Air data sensor boom angle indicator surfaces reacting to wind, rockets, cannon

Whirley

It would be nice if the angle indicator sensor surfaces on the pitot tube would react to wind and rotor downwash, aswell as rocket and cannon fire (shake from turbulence I think).

Some effects of rocket fire can be seen at

Effects of cannon fire

I think we already had some nice effects for wind on aircraft, like the Su-25. I can't remember if any helicopter has it.

The rocket and cannon effects would probably be new.

Maybe just faking it with some animation would look good enough. Something like the wake turbulence system might be overkill.

Edited by Whirley
Fixed calling it pitot tube
  • Like 1

Faking with animations? Ka-50 has already one that's fully functional and it does everything what you describe.

althought i do admit i don't remember if the pitot tube reacts on the cannon and rocket fire. Would be a nice addition if it would.

Edited by SmukY

Helicopters don't fly, they just subdue the air.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

It’s actually not a pitot tube at all. The pitot tube are small and on the side of the operator cockpit.

the long tube is only I be order to carry the vanes that tell the aiming and bombing conputer what your angle of attack and side slip is. Without it you’re aiming computer just use less data to use and is less accurate. There are pictures of Hinds used for training that have it uninstalled and an a fairing instead 

you will find no hole in front of it

Edited by AeriaGloria
  • Like 2

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

21 hours ago, AeriaGloria said:

It’s actually not a pitot tube at all. The pitot tube are small and on the side of the operator cockpit

Yes, totally my fault, thanks for clearing it up. 🙂

10 hours ago, SmukY said:

Yes, air data sensor boom is more accurate name for this ......... pitot tube thingy. 😄

Indeed. Thanks. I renamed the topic to this more appropriate name.

• Like 1

• Whirley changed the title to Air data sensor boom angle indicator surfaces reacting to wind, rockets, cannon