Hornet HMD Crosshair

hein22

I am understanding what all of you are saying but I still blame this on ED.

We generally fly looking at the VV.

We shoot guns looking at a cross hair.

We fire rockets looking at a different type cross hair.

We shoot missiles looking at various types of aim reticles usually in the form of circle.

Every one of these works just fine w/ the default view.

Then I try the HMD planning to use the HMD to fire 9x missiles. W/ HMD on, when I look straight I see the standard Aim9 aim circle in it's standard position and the HMD isn't really visible. (I know the HMD is there but it is not very visible) If I turn my head slightly to either side, the HMD circle pops into view but it is much lower than the conventional circle. Well this is just great. If I am wanting to use the HMD I am generally cranking through a turn and, if the HMD were higher, that would be helpful. W/ it being lower it is actually almost a hindrance. I am NOT going to mess w/ my default head position (or default view) to get the HMD to work better and screw up my view for every other facet of flying the FA-18.

Here is an idea which I know isn't realistic, but what the he11, let's use the dang HMD to aim MavFs.

This is because the default camera position is tilted downwards, in order to include the DDIs. This makes it easier for people who don't use any kind of head tracking, I guess.

What you can do is to turn the HMD on and then use the + at its center as reference (it's always visible) and center your view so that the + matches the position of the VV, in straight and level flight (or while on the ground).

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Many TrackIR users should as well apply some custom curves to their TrackIR software output scales. So that they can look easily around the front cockpit and then have accelerated view turn when they move further away from the center.

This allows smooth and slow view movement in front and then easy way to glance something around you.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Honestly i think we should be able to either align the HMD ourselves or make it align with HUD by default cause it is painfully akward now to use. The way DCS standart cam is kinda making us using the upper half of the screen as "look outside" area, with the HMD that offset, whenever you look outside, using that upper half of the screen cause you're so used to due to the cam being setup that way for severals years on several if not all modules, it feel unalign and akward. A simple option to align it to our liking would fix this and probably make it more enjoyable for TIR user.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah as I said, people are thrown because ED place the default view looking down. The JHMCS DAC itself is fine where it is, people just need to look up more.

I noticed today that my JHMCS is higher than it use to be. Now if I look straight forward the HUD at natural manner, the cross will point top of the HUD itself with all data. To align the JHMCS with the HUD, I need to look much more downward, almost to the center DDI to get the JHMCS aligned with it.

Honestly i think we should be able to either align the HMD ourselves or make it align with HUD by default cause it is painfully akward now to use.

We should get that. As it is a function for the JHMCS to be able get it done so by using a various patterns with the HUD. This way you would sync the helmet with the targeting system and likely as well get the JHMCS moved around your helmet visor for optimal position.

Honestly i think we should be able to either align the HMD ourselves or make it align with HUD by default cause it is painfully akward now to use. The way DCS standart cam is kinda making us using the upper half of the screen as "look outside" area, with the HMD that offset, whenever you look outside, using that upper half of the screen cause you're so used to due to the cam being setup that way for severals years on several if not all modules, it feel unalign and akward. A simple option to align it to our liking would fix this and probably make it more enjoyable for TIR user.

..And this is how you do that:

The procedure is as follows:

-If you are using TIR(or other head tracking), pause it or turn it off.

-Center the view by pressing NumPad 5.(by default)

-Use NumPad 8 to raise your POV.

-Pressing RAlt+NumPad 0 will save the new POV as default center.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

Well, looks like it's a bug, certainly in the A-10C II it is, which BN says has been fixed internally. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=288069

Maybe the Hornet will get the same attention, as it is worse than the A-10C II in this respect.

Noticed too. Hopefully the fix is coming as it is now annoying to use JHMCS on hornet when looking straight the cross is pointing just above the middle mirror. If going to adjust HMD to barely having anything sharp because IPD point, then it is possible get cross just on, or bottom edge of the middle mirror. But that means the HMD is pressing heavily the face and it is required to be tighten so much that it starts hurting the head.

It use to be in the center, but something moved it upwards (might be that people have been wanting it to be upward more, and now what we have is the "fix").

• 2 months later...

Actually, this option exist for the Ka-50. You can adjust the crosshair height at discretion. Zoom center and aiming center are uncorrelated but in dogfight you are looking on the upper screen zone. And 5° upper for aiming are more convenient. There is a reason why the F-16 gun line is pointing 3° pitch up.

Real pilots don't need engines !