Honey, I developed FFB joystick (DIY)

I use standart STM32 HAL USB stack with descriptior from oficial PID documentation. For TM I already implemented reading TM devices. Simply need to found TM grip to test that everything works as intended( now only tested with TM ferrary wheel :) )

Propeler, where are you located? I have TM Cougar and Warthog grips I could send, but I'm in the US, and international shipping these days has been quite slow and unreliable.

nice job, precise and clean

Steel Hotas Warthog + Hoffmans F16 rudders, Oculus Rift S, EVGA RTX3090, Core i7 4790K

Hangar: Ka50, A10C, A10A, A10CII, SU27, SU33, SU25, Av8BNA, Bf109K4, F16C, F86, FA18C, FW190D9, i-16, L39C, Mi8, MiG15, MiG19P, MiG21, P51D, Spitfire, SuperCarrier, Yak52, P47, F14, Mi24P, Me262?

Flying over CAU, NEV, NORM, SYR, CHNL, PER, ATL

• 2 weeks later...

because of the size, usually you dont build a house for the simulator ( but I did :) )

Steel Hotas Warthog + Hoffmans F16 rudders, Oculus Rift S, EVGA RTX3090, Core i7 4790K

Hangar: Ka50, A10C, A10A, A10CII, SU27, SU33, SU25, Av8BNA, Bf109K4, F16C, F86, FA18C, FW190D9, i-16, L39C, Mi8, MiG15, MiG19P, MiG21, P51D, Spitfire, SuperCarrier, Yak52, P47, F14, Mi24P, Me262?

Flying over CAU, NEV, NORM, SYR, CHNL, PER, ATL

Measured static force which joystick can produce. At the point marked with arrow measured 1.25 kg with cheap china power supply 12V / 15A. After 5 minutes of static load motors and controller are barely warm. I think 30A power source can be used safely and it will give us nearly 2.5kg load at 45cm lever.

image_262100.thumb.jpg.b924929740f17d7edc2bb7c58b4dd4af.jpg

IMG_20201113_162156.thumb.jpg.ea38628f525465c36667b936f7c689f1.jpg

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Please realise this into a viable option before I drop my wallet on the Brunner !!

Following 😄

On 10/17/2020 at 5:06 PM, walmis said:

Hey, congrats on the project. It seems we're working on something similar in parallel 🙂

My idea is to build a FFB stick from easily obtainable materials - mainly 3d printed parts and laser cut plywood box parts and standard bearings, pulleys, belts.

It's also based on stm32 and I have good progress on the FFB firmware. All the USB PID supported effects are implemented.

Here's my FFB stick mk1 Based on brushed motors. But due to magnetic cogging, I've decided to move to bldc motors with software anticogging compensation. Got VIRPIL stick fully working with analog brake axis also. Sadly currently stuck with this project for the time being due to home renovation eating my free time. But hopefully I will continue soon. I will need to organize the project and will probably release it as open source.

N76JIjC.jpg

LtN54CW.jpg

Few videos of it in action

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2fGB5Ef6h8aierKJ8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/u41nxrkYLfdfYnGS9

This also looks very good, also interested to see this one when you finish ! 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, some updates on my FFB journey. I've been busy testing and finalizing my FOC motor driver, specialized for FFB application.

It's usable on any 3 phase PMSM motor, but I've specifically designed it for 57BLF0x series NEMA case style brushless motors. It fits on the motor end and is attached to to motor case directly, with some thermal paste, mosfets have a good thermal path to the motor casing.

These motors have quite a bit of cogging out of the box, but when this cogging torque is mapped and cancelled out by software, It's almost non-existent, as if the shaft spins only on bearings, though some faint "digital" noise is felt due to encoder noise and pwm quantization. I've attached a motor cogging map, on the Y axis it shows the required holding current, and on the X axis the encoder position. Encoder is AS5600 which is a 12bit magnetic absolute angle encoder.

On the project I use FDMS8018 mosfets (which can handle quite a lot of current when heatsinked) coupled with very fast mosfet drivers provides a quite high power drive and precise torque over the whole revolution.

The hardware project is hosted here: https://github.com/walmis/BLDC-Servo

At the current state there's very little documentation, but I will start working on it as things progress.

Today I've ordered revision 2 of this board from jlcpcb to get rid of some nasty issues of my prototype board.

5 boards cost me 30 euros with SMT assembly and shipping excluding MCU, mosfets, current amplifiers, gate drivers, current shunts and a few small components. That should add around 5-15 euros per board, depending on supplier.

And two of these motors will go into the final FFB joystick assembly 🙂

IMG_20210110_173842.jpg

IMG_20210110_173758.jpg

BLDC-driver.png

cogmap.png

BLDC-driver-bot.png

Edited by walmis
add link to motor
  • Like 4