Flares and no flares question

PoorOldSpike

In the top pic I've tasked the AI Su-25T to bomb that Perry destroyer (circled) along the arrowed flight path, but as soon as he sees the AA Chaparral he chickens out and begins popping flares like crazy and banks away towards the DP and never comes back even though the Chap hasn't even fired, cluck cluck..

DCS-bbk.png

So in this next test below I assigned 'Invisible' to the Chaparral and this time the SU-25 ran straight in and clobbered the ship just fine because he couldn't see the Chap, hehe..

BUT, he never popped any flares at all throughout the entire attack and almost got this missile up his jacksie!

So my question is- Can we make an AI plane do straight-in bomb runs like that AND pop flares for self-protection while he's doing it?

DCS-bbl.png

tucker2_zps8nx415wg.jpg~original

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Have you tried instead adjusting the Su-25s Rules of Engagement? It's very finicky to get the AI to actually attack defended targets in a non-suicidal manner, but playing around with the options there can help in many cases.

Thanks I've made some headway, this AI SU-25T sometimes pops flares AND drop his bombs like he's done below even though SAMs are coming up at him thick and fast, but infuriatingly he sometimes doesn't and runs for home instead without dropping his bombs!

DCS777.jpg

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Duh..I think the penny's finally dropped as I've realised the reason the AI planes won't fly into the teeth of SAMs to drop bombs is probably because they know it's a suicide mission and they've got more sense!

But if I give them air-to-ground missiles it puts a smile on their faces as big as a wave on a slop bucket and they'll fearlessly press home their attacks as below..:)

Here's a series of breathtaking screenshots from one of todays tests-

1- I loaded him with 2x S-25L AG missiles and he flies into the heart of the enemy defences and lets fly, that's my boy, you're a soldier now..:)-

1a.png

2- He trashes the warehouse but gets hit by a SAM-

2b.png

3- He ejects (top left) as more SAMs and AAA get in on the act-

3b.png

4- and his plane hits the sea-

4b.png

NOOB TIP- There's another AG missile on the Russian inventory that's better than the S-25L, namely the KH-29T because it's TV guided and is fire-and-forget and has a bigger warhead and slightly greater range.

So the pilot fires the KH-29T, forgets it and u-turns to hightail it out of the SAM zone.

But the S-25L is laser-guided, so after launching the missiles the pilot has to keep flying towards the target to keep laser-illuminating it right up to the missile impact, than hightails it if he's still alive..:)

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Please refer to the images 1 to 6.

Select the aircraft, (1) on waypoint 0 click the lower add button for advanced waypoint actions. This will open a new window (2) -- click the upper drop-down menu and select Set option (3) and subsequently select Reaction to threat. The default behaviour is (4) Allow abort mission. Click on e.g. (5) Passive defence (or something you find suitable), this will set this reaction type.

It doesn't have to be waypoint 0, but make sure it is a waypoint that's ahead of the attack. With this setup the aircraft will usually fight until death.

If the aircraft task is CAS, you can set a "Search then engage in Zone" (6) in a similar fashion via adding an advanced waypoint action. The zone can be moved around, resized, and specific groups to attack selected -- try it out.

1.thumb.jpg.e08de0a5984920acc2fb05f75bc57c3d.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.20de840b3622b5daa74c4aa1da1792d5.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.b7ebd896b1e4b2480fc15f29f805ffd0.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.0a72c96d89e64c988c4b930fd3f2dc3e.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.bc34f2c9703b2a7c191a2187585abc2a.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.7cc0968bf1aef67b672b081de792e33c.jpg

• Thanks 1

Please refer to the images 1 to 6. .

Thanks mate they were the magic buttons I was looking for..:)

My AI Su-25T pilot sends his special thanks to you, here he is in action at the tip of the arrow on the Golan Heights popping flares (blue circles) and dropping bombs (red circle) while braving the feeding frenzy of Chaparral SAMS that are coming up at him..:)-

DCS-bombrun.png