[OPTION IN NEXT UPDATE] Helmet mounted sight in VR - shouldn't it be a monocle?

Flamin_Squirrel

The HUD is not fixed to your head. You've got a reference frame because of how it reacts to your head movement. Our minds are really good at constructing 3d scene from limited information, even without stereoscopic or depth information. It's enough just to see that the HUD images stay in one place while you move your head forward/sideways, and your mind already knows it's far away. Even if the focal plane doesn't match what you see.

HMD is very different because it's fixed to your head and you don't have any reference as to where it should be located. So in VR it "feels" like it's close to your head, while in real life it would "feel" like it's far away, because you could see it clearly only with your eye focused on far away objects.

A bit like a camera on this HUD photo: https://i.redd.it/jz4066uc24r51.jpg

Anyway, this is drifting more and more off-topic. More options regarding HMD display are fine, and it's great that we'll have that. I'm just pointing out that it's not really more realistic to have HMD in one eye as you're still subject to the same VR limitations, that make it harder to use than it is in real life.

• Like 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

You're still missing some1's point. Depth of field is a result of focal length, something our eyes have to adjust for (the same as a camera) and is one of the ways we perceive depth. Focal length is fixed in VR, so we've lost this information. VR only provides depth perception through stereoscopic vision - it's totally independent of focal length.

Whether this makes much difference to the topic at hand is perhaps more up for debate, but the idea that it could seems perfectly possible.

What you describe is a depth perception thanks to stereoscopic vision and that doesn't work if an object is displayed only in one eye. In real life, even with one eye closed, you can still roughly estimate distance thanks to the changes in eye focus between objects. You can't do that in VR as with one eye closed, the other eye just sees a flat screen with all objects at the same focus distance (1-2 meters, manufacturers don't give the exact number).

Exactly.

That has been the major problem in the military simulators for decades (they have been pioneers in this VR area) why it has not been taken in use for long time because it causes problems for pilots to withstand the VR. Just that the eye doesn't focus and cross properly like in reality (you are looking at infinity at most, closest is your cockpit. In VR it is 2 meters to closer by crossing).

So with the HMD screen displayed in one eye in VR, your mind has no option than to think the display is close to your head, where your eyes are focused (1-2 meters). It would not react like that in real life, with HMD screen focused on far away plane, basically infinity.

Oculus has the fixed 2 meters focus distance, until they get the electronic lens focusing so that focus can actually be shifted.

Yep, and 1-2 meters offered by VR headsets is not "infinity". It's just a compromise so that our minds can be tricked into depth perception by only using stereoscopic vision. It works fine in most cases, as stereoscopic vision is our main source of depth perception in real life. But it hits the system limitation with things like HUDs, HMDs and the likes.

It is not bad for majority. The 2 meters is enough to create the infinity feeling, but some are just problematic alone to have something rendering only on non-dominant eye (most are left eye dominant) and they try to read something like changing numbers and so, it will just cause trouble.

That's why having the HMD screen in one eye only is not quite as realistic experience as you may think, and harder on your eyes than it would be in real life.

Actually it is more realistic.

I am one of those rare who can look different things with both eyes (read different books same time), I don't have a dominant eye. Sometimes I forget which one is my dominant when I am tired and I get carried with rapid switching of images. I as well use weekly, if not every day a one eye for one display information and other eye just for peripheral vision. I am very well trained for handling two different sides. Like I can write with both hands with pen, without any trouble the same text (imitating) and with focusing I can write two different texts same time.

And the one eye HMD in DCS is far more realistic than having it on both. It breaks everything having it on both eyes and it really feels it is on the eye than infinity.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 6 months later...

I am unable to use my right eye due to a pellet gun accident as a youth, I can see with my right eye but unable to focus enough to read anything as I have a black spot in the middle. I really need the option to switch the settings to my left eye like the F18. I really hope they add this option in VR otherwise the HMSC is useless to me which would really suck.

9 hours ago, caustic68 said:

I really hope they add this option in VR otherwise the HMSC is useless to me which would really suck.

The option is already there. Go to Settings > Special > A10C II and you can set it to Left Eye, Right Eye or Both Eyes. 

Edited by Hive
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Im practically blind in my right eye and have only just started out in the world of VR, this feature would really be super useful please 🙂

• Like 1

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

8 hours ago, Snoopy said:

It’s already there, special options tab IIRC

Its already there under special for all aircraft other than the KA-50, which is what the OP is about.

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

56 minutes ago, Snoopy said:

explain to me what the Ka-50 has to do with an A-10C II wishlist thread?

Ahh soz I didn't realise that, I did a DCS KA-50 Google search on the issue and it brought me here, I see now how my original comment was misunderstood.

Basically all modules that use some sort of eye overlay have an option in the special tab to change eyes, except that is for the KA-50 😞

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

It has been discussed before, but never reported as a bug. So here it is:
The night vision goggles claim the complete field of view in VR while in 2D it is possible to see the instrument panel under them which is very helpful. As far as I have read it is possible to see your surroundings under the goggles in reality, too. So this should be corrected for VR, so that we do not longer depend on mods to do so (I used 3Dmigoto which does not work anymore after patch 2.8). It is even unfair as it gives pancake pilots an advantage over VR users.

Please have a look at this post from @Snoopy:

On 10/4/2020 at 2:16 PM, Snoopy said:

I didn’t say that either, the HMCS goes over one eye (the pilots dominate eye) aka monocle. The NVGs we use have two tubes but it should look like a “circle” and not cover the entire VR view.

Edited by Hive

Yes, it is a circle in VR. I assume the exact size depends on the headset's field of view (but it is always too big). Perhaps we just need a slider to adjust it. As that is possible via mods, it shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Edited by Hive