New lights

hein22

You can clearly see them like IRL now. I was wondering if this was a bug or an intended feature. Can we expect it to stay? Thanks.

That's clearly not how it is IRL. Should be less noticable, especially from a distance. They will have to adress this eventually, since the lights merge at a distance (making the hornet a huge dot of light), and the wing lights go through the wings.

That's clearly not how it is IRL. Should be less noticable, especially from a distance. They will have to adress this eventually, since the lights merge at a distance (making the hornet a huge dot of light), and the wing lights go through the wings.

+1

.- PER ASPERA AD ASTRA -.

Hornet = flying xmas tree

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

Well, for me IMO the current implementation reflects better the reality (yes I am). Why? Because although right now it looks exaggerated it is closer to reality than before where you could not see a light if it was more than a couple meters away. Hope they keep it this way :)

Stay safe

Well, for me IMO the current implementation reflects better the reality (yes I am). Why? Because although right now it looks exaggerated it is closer to reality than before where you could not see a light if it was more than a couple meters away. Hope they keep it this way :)

The solution is to keep nav lights etc as point-like light sources at a distance. Right now, even when sitting in the cockpit, you an see the nav light fake halo effect bleed through the fuselage, the wings etc. And the Hornet looks like a blob at a distance.

Light bloom and halo effects are something that appears if you are looking at the light source directly, against a larger dark background, due to the eye's or camera lens' inability to handle the entire range in front of it. These are not optical phenomena and are not actually there. The effect right now looks really bad and the problem stems from the fact that the light sources don't properly act like light sources should. That's an issue with the F-18 though. Other modules do a much better job, such as the F-14.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

The solution is to keep nav lights etc as point-like light sources at a distance. Right now, even when sitting in the cockpit, you an see the nav light fake halo effect bleed through the fuselage, the wings etc. And the Hornet looks like a blob at a distance.

Light bloom and halo effects are something that appears if you are looking at the light source directly, against a larger dark background, due to the eye's or camera lens' inability to handle the entire range in front of it. These are not optical phenomena and are not actually there. The effect right now looks really bad and the problem stems from the fact that the light sources don't properly act like light sources should. That's an issue with the F-18 though. Other modules do a much better job, such as the F-14.

I agree, I'm not saying it doesn't need adjustments, but it serves a better purpose than before (having the lights on).

Stay safe

The S3 tanker lights didn't change much though. The nav lights look the same as Hornet's from the distance but within 5 or 4 nm they disappear completely. Not until .2 nm from the tanker the position lights become visible... barely. In close formation the lights look great.

As one user previously said: "I noticed the strobe light doesn't change from dim to bright." that is totally right, and not only that, the intensity regulator knob on external lights seems not to have effect at all, meaning they seem to be off, or full powered.

.- PER ASPERA AD ASTRA -.

I agree, I'm not saying it doesn't need adjustments, but it serves a better purpose than before (having the lights on).

That, it does. You certainly cannot miss the Hornet in the night sky anymore, even from far away. I would just like to see them implement something that actually works like a light source would.

I'm more concerned with how it looks from up close. I purposefully avoid looking at my wings at night, because of it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4422759&postcount=1

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4440776&postcount=7

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4440805&postcount=8

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

That, it does. You certainly cannot miss the Hornet in the night sky anymore, even from far away. I would just like to see them implement something that actually works like a light source would.

I'm more concerned with how it looks from up close. I purposefully avoid looking at my wings at night, because of it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4422759&postcount=1

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4440776&postcount=7

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4440805&postcount=8

Also agree. For at least I am more comfortable with this way than the one it used to be. IMHO.

Stay safe

Personally, I dislike the fake halo orb effect that lights seem to have now.

The Hornet's brightness knobs do work, just they don't affect the glowing halo around the lights.

The problem isn't that the lights aren't bright enough, it's the fact that the lighting engine has difficulty drawing them at a distance.

As for the Hornet, the orb effect just makes it look like a meteor, it looks like an exceptionally bright version of our illumination flares...

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.