TGP to STEER

TGP to STEER function (china hat aft long)

seems to have been replaced with TGP to SPI.

This breaks the previous markpoint workflow where one could explore and fire weapons with the TGP as SOI and go back to the current markpoint with a single hotas button.

Also it is redundant, as china hat fwd long slews all sensors, including the TGP, to the SPI.

Is this change correct? Does the real jet not have TGP to STEER?

Edited by Oznerol256

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It is a little awkward, but if the real HOTAS works this way, I'm fine with this change. But can somebody explain why it would be this way? I used to slew my sensors all the time between STRP and SPI with China Hat Aft/Forward long which was very useful.

Now you have the option to slew all sensors or only TGP to SPI, but not STRP - at least not in a direct manner. Seems much less useful to me and a little redundant, too like Oznerol256 mentioned.

Edited by Hive

It is a little awkward, but if the real HOTAS works this way, I'm fine with this change. But can somebody explain why it would be this way? I used to slew my sensors all the time between STRP and SPI with China Hat Aft/Forward long which seemed very useful.

Now you have the option to slew all sensors or only TGP to SPI, but not STRP - at least not in a direct manner. Seems much less useful to me and a little redundant.

Well, one instance would be CAS where you really only have two steerpoints:

1) Home Base

2) Your CP or Check In Point

Neither of which really require anything more than your NAV system and certainly don’t need to be scrutinized like a target.

Everything else is going to be fed to you in your AO by a JTAC or FAC(A) and if your TGP just floats in space between attack runs until you need to bring everything to bear, that’s really no big deal.

Another might be Armed Recon where you’re only given a rough idea where to look so you’re going to be pretty much anchored and orbiting in one place and be heavy on TGP work scanning for bad guys.

IF you’re given a target that’s co-located with a steerpoint, then all bets are off and you can slave everything to that point at will.

Point is, it’s rare where you need to have every sensor slaved to one spot at all times so if one or two are “dangling” it’s really not a big deal.

At least that’s how I see it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Well, one instance would be CAS where you really only have two steerpoints:

1) Home Base

2) Your CP or Check In Point

Neither of which really require anything more than your NAV system and certainly don’t need to be scrutinized like a target.

Everything else is going to be fed to you in your AO by a JTAC or FAC(A) and if your TGP just floats in space between attack runs until you need to bring everything to bear, that’s really no big deal.

Another might be Armed Recon where you’re only given a rough idea where to look so you’re going to be pretty much anchored and orbiting in one place and be heavy on TGP work scanning for bad guys.

IF you’re given a target that’s co-located with a steerpoint, then all bets are off and you can slave everything to that point at will.

Point is, it’s rare where you need to have every sensor slaved to one spot at all times so if one or two are “dangling” it’s really not a big deal.

At least that’s how I see it.

I think you are forgetting markpoints. They are specifically there to be able to memorize target locations and the only way to slave to them is to make them a steerpoint first.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think you are forgetting markpoints. They are specifically there to be able to memorize target locations and the only way to slave to them is to make them a steerpoint first.

TMS Right Long.

Edited by Yurgon
Quoted the wrong post

It's too bad they messed up some useful controls and made things more cumbersome. All could be fixed if they just allowed us to assign functions as we need to. That way those who want the controls to be exactly as they are IRL could have them, and those who are ok with some compromises which make the sim more workable could have theirs.

Even though they removed the simple method to select TGP to Steerpoint, I noticed that you can China Hat Aft Short (LSS Toggle) then China Hat Aft Long to get TGP to Steerpoint in addition to the other methods mentioned.

It's too bad they messed up some useful controls and made things more cumbersome.

Even though they removed the simple method to select TGP to Steerpoint, I noticed that you can China Hat Aft Short (LSS Toggle) then China Hat Aft Long to get TGP to Steerpoint in addition to the other methods mentioned.

Slave TGP to STPT is still CHAL (china hat aft long), just like it's always been.....

There is no need to CHAS (china hat aft short) to enter LSS mode, unless you are actually searching for a buddy lase.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Slave TGP to STPT is still CHAL (china hat aft long), just like it's always been.....

Nope, it slaves TGP to SPI and CHFL slaves all to SPI, per my experience and per the manual.

For example if you're generating the SPI with your TGP and wish to slave it to a steerpoint, you must TMS aft long to set the steerpoint as SPI before the TGP will slave to it. This is an unfortunate change that's going to take a while to get used to.

Edited by Deezle

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Nope, it slaves TGP to SPI and CHFL slaves all to SPI, per my experience and per the manual.

For example if you're generating the SPI with your TGP and wish to slave it to a steerpoint, you must TMS aft long to set the steerpoint as SPI before the TGP will slave to it. This is an fortunate change that's going to take a while to get used to.

Ah, that is my mistake - but fortunately the method you describe the the second part of your post is how I did it in the original A10C - so I was doing it incorrect originally but now don’t have to adapt my muscle memory. A win for me? Debatable..

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

As I mentioned, with TGP as SOI I can CHAS followed by CHAL to get TGP to Steerpoint without changing the SPI to the steerpoint. Anyone else?

That's a good find, it appears in addition to setting the TGP into laser search mode, CHAS also resets the SPI to the steerpoint. This method is faster and more fluid that using TMS aft long to reset the SPI to steerpoint first if you were used to always using CHAL to slave to steerpoint.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

But if you set STPT on the HUD then you can Slave All to any of four distinct things...

It can be a Waypoint

It can be a Markpoint

It can be a Mission Point

It can be something Hooked on your TAD

I’ve developed two reflexive things with this new HOTAS arrangement:

- Put the TGP in INR after each attack so it stays in the general area I’m working

- Put the HUD back to STPT so that it’s always referencing my chosen STPT Generator.

Having the ability to easily change from Waypoint to Markpoint to Mission Point is invaluable.

I have it bound to Coolie Hat Left / Forward / Right respectively with the Paddle Switch as a modifier.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

www.crosswindimages.com

As I mentioned, with TGP as SOI I can CHAS followed by CHAL to get TGP to Steerpoint without changing the SPI to the steerpoint. Anyone else?

This doesn't work or it only works because if TGP is SPI and you engage LSS the SPI becomes STPT. It's still slaving TGP to SPI, you've just found a different way to make STPT SPI before doing so.

If you have a different SPI that LSS doesn't interrupt, like TDC then during LSS the SPI remains TDC and CHAL still slaves TGP to SPI.

Having the ability to easily change from Waypoint to Markpoint to Mission Point is invaluable.

I have it bound to Coolie Hat Left / Forward / Right respectively with the Paddle Switch as a modifier.

Dude I can highly recommend getting a Buddyfox UFC. That thing is useful as **** (who would have known?!)

Dude I can highly recommend getting a Buddyfox UFC. That thing is useful as **** (who would have known?!)

Dude, I have one...

But the HOTAS bindings are faster and I can switch modes without looking.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

www.crosswindimages.com