[CORRECT AS IS] Laser deactivate after being on too long

Orsi

Laser burnout seems realistic to me, that not seems realistic is that you can't cool your laser, by doing something like shutting down the POD for few minutes, or something like that

You can do that, though - I never, ever burned out the Laser, no matter how long the mission was that I was flying, and 100% those missions had more than 20 min lasing cumulative

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

You can do that, though - I never, ever burned out the Laser, no matter how long the mission was that I was flying, and 100% those missions had more than 20 min lasing cumulative

Which aircraft, what was your mission (FAC ?), which weapon(s) were you lasing for ?

I didn't really suffer from this until using the Ka-50 were it's laser generally burns out half way through my 3rd reload.

12 x 3 = 36 Vikhr, so if the laser burns out at number 28, I've lased ~40 sec per launch (20x60/28 = 43 sec).

Time of flight for the Vikhr at max range is ~20 sec., so with careful management I can improve on that but the question is - should I have to ?

It really cripples working as a FAC and it's not repairable, you **must** switch to a new player slot.

I can't say if arbitrary damage to the Ka-50's laser after 20 min cumulative operation is correct but it 'feels' wrong to give different generations of lasers/targeting pods the same limitation/damage unless there's supporting evidence i.e. the POH and Tactical manuals include coolant time limits for maverick and IR missiles but nothing about a lifetime limit on the TGP laser.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Except there's at least one person in this thread that just tested this and found that isn't the case. Cool down did not help laser longevity.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

The problem simply is that it doesn't "regenerate" by cooling down. If you fly all day long with the same airframe and rearm at times, you'll definately run into this limit and have to replace the pod or the plane (/repair if it received actual combat damage, otherwise the ground crew simply won't do it). Exactly the same as with the Ka-50 which's laser dies exactly after 30 Vikhr shots, even if you let it rest for 5 minutes everytime in between shots and an owa, owa an'a haaf in between the sorties while flying home, reload, fly back to target area. This has been tested by so many people extensively back then. It's just weird.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/6/2020 at 11:55 PM, NeMoGas said:

It appears that the total time the laser can be on is cumulative and cooling down has little effect, actually seeing slightly less combined time than the continuous laser on test.

Is this still valid? Meaning - laser cooldown is not simulated at all in A-10C and cumulative lasing time cannot exceed 20 minutes regardless of lasing pauses?

Edited by Jascha
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...