Stranded Sub QuickStart Mission

Batman76

the mission has several problems

briefing says youll get told where the ships are over radio, but i didnt. as you said, one of the mavericks is training. another issue is that the other maverick just doesnt want to lock onto ships (at least for me). apkws wont sink anything.

yeah i dont think its possible to finish this mission.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

none of the enemy boats ever spawned for me, flew around for 10 minutes and quit.

try switching camera to the ships using F9. thats how i found them. they are quite far away.

you're equipped with a training maverick because you were diverted from a training exercise

makes sense, but it limits your already insufficient firepower.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

• 3 weeks later...

It's rubbish :(

no radio instructions - but your wingman will engage the ships straight away because he's a computer and knows where everything is. Sadly he bores straight in and launches his Mav and APKWS. Then he dies to the absolute hail of gunfire those FFG can produce.

It seems that you can get closer from the back of the ship and use the GAU (the only weapon that does any damage to the ships) but you then die as you pull out because the neighbouring vessels can engage you.

APKWS are the HE variant and a full load isn't enough to stop the ship from getting into missile range, let alone sink it.

Give up, move on - this mission is broken AFAICT.

Things that need to be fixed.

1. Directions to target

2. Weapons that damage ships

3. If you want to us to sink 3 ships, send a flght of at least four. Or reduce the number of targets.

2/10 please try again.

Is it not possible to edit the mission in mission editor to equip an adequate loadout for the aircraft? Would also think that you could take a quick look at where the enemy ships are located - so you could have some kind of reference when flying the mission?

I haven't personally tried the mission - only the instant action mission for Syria (which has it's own "issues").

Anyways, just a thought.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

it is possible, but i still doubt you could sink those 3 ships with any loadout.

A 2000lb laser-guided bomb works fine. Drop it from above the engagement range of the guns, and then you can finish off the ships with the GAU-8.

• 2 months later...

Slightly calmer now after Christmas 🙂

You can send your wingman to engage the ships at the start of the mission, watch his SPI in your helmet sight and put your own SPI/Sensor pod over his.

Then tell your wingman to rejoin before he does anything stupid.

The GBU 54s in laser mode will slow the FFG with about 36% damage but you can't make your wingman use them and he seems to prefer committing pointless suicide by attacking with Maverick and then closing to engage with rockets.

I hit one FFG with all 21 Hydra and it caused 22% damage.

I did wonder if changing to tail fusing on the GBU-54 would be more effective against a ship, but it doesn't seem to be possible to change it. At least, I lost interest in this mission before I worked it out.

I hit another FFG with >250 30mm (according to the post mission debrief) but it didn't care much, and it killed me before I could see the % damage.

Above about 12k feet the ships don't engage so that's your change to drop bombs on them.

So yeah - forget it with the stock loadout. You'll need 2000lb bombs, at least 3.

Edited by Morat

• 2 months later...

I've been trying this mission recently and I had no problem finding the ships but I can't damage the ships at all. Firing all the APKWS results in 3-4% damage on one ship. The one good MAV won't lock and my GBU-54s do not want to track my laser, whether I'm in autolaze or manual lazing, they only seem to go after the TGP coords at launch moment.. GAU is a suicide run.

Shelving until something changes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2020 at 1:17 AM, Batman76 said:

Same for me second mav won‘t lock, ships are spawning , when you reach the island WP.

What about Force Correlate mode?

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K  -  GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3090 OC Edition  - Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula Motherboard  -  RAM: 64 GB HyperX  -  EK Open Loop liquid-cooling  -  PSU: FSP Hydro+ PTM 1200 Watt liquid-cooled Power Supply   -   PIMAX 8KX Headset

ThrustMaster Warthog Throttle and Stick  -  Winwing Landing and Combat Panels  -  MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals