FA-18 trim

ollk22

Folks I have noticed a couple of things...

When I start out in the FA/18 the trim is set to a course setting so it is quick to set the desired setting.

But after takeoff, you no longer seem to be able to access the course adjustment and only get fine, which is great, but if I land for resupplies I might want to quickly set it again...

Is there a certain config that allows me to select this?

That is intentional. "Fast" trim only with weight on wheels and T/O trim selected. You only need that for takeoffs, anyway.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

The Hornet , like many other fbw aircraft , has two trim modes . Gear up , the fbw system tries to automatically hold 1g , and pilot trim inputs adjust to either side of 1 g . The reason this mode is "slow" is because trimming g results in pitch continuing to change even after releasing the trim button . The "faster" mode is a normal pitch trim used primarily to set the landing aoa , and takeoff trim .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

... The "faster" mode is a normal pitch trim used primarily to set the landing aoa...

To trim to 'on-speed' feels a bit weird (for the last few months). Say you're in the break, slowing to gear/flaps speed, trying to get an 'early' start on the AOA trim. You keep holding the trim switch for few seconds hoping to see some results when you slow down enough, but then... it seems like there's a lot more trimming required, almost as if the previous trimming attempt had no effect, while fighting the 'balloon', watching 180/@600ft. (if I'm the lead I usually break past the bow so there's not much time before I have to start inbound turn... with 30 kt WOD).

If we had 'on-speed' setting read-out that we could see while trimming... it's on the right side of the HUD at the bottom. I'm not sure if Block20 had it though. I would imagine they got few software updates here and there:)

That's why I go a mile or so past the boat before breaking. It's gives me a little more time to get on-speed. I'm not good at getting on-speed fast.

You arent really meant to break between 0-1NM after the boat anyway, for exactly what you described.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

I've noticed the problem of the trim staying really slow when gear and flaps down in the pattern. I thought it was a problem with my HOTAS at first but now I'm pretty sure its in the sim. It used to trim up really fast to on speed, now it takes forever for the stab to move.

I've noticed the problem of the trim staying really slow when gear and flaps down in the pattern. I thought it was a problem with my HOTAS at first but now I'm pretty sure its in the sim. It used to trim up really fast to on speed, now it takes forever for the stab to move.

Just triple check the flaps arent in AUTO

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

IF you are trying to fly realistically, time in the groove should not exceed about 20 sec.

He's talking about upwind.

If I'm flying single ship, I usually go past the boat to .6 or .7 nm before break, this way I don't have to cuss that much. I don't see a reason for doing this any other way even with the 4ship.

4 ship can easily fit within 4 nm limit.

Basically, I like to challenge myself, be it the early break or SHB... of course:music_whistling:

He's talking about upwind.

If I'm flying single ship, I usually go past the boat to .6 or .7 nm before break, this way I don't have to cuss that much. I don't see a reason for doing this any other way even with the 4ship.

4 ship can easily fit within 4 nm limit.

Basically, I like to challenge myself, be it the early break or SHB... of course:music_whistling:

No it can't. At 350kts you'll cover 4nm in 41 seconds. Even with lead breaking overhead the ship, that leaves ~14 second interval between following aircraft, which isn't much.

No it can't. At 350kts you'll cover 4nm in 41 seconds. Even with lead breaking overhead the ship, that leaves ~14 second interval between following aircraft, which isn't much.

You are forgetting the equally longer downwind leg which is done on speed resulting in roughly half the GS. This means the extra downwind distance that breaking later has created is covered in twice the time of that break delay. Thus the spacing at landing will be roughly three times the breaking interval.

In case of that 14 second break interval the spacing at landing will be 42 seconds.

Edited by Blackeye

You are forgetting the equally longer downwind leg which is done on speed resulting in roughly half the GS. This means the extra downwind distance that breaking later has created is covered in twice the time of that break delay. Thus the spacing at landing will be roughly three times the breaking interval.

In case of that 14 second break interval the spacing at landing will be 42 seconds.

I'm not forgetting anything. And nothing you said contradicts what I said.

What is standard interval for 4 ship after lead aircraft breaks?

There are few folks here that 'been there, done that' in the fleet, not just as part of Training Command syllabus in T 45's. They can give you a definite answer.

There are differences. Also, there are some differences between carrier qual. ops and regular fleet ops.

I would say 15sec. minimum? That can also change depending on situation.

That's a link to a file stored locally on your machine,

Luckily inaccessible to us.

The TO/Trim setting from the boat varies on weight.

It only matters for th2 few first seconds after launch and you grab hold of the stick and start flying, hands off stick during launch.

16 is almost to much for a light aircraft, 17, I'd probably wouldn't turn for unless I was in excess of 40k lbs.

Update:

From chucks f18, p112 the table seems to have the font and general look to have been pulled out of a natops.

CATAPULT LONGITUDINAL TRIM

WEIGHT BOARD

44,000 LBS AND BELOW = 16

45,000 - 48,000 LBS = 17

49,000 LBS AND ABOVE = 19

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.