[CORRECT AS IS]HUD is too washed out

Raven434th

Understood, but you still have to save the file after you've pasted and it tells me I'm not allowed to save.

You simply have to use your editor in Administrator mode.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

0, 0, 0, 1 for all black.

materials.lua uses 0-255 scale because all colors in games are 255 shades. But HUD_Init.lua uses 0-1 scale so you have to put them in below format or use decimal numbers. It's not 255 twice but 255 divided by 255 which is 1.

255/255 = 1

0/255 = 0

Hi

I'm not sure I follow.

Say I want RGB 17,17,112 for my HUD (dark blueish). What numbers would I need in the HUD_Init.lua?

I think I'd like a colour similar to the bluefor unit labels.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Have you tried it? I couldn't save in it's default location but I could on my desktop.

If your game is in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) then you'd need to use elevated rights (run as admin) to modify files in this folder.

I always install games elsewhere, e.g. D:\DCS for this very reason. There should never be a need to use elevated rights for a game.

So if DCS is in the C:\Program Files folder then you need to run notepad as admin in order to save into there, or as you've identified save to another location then copy over (which will prompt for permission which is effectively elevating to admin).

Let's keep this about the HUD. Anybody else have an opinion about the HUD?

Facts:

- The HUD in the A-10 is remarkably less visible than in ANY other DCS module.

- The A10C Hud uses the same principle as the F-18, F-15, su-27, Mirage 2000, F-16 etc. hud. It's a reflector.

If they use a terribly dim "light bulb" in the real airplane I don't know. Logic suggests the real plane has a hud that's visible enough to be usable in most conditions, which is not the case in DCS.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Hi

I'm not sure I follow.

Say I want RGB 17,17,112 for my HUD (dark blueish). What numbers would I need in the HUD_Init.lua?

I think I'd like a colour similar to the bluefor unit labels.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

If you're editing materials.lua {-92, -56, 0.2, 190}

If you're editing HUD_init.lua {-0.36, -0.22, 0, 1}

If you edit HUD_init.lua, you can use the INTEN rocker in the cockpit to be lighter or darker.

Edited by Taz1004

• 2 weeks later...

If you're editing materials.lua {-92, -56, 0.2, 190}

If you're editing HUD_init.lua {-0.36, -0.22, 0, 1}

If you edit HUD_init.lua, you can use the INTEN rocker in the cockpit to be lighter or darker.

This I don’t understand.

How does 17,17,112 relate to -0.36, 0.22, 0, 1 from the post above?

I also don’t get the negative values. What does that offer more than the regular 0/255 - 255/255 rgb values.

I have tried to make the green just a bit darker by using 0, 180/255, 0, 255/255 which would be a slightly darker green.

in this case I didn’t see a difference in green on the hud and it didn’t seem to work. But when doing 0, 0, 0, 1 it was black.

It seems very straightforward but it confuses me quite a bit.

This I don’t understand.

How does 17,17,112 relate to -0.36, 0.22, 0, 1 from the post above?

I also don’t get the negative values. What does that offer more than the regular 0/255 - 255/255 rgb values.

I have tried to make the green just a bit darker by using 0, 180/255, 0, 255/255 which would be a slightly darker green.

in this case I didn’t see a difference in green on the hud and it didn’t seem to work. But when doing 0, 0, 0, 1 it was black.

It seems very straightforward but it confuses me quite a bit.

I'll try to explain but if you don't understand, just try the values I suggested.

First, there're two scales. 0-255 and 0-1. Which is what adds to confusion. epoch who asked the question to me was talking in 0-255 scale. But HUDinit.lua uses 0-1 scale. materials.lua also uses 0-255 scale which is another confusion.

Any value between 0-255 (or 0-1) will not work for HUD readability. This is because DCS uses blending mode similar to overlay in Photoshop. Any value above 0 will be added on to background but if the background is already white like against cloud or horizon, it wont get whiter.

If you go negative, the value will be subtracted from white. And make it darker than white. Letting you see against white background.

This wouldn't be the case if they just used normal blending mode and adjusted through opacity. But we're told this is the way it is.

I'll try to explain but if you don't understand, just try the values I suggested.

First, there're two scales. 0-255 and 0-1. Which is what adds to confusion. epoch who asked the question to me was talking in 0-255 scale. But HUDinit.lua uses 0-1 scale. materials.lua also uses 0-255 scale which is another confusion.

Any value between 0-255 (or 0-1) will not work for HUD readability. This is because DCS uses blending mode similar to overlay in Photoshop. Any value above 0 will be added on to background but if the background is already white like against cloud or horizon, it wont get whiter.

If you go negative, the value will be subtracted from white. And make it darker than white. Letting you see against white background.

This wouldn't be the case if they just used normal blending mode and adjusted through opacity. But we're told this is the way it is.

Ah, ok. Thank you for clarifying :thumbup:

• 3 months later...

THANKS!

On 10/25/2020 at 10:00 PM, Taz1004 said: