A-10C II Bindings

I love this upgrade! BUT - I have a bunch of peripherals: X-56 HOTAS, Logitech pedals, 2 Cougar MDFs, CH Throttle Quad, and a Razer Orb Weaver. Opening the Controls section, damn near everything is populated with nonsense settings, i.e. axis settings on the Orb Weaver.

So I thought I'd just go to the "All" setting, and clear out everything on each peripheral, using the "Clear Category" choice. It looked like everything was cleared, until I went to the Axis choice, and there were more bindings there, even though I had cleared the "All" column. I ended up having to go down every peripheral column and individually clear everything. And it still didn't clear everything. Is there any way to completely clear all settings for everything?

Then I tried saving the profile for each controller - every "Save" command tried to save to random folders. And some wouldn't even save. And then, when I went back, a lot of the settings had been removed or changed. It was a total cluster-****, and I ended up resetting everything manually and not saving anything.

SO - I know (or thought I knew) that whatever I programmed for the A-10C II should remain if I close and then re-open the program. But may I ask a stupid question? Can there be some way, going forward, to save an entire profile (all peripherals) with ONE command? Instead of saving each device individually, why not just click on "Save Complete Profile", which would save every setting for the selected aircraft? If that IS now available, I am unaware of it.

Sorry for all the confusion, but that's part of growing old for me! :joystick:

Edited by gpbarth

-= Gary =-

a.k.a. Florida - Current DCS Beta, A-10C II Warthog, F/A-18C Hornet, F-16, F-14B Tomcat, P-51D, Spitfire, Track IR, Logitech X-56 HOTAS, Logitech rudder pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Throttle Quadrant, Razer Orb Weaver, X-Box controller

:pilotfly:

Not sure what you mean. Axis mappings can also be cleared with two clicks. Clear category.

And saving is done by the "OK" button. The "save" might be a little confusing, as I only have ever used for backup/export.

I guess, well, actually agree that things can be streamlined, I love the way DCS does it, as it light years ahead of any other flightsim/spacesim I have installed. It's a little overwhelming and intimidating at first. But once you get the hang of it is very easy and intuitive. Wonder what a button/keypress do? Click it. Want to have several peripherals mapped to the same command/axis? Do it. Want have everything listed at the same time for all peripherals? It's there already.

Only thing I would like to see, is a way to resize the windows. But that goes for all the windows in the UI.

Cheers!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I just back up the folder Input which has all devices for all aircraft.

It is under Saved Games\DCS (or DCS.openbeta) \Config

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

PS: I just had a look to be sure. It doesn't say "Save" anywhere. It says "Save profile as", which in Windows terms means "Save profile as something else". What the UI lacks, to avoid confusion, is to change the "OK" button to be "Save and close", and an "Apply" button that toggles from greyed out, to another color of one has changed anything. My opinion anyway.

Cheers

I know the AXIS settings can be cleared easily, but if I choose ALL and clear it, why wouldn't that clear EVERY setting for that category? And why does DCS automatically fill in the settings for peripherals? Example: I go to the AXIS settings, and almost every controller has filled-in settings for the axes. I mean, even guessing, no controller with buttons is going to have axis settings. My Orb Weaver is set up with pitch and roll keys that don't exist.

Come on, DCS! Just give us an empty Controls list, except maybe for the Warthog or other HOTAS controllers. It's a bitch having to go through every setting and remove the superfluous settings.

-= Gary =-

a.k.a. Florida - Current DCS Beta, A-10C II Warthog, F/A-18C Hornet, F-16, F-14B Tomcat, P-51D, Spitfire, Track IR, Logitech X-56 HOTAS, Logitech rudder pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Throttle Quadrant, Razer Orb Weaver, X-Box controller

I know the AXIS settings can be cleared easily, but if I choose ALL and clear it, why wouldn't that clear EVERY setting for that category? And why does DCS automatically fill in the settings for peripherals? Example: I go to the AXIS settings, and almost every controller has filled-in settings for the axes. I mean, even guessing, no controller with buttons is going to have axis settings. My Orb Weaver is set up with pitch and roll keys that don't exist.

Come on, DCS! Just give us an empty Controls list, except maybe for the Warthog or other HOTAS controllers. It's a bitch having to go through every setting and remove the superfluous settings.

Hehe! I agree to some degree. Don't really understand those axis on my Cougar MFDS.

As to clear all. I'm pretty sure they've done it, so you can clear all AXIS commands, without affecting key/buttons assignment. I love that. I cleared "all" axis commands quickly on my MFDS, but I don't want to remap the buttons, because they are perfect by default. Four clicks in axis assignments, vs around 60 to remap all bottons? No brainer for me. Think you need to look at it as different contexts. One for keys, one for axis. Pretty much every sim does it this way anyway. Though way more stupid than DCS, IMHO. Try that newcomer though. Maps everything too. Should have copied some ideas from DCS if you ask me.

I don't really understand what you mean by clearing every setting. It's two clicks for keys, one click to change to axis, and two more per column/device.

And if you'd like a "total clear" it would clear keyboard too. If you click on top of the device and choose clear all, it will clear everything in that column. If it doesn't. I would do a repair if I were you, because then something's wrong with your system.

Anyway, I think most users like to automapping to some degree. But axis, they shouldn't be mapped due to conflicts. 100 percent with you there. Keys and byttons? No, give me. If you're going to change them anyway, it doesn't matter.

Cheers!

I too have many peripherals. It would be nice to save everything for one air frame to one file.
Why? For backup or export purposes? With a couple of clicks or drag and drop, you can backup everything in one go. It's even easier to transfer settings to another computer this way.

Cheers!

All the above.

I have 9 controllers, and all DCS modules.

9x#of DCS modules = file count. It would be more convenient to have # of controller files equal # of DCS modules.

Ah, in that retrospect, I agree. They should change the "Save as profile" to "Export profile", and also have an "Export all/Import all" function. But like I said. This can sort of be done with simple file copy today. With a little tinkering though. At least for backup. It's extremely simple. Just copy your input folder. I even share my input folder between stable and OB, so a change in OB is reflected in stable. So I always know my profiles are equal.

Cheers!

1) It is very nice that DCS applies default bindings, that is based to default binding order (Btn 1 = trigger 1, Btn 2 = Release weapons etc) and similar thing is with the axis.

This is just so that you can get quickly something to be tested.

2) To clear the device, it is easiest to go first for AXIS and hit "Clear Category" and then for any other button binding and hit again "Clear Category" and you have then everything empty.

3) If someone wants to backup the configs, it is easy as one needs to just to backup one single directory. It is easy to as well have multiple various configs, rename them if wanted and so on.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

1) It is very nice that DCS applies default bindings, that is based to default binding order (Btn 1 = trigger 1, Btn 2 = Release weapons etc) and similar thing is with the axis.

This is just so that you can get quickly something to be tested.

2) To clear the device, it is easiest to go first for AXIS and hit "Clear Category" and then for any other button binding and hit again "Clear Category" and you have then everything empty.

3) If someone wants to backup the configs, it is easy as one needs to just to backup one single directory. It is easy to as well have multiple various configs, rename them if wanted and so on.

Did you actually read the above posts at all?

Cheers!

Don't need a total clear - still want the keyboard, mouse and TrackIR. But I think that, aside from the "standard" axes on the stick and throttles(and maybe rudder pedals), any other peripherals should start wit an empty slate, i.e. no default entries at all. Well, (again) except for the MFDs, because the buttons are correctly set going in.

And I will do a repair, because when I clear a category, it re-populates to some degree.

MY biggest wish is that when I have an aircraft all set, all I should have to do is "Save Profile," and it saves every peripheral for that plane. I hate saving each peripheral individually, and they never go where I though they did. AS it is, I just don't bother saving at all, and hope I don't lose anything.

BTW, MSFS2020 has a unique way of clearing a peripheral - you just make a new one from scratch, and it's empty to start with.

-= Gary =-

Don't need a total clear - still want the keyboard, mouse and TrackIR. But I think that, aside from the "standard" axes on the stick and throttles(and maybe rudder pedals), any other peripherals should start wit an empty slate, i.e. no default entries at all. Well, (again) except for the MFDs, because the buttons are correctly set going in.

And I will do a repair, because when I clear a category, it re-populates to some degree.

MY biggest wish is that when I have an aircraft all set, all I should have to do is "Save Profile," and it saves every peripheral for that plane. I hate saving each peripheral individually, and they never go where I though they did. AS it is, I just don't bother saving at all, and hope I don't lose anything.

BTW, MSFS2020 has a unique way of clearing a peripheral - you just make a new one from scratch, and it's empty to start with.

Well. We all are different. I get you want unpopulated axis, as they conflict. And I don't mind having populated buttons, because changing one is exactly like defining/adding one.

What I really don't understand why you go on about "saving profile" as there is no need, unless you want it for backup or export. "OK", is actually the "Save all and close" button. At least on my system.

Take care, hope you sort it out!

Personally I find the DCS controls method the best out there, it would be nice not to have things like MFDs populate axis etc. but it only takes a couple of clicks to clear them. I haven't found another sim other than iRacing that can cope with all the controls I have, forcing me to unplug stuff not to go over some arbitrary limit set. That is far more frustrating IMHO.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Like most people, I hate these default bindings across all controllers. So when I get a new module, my first action is to open the "default.lua" and remove stuff like "combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN_POV1_L'}}" which causes the default bindings across all columns. This means of course that I have to make sure there is a backup for my modified file. But since I add bindings to the "default.lua" for every module I own, I'm using OcGME to manage this without pain. And of course, I have to manually enter all bindings, including the few where the defaults make sense.

And I agree that the control bindings in DCS world are far superior to those in other flight sims, which do not have aircraft-specific sets of bindings.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5