hit long TMS right to set SPI to last mark, and select long TMS Aft to set SPI to the mark point.

I do long fwd China to slave all sensors to SPI.

I can then cycle through the marks with the TGP tracking each one, but if I start using the master mode button, once I get back to Mavs, it selects some random far off point (possibly BULLS) as the SPI for Mavs only.

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the Mavs to return to using mark points as SPI.

I can slave other weapons/sensors back to the marks without a problem, but as soon as I select Mavs (through master mode, DMS right, or through DSMS, they revert back to the far off SPI.

Track here:https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxdr2lsiv9n8v8i/Through_The_Inferno_SYRIA_v1.1.9x-20201008-231324.trk?dl=0

i7 10700k @4.8GHz | Aurora GTX 3080 | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Pro 1Tb x 3 | Corsair 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

HP Reverb G2 | Vkb Gunfighter II MCG Pro Stick | Virpil T-50CM Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals | Custom built collective | 150 button custom cockpit with 3 x Cougar MFDs

I’ve noticed that the bottom left of the HUD changes from steer point to IFFCC when I have this issue. I can’t work out how to get it back to steerpoint.

i7 10700k @4.8GHz | Aurora GTX 3080 | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Pro 1Tb x 3 | Corsair 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

HP Reverb G2 | Vkb Gunfighter II MCG Pro Stick | Virpil T-50CM Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals | Custom built collective | 150 button custom cockpit with 3 x Cougar MFDs

I’ve noticed that the bottom left of the HUD changes from steer point to IFFCC when I have this issue. I can’t work out how to get it back to steerpoint.

TMS DOWN Long.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

TMS right long to set last mark as SPI generator and then CHF long should slave all sensors to that SPI (mark). That's absolutely a valid way to slave sensors (including Maverick) to a mark.

The part that's confusing is changing to Maverick should cause IFFCC to be SPI generator.

I tried it on my end and this is not what happened. I was able to set mark SPI, slave all sensors to SPI, then make Maverick the active weapon and the LOS remained slaved to mark the entire time. IFFCC SPI never became selected.

Can you make a track that replicates the behavior where IFFCC becomes the SPI gen?

Thanks Fredurf, there’s a track attached to the first post.

And Quigon, if you read my post you’ll see that TMS Aft Ling didn’t solve the issue.

I can't look at Syria because I don't own that terrain. Also it's a through the inferno mission which probably means it's quite long and full of extra objects. A simple 1 airplane air start mission that's <5min should be enough to demonstrate this if it's repeatable.

I can't look at Syria because I don't own that terrain. Also it's a through the inferno mission which probably means it's quite long and full of extra objects. A simple 1 airplane air start mission that's <5min should be enough to demonstrate this if it's repeatable.

Yep, no problem, I'll create a smaller track later. It seems to be when I've got the CDU selector set to Mark mode, then I'm doing something (I will try and determine exactly what) and it's screwing with the Mavs.

Even if I turn back to mission or steer, I can't get the mavs to look at the steerpoints (using long aft TMS).

I'll try and upload something in the next 12 hours as I'm at work right now.

OK, so I managed to jump on DCS and produce a track.

You'll see I can successfully create markpoints, cycle through them as SPI, but then if I have MAVs as SOI, and do TMSLA, then I get this random SPI generated, and the MAVs slew to it.

Once that appears, I can't get the mark points to cycle as SPI again. I can do TMSLR to set the SPI to the last markpoint, but it won't cycle through the mark points any more as SPI. You can see them change colour, but nothing gets them to SPI.

And If I try to do TMSLA again, it slaves back to the far off SPI.

Also, there's a point where it just seems to jump between Steerpoint and IFFCC in the HUD without me touching anything.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/83r7uywcqvww00e/mav-test.trk?dl=0

Also, why has this been marked as no bug before anyone has even looked at the track file? I find that a bit weird?

OK, I kinda see what's going on. I can't tell exactly what buttons you're pushing.

First you make marks A B C D E F. Then you set the steerpoint pool to marks and play around with slaving to STPT and (last) MARK and IFFCC.

What's important to understand is that TMS right long sets the last created mark point as SPI not any other mark point. So it's perfectly possible to have Mark A as your STPT and Mark F as your SPI. So as you cycle through Mark A, Mark B, Mark C, etc. you will see the box highlight yellow and HSI navigation update to those locations even though your SPI remains Mark F (because that's the last made mark point). That's perfectly normal and working fine as far as I can tell when I take control. Sensors are slaved to the SPI as expected.

The only screwed up thing I can find is if you set IFFCC SPI (TMS aft short). IFFCC SPI is a weird beast. If IFFCC is denied the gun cross (or CCIP bomb pipper) to aim at it aims at the X Z 0,0 point of the map (hundreds of miles away). So that's a DCS bug. But IFFCC SPI I didn't have it selected automatically. Every time I had IFFCC SPI it was because I commanded it with my fingers.

In summary:

If you set last mark SPI (MARK on HUD) that picks your last made mark point and makes it SPI. That is completely independent of your steerpoint selection so it's not necessary to switch waypoint pools.

Changing steerpoint while MARK SPI won't and shouldn't change SPI.

IFFCC SPI is being buggy when pipper not available (goes to X,Z 0,0 point on the map). IFFCC SPI is available in master mode GUNS or CCIP. IFFCC SPI is selected by TMS aft short with HUD SOI and that selection seems to be fine except possibly it shouldn't work if no pipper present (which would avoid the bug).

If there's anything specifically you think is wrong apart from IFFCC being 300nm away please be specific about the exact situation you think is wrong because apart from the IFFCC SPI bug everything looks to be in order.

Firstly, thanks so much for taking the time to look into this!

Yep, I'm good with setting up those mark point, have no issue there.

However, when you say the mark point won't be the SPI as you cycle through, I think you can see that initially that's exactly what's happening, and should happen according to the videos I've watched.

Once you've made mark points, you turn the CDU knob to "Mark", slave all to steerpoint, and you can then select HUD as SOI and use the fwd/aft DMS or the select rocker to move through the mark points, keeping them as SPI.

My issue is that once the mav's move to the IFFCC point at X, Z, 0, 0, there's nothing I can do to reset it.

It's like the SPI won't go back to the steerpoint at all - let alone the markpoints.

But I think we're probably still talking about the same thing. The route of the issue appears to be the bugged IFFCC SPI.

Now how do I bring that back to the attention of the Devs so this doesn't get lost now it's flagged as [NO BUG]?

I know it should. But it doesn’t. Hence the reason I’m reporting the bug.

And that's the difference. I am able to set SPI from IFFCC to STPT at any time. IFFCC SPI is only occurring when I press TMS aft short with HUD SOI (*or when switching to a mode which supports IFFCC SPI and it was enabled in the background) and STPT SPI is always occurring when I press TMS aft long with HUD SOI.

Here's a track with the following setup:

Active pause

Mark points A B created (so last made mark can be a SPI)

TGP, MAV, HUD all visible

Helmet showing SPI at all times (no HUD blanking)

Demonstration:

0:50 STPT SPI - Cycling of steerpoint through flight plan and mark points

1:50 IFFCC SPI - Gun and CCIP, reset to STPT by TMS aft long

2:25 TDC SPI - Slew and reset to STPT by invalid (undesignate TDC)

2:50 TGP SPI - Slew and reset to STPT by invalid (STBY TGP)

3:05 TAD SPI - Cycle objects and reset to STPT by invalid (unhook)

3:55 MAV SPI - Slew and reset to STPT by invalid (recage)

4:40 MARK SPI - Show independent of steerpoint and reset to STPT manual (TMS aft long)

5:10 HMCS SPI - Set several times and reset to STPT

5:40 Playing around with IFFCC SPI again showing the CCIP Maverick IFFCC SPI >500nm away. But it does show switching from IFFCC SPI to STPT SPT manually freely in both CCIP and GUNS modes.

*There is an odd bit of behavior where you're able to select IFFCC SPI with HUD SOI even in NAV and CCRP which won't allow that but the option is remembered so on next selection of CCIP or GUN master mode IFFCC SPI is immediately selected. So CCIP/GUN IFFCC selection is still toggled when on CCRP/NAV master mode but that status will be hidden until master mode is changed. Double oddly in air-to-air master mode it's possible to change IFFCC to STPT (for the hidden CCIP/GUN modes) but not STPT to IFFCC. This is distinct from previous behavior where IFFCC would revert to STPT in any mode where IFFCC SPI was invalid (either not possible in that mode or the solution didn't exist).

A-10II SPI Test.trk

Ok, I’ll try and create a video today showing how/where I get to the point where I can’t recover back to steerpoint mode for Mavs.