Real quick help me read JTAC callouts

Hi folks,

Another issue I am having is finding where the translation is for the JTAC callouts (ie. ROCK 24 @25 or whatever they say).

On Mission 4 I dunno how to find the ships or patrol my sector. I can't find where this info is but I would probably need it explained in complete idiot foolproof form anyway.

Thanks all, you helped me get through mission 3! I need a little more training wheel time

Fang

With the rock waypoint selected, set course 008 for 40 miles. You can see what I did in my video are 12:40 they told me to freelance mothers 050 to 080, 80 miles. So I set a course line from mother I think I set it right in the middle at 065 and followed that line and searched for ships to fly over.

If they tell you rock 008 for 40. You will see a course line from rock 008 and head 40 miles out from there. I can make a quick video to show you if that will make it easier.

With the rock waypoint selected, set course 008 for 40 miles. You can see what I did in my video are 12:40 they told me to freelance mothers 050 to 080, 80 miles. So I set a course line from mother I think I set it right in the middle at 065 and followed that line and searched for ships to fly over.

If they tell you rock 008 for 40. You will see a course line from rock 008 and head 40 miles out from there. I can make a quick video to show you if that will make it easier.

Hello Mr. Booty,

lol Thx yeah, I'm still a little dense on this, so which waypoint is rock? If you want you can make a video, also you could include how to create a waypoint for tpod destruction if you wanted. I know GR has a vid out there but the time I have is so little to figure all this out.

Thanks

Fang

Hey Fang,

ROCK is basically a bullseye waypoint which is specific location same across all aircraft in the mission and used to quickly give location of something instead of using coordinates.

You can find which waypoint is assigned ROCK in Raven one campaign via kneeboard or checking the briefing documents located in [DCS Folder]/Mods/campaigns/FA-18C Raven One/Docs folder. I always had the relevant briefing open when doing missions to quickly check stuff.

At start of the mission you designate ROCK as the bullseye point by; opening HSI page, clicking DATA, navigating to ROCK waypoint (which is WP6 in mission 4) via up and down arrows on right, and pressing A/A WP at left.

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-10-06-22-08-17-68-2.png

This will give you couple of useful options.

First one is in Situational Awareness (SA) page.

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-10-06-22-09-51-50-2-LI.jpg

Top left is showing yellow cursor's bearing and distance from ROCK. You can slew it to match the call from radio, it should at least point you to right direction.

Second one is radar page.

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-10-06-22-16-58-56-2-LI.jpg

Again shows the yellow cursor's bearing and range in top left, and also your aircraft's bearing and range at bottom middle. This is particularly useful when doing A/A combat since AWACS will give you ROCK bearing for bandits, you can slew cursor to a radar contact and confirm if the AWACS match with that aircraft you are seeing on radar.

What glutius maximus suggesting is designate WYPT 6 in HSI and use the CRS dial for bearing 008, makes life very easy to find the target.

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-10-06-22-37-29-16-2-LI.jpg

Edited by ksarkaya

My suggestion is to print the mission documentation (use the kneeboard if you don't have a printer) for each mission. On there flight plan table there are codewords for each WP. ROCK is the constant codeword for Bullseye (AA W/P)

In later missions the mission briefing documentation will be useful for Freq codewords too!

Hello Mr. Booty,

lol Thx yeah, I'm still a little dense on this, so which waypoint is rock? If you want you can make a video, also you could include how to create a waypoint for tpod destruction if you wanted. I know GR has a vid out there but the time I have is so little to figure all this out.

Thanks

Fang

Looks like ksarkaya covered it all. If you still need me to make a video I will.

My suggestion is to print the mission documentation (use the kneeboard if you don't have a printer) for each mission. On there flight plan table there are codewords for each WP. ROCK is the constant codeword for Bullseye (AA W/P)

In later missions the mission briefing documentation will be useful for Freq codewords too!

In VR but thank you!

Looks like ksarkaya covered it all. If you still need me to make a video I will.

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-10-06-22-37-29-16-2-LI.jpg

Thank you all very well thought out and detailed! I think some of this is stored in my brain somewhere from past Grim Reaper vids. This should all piece together. Even before getting in the sim this is making sense here!

ALso, I think "Rock" maybe preloaded in the mission already...

Thanks all

Fang

You're welcome :thumbup:

Yes ROCK is programmed into aircraft in every mission it's just another waypoint named ROCK but you still need to assign it with A/A WP.

You don't really need to check briefing documents for it but I suggest you do, if you can print even better as noisy_lightning suggested since there are some code words for types of units and info of all the radio channels you might need as well as TACAN information.

EDIT: Oh just realized you are playing in VR in that case kneeboard should work, you can assign a button in your HOTAS to open it and flip pages.

Edited by ksarkaya