[DCS ISSUE] AWLS - Ashore and Afloat

Callsign_DISCO

Following up on Discord discussion.

AV-8B AWLS does not function as intended afloat, no ability to tune Tarawa ICLS beacon for Localizer and Glideslope.

No AWLS function ashore on NTTR, Syria or PG Maps - there was some functionality on Caucasus but not sure it still works there.

Expected function would be accurate Localizer and Glideslope guidance for Ashore ILS\ICLS, as well as Afloat ICLS from CV\CVN\LHA.

I am unable to save tracks for some reason but this appears to be a known issue based on comments from others in Discord.

DISCO

Following up on Discord discussion.

AV-8B AWLS does not function as intended afloat, no ability to tune Tarawa ICLS beacon for Localizer and Glideslope.

No AWLS function ashore on NTTR, Syria or PG Maps - there was some functionality on Caucasus but not sure it still works there.

Expected function would be accurate Localizer and Glideslope guidance for Ashore ILS\ICLS, as well as Afloat ICLS from CV\CVN\LHA.

I am unable to save tracks for some reason but this appears to be a known issue based on comments from others in Discord.

DISCO

In order to confirm this I will need a .trk file to press it forward. If you have others that were present and confirm the missing functionality then I encourage you to have them post their files here.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

In order to confirm this I will need a .trk file to press it forward.

No problem, attatched is a test track at Nellis, the only change from this 2018 report is that the Harrier's AWLS now uses Channel 1 at Nellis.

Selecting AWSL tunes to the correct TACAN 12X b̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶E̶H̶S̶D̶ ̶u̶n̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶s̶w̶i̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶T̶A̶C̶A̶N̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶r̶e̶q̶u̶i̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶r̶r̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶n̶e̶l̶ ̶s̶e̶p̶a̶r̶a̶t̶e̶l̶y̶.̶

Once on the Nellis approach I selected AWLS on the EHSD - the HUD shows the TACAN DME and AWLS symbology but there's no glideslope or localizer guidance.

qcgeGro.jpg

... a A-10C track from the same mission is also attached to show RWY 21 ILS is functioning at Nellis

The ILS frequencies in

• "DCS World\Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Cockpit\Scripts\RadioNav\AN_ARN128_config.lua"

are correct but only the Caucasus Map (Map 1) table works.

I don't recall testing the Persian Gulf (Map 4) table and there's no table for Syria ATM, but you might consider adding one once you can get the Nevada and Persian Gulf ILS tables working.

If you have others that were present and confirm the missing functionality then I encourage you to have them post their files here.

I'm not sure what you mean, the Harrier's AWLS has been coded to use ILS "look-up" tables rather than to guide on ICLS as found in DCS.

Note: I'm not 100% sure that the Tarawa is/was equipped with AWLS IRL as the antenna, etc. the USS Wasp LHD-1 has for AWLS don't seem to be visible on pictures of the Tarawa. You'd need to discuss with an SME and/or make a gameplay decision on that.

I *can* guide onto the Tarawa by enabling DCS's ICLS and using a Hornet but

• "DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\AV8BNA\LHA_Tarawa.lua"

... has ED's default ICLS value for it's deck 189°, so is set for an angled deck, rather than straight in as would be correct for the Tarawa.

Edited by Ramsay
TACAN Course line DOES WORK with AWSL selected.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Testing in Open Beta 2.5.6.55847

Both Caucasus (Kobuleti, RWY 07)

RqK5wTz.jpg

and Persian Gulf (Al Minhad, RWY 27)

CGzPe5v.jpg

... work, so it looks like it may only be Nevada that's the problem.

Things I noted while testing the Persian Gulf -

• Khasab's TACAN has been removed from the DCS map but the old one (84) is still listed in the Harrier's AN_ARN128_config.lua

• AWLS is associated with a TACAN beacon IRL (to help navigate/line up on it's narrow microwave beam), few of the Persian Gulf airports in the Harrier's channel list have TACAN beacons i.e. it makes AWLS operation much worse/fictional than the Caucasus map where we might "pretend" there is a AN/TPN-30A providing TACAN and AWLS guidance.

IMHO it'd be worthwhile to take into account which airports have TACAN beacons when adding the Syria map to AN_ARN128_config.lua

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 2 weeks later...

i tried a little something and in my opinion the following AWLS Channels works in Persian Gulf:

AWLS 12 --> RW 19 --> Khasab

AWLS 7 --> RW 30R --> Dubai Intl

AWLS 14 + 15 --> RW 29 --> Fujairah Intl

AWLS 4 --> RW 27 --> Al Minhad AB

AWLS 2 --> RW 30 --> Al Maktoum Intl

AWLS 16 --> RW 29L --> Shiraz Intl

but, of course, this is not what the kneeboard looks like.

i hope Razbam update und correct the AWLS in PG and Syria as soon as possible...but well, we know Razbam...

i tried a little something and in my opinion the following AWLS Channels works in Persian Gulf

... but, of course, this is not what the kneeboard looks like.

Note that ATC will only set the opposite direction RWY/ILS "active" with an appropriate wind strength/direction (+6 knot headwind) and that some of DCS's PG ILS frequencies are either invalid or simply don't work for any aircraft i.e. A-10C, F-16C, etc.

It's important not to mix PG map issues with AV-8B problems and cross check using another module if reporting a AV-8B ILS issue on the PG map.

Note that ATC will only set the opposite direction RWY/ILS "active" with an appropriate wind strength/direction (+6 knot headwind) and that some of DCS's PG ILS frequencies are either invalid or simply don't work for any aircraft i.e. A-10C, F-16C, etc.

It's important not to mix PG map issues with AV-8B problems and cross check using another module if reporting a AV-8B ILS issue on the PG map.

As Ramsay said it is a known bug affecting all modules with ILS. Moving to resolved and tagged as DCS issue

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.