SCUD Missiles impact location offset from assigned target

Aarnoman

Version: 2.5.6.55847 (current OB)

Bug: When a SCUD launcher is assigned a target location with the fire at point command, it will miss with the same ~2nm offset every time.

Expected behaviour: SCUD missile should impact the location selected with the fire at point command.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Place SCUD launcher in mission editor.

2) Assign target using fire at point command, keeping it in between minimum and maximum range circles.

2.5) Make sure wind is set to 0 in mission.

3) Start mission.

4) (speed up as neccesary)

5) Observe discrepancy in actual impact point compared to assigned impact point.

6) Reapeat 1-5. The missile will hit the exact same location as observed previously (miss by same distance and direction).

Example mission attached, including image of impact location distance and direction from assigned target.

The intersection of runways is assigned target in mission editor, the compound to the 229 2nm is the actual impact location, every time mission is run.

EDIT: Refer to post 10 (https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4513240&postcount=10) for further information.

Thank you Shadow KT for providing this additional information.

1.thumb.jpg.f09b17ea283eb73bd403abe36995b68e.jpg

scudTest.miz

Hi. To my knowledge, the SCUD is not finished yet. It was released at an early stage so players can use it to populate their missions, but the unit is not supposed to fire at something because ED hasn't implemented a ballistic missile model in the sim yet.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Hi. To my knowledge, the SCUD is not finished yet. It was released at an early stage so players can use it to populate their missions, but the unit is not supposed to fire at something because ED hasn't implemented a ballistic missile model in the sim yet.

Hi Flappie,

The ballistic missile code was introduced to the sim on the 3rd June 2020 (Open Beta update) which made the SCUD launchable.

Callsign: NAKED

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The SCUD doesn't compensate for elevation. So, if you are not complete flat when firing, which is basically always, there is going to be a big error in the shot. Error is going to be consistent no matter where you aim at, as long as you don't move your SCUD

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Hi Flappie,

The ballistic missile code was introduced to the sim on the 3rd June 2020 (Open Beta update) which made the SCUD launchable.

Thanks for the heads-up, I completely missed that one. :doh:

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Plus the fact that to my knowledge the SCUD B uses inertial navigation which is susceptible to drift. The level of drift increases with time in flight therefore the target range will have an impact on where the missile lands.

The SCUD Bs maximum range is suggested to be 300km therefore the closer to that maximum range the target is, the further the drift. Launches on targets that are closer in range reduces that drift in sim. Therefore repeated launches at the same location would/could produce the same results.

Test it for yourself by reducing the target point distance and watch the drift reduce the closer the target. Just my humble observations. Cheers.

Callsign: NAKED

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The horizontal platform issue makes no sense to me... I mean obviously there are limits, but there is a reason why the bed of the truck has these booster legs, so it can put its self level.

As I said, obviously there is a limit to what they can do, but right now there is no way you can actually compensate for the terrain elevation error, except firing multiple missiles from the same spot and compensating by eyeballing the error on the map

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

I thought 2nm was good.

In fact the SCUD had such a bad reputation we nicknamed a guy I used the fly with ‘The SCUD”, every time he took off you never knew where he would land. (You can never have too much fuel, unless you are on fire)

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

The SCUD doesn't compensate for elevation. So, if you are not complete flat when firing, which is basically always, there is going to be a big error in the shot. Error is going to be consistent no matter where you aim at, as long as you don't move your SCUD

From some further testing this appears to be the cause.

The horizontal platform issue makes no sense to me... I mean obviously there are limits, but there is a reason why the bed of the truck has these booster legs, so it can put its self level.

As I said, obviously there is a limit to what they can do, but right now there is no way you can actually compensate for the terrain elevation error, except firing multiple missiles from the same spot and compensating by eyeballing the error on the map

Sums up why the current implementation is somewhat nonsensical, especially given the fact the launcher has stabilising booster legs to become level prior to launch.

Additionally, as the impact point does not change between launches (deviation remains identical if the launchpoint is not moved) this negates any arguments that this is an implementation of intentional inaccuracy/simulating CEP/etc. This is either a bug or a very thoughtless implementation of the ballistic mechanics.

• ED Team

Thank you for the report,

it is a bug, while there should be some aiming error with scud the error seems to be static which is wrong.

I have reported

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 5 months later...
  • NineLine changed the title to SCUD Missiles impact location offset from assigned target