Why I can not fire AGM-65?

Alon_D

Hello everyone

After going through some tutorials on youtube I do practice on AGM-65 and can't launch the missile to the sights I seem to have done according to the tutorial

I do not know the professional name but the pointer is marked in red from the flash as soon as I press the weapon launch button

Attach pictures here and I would love to get help from you for what I do wrong

25.png.8fa972267676aef267449873784f7a99.png

1.thumb.jpg.2c8ecf8fb08bfe36d3da62097ceb01fc.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.4818919dfdc12f9bd736e6b3b8c5869b.jpg

Edited by Alon_D
  • Like 1

EO VIS should be able to have TGP handoff but it's not enabled in DCS. So when you designate HUD the SOI switches to WPN and then you have to continue to slew and track on WPN format. You can look at the TGP with your eyes but it doesn't do anything to help aim.

There is a weird thing where the crosshairs are centered on the target but it's not actually a track as the crosshair inner points don't collapse onto the target. If you can see space between the target and the crosshair line then it's not fully tracking. Left image is not tracking. Right image is tracking. Missile won't launch without track.

NoTrack.png.5fc9cd1f6a8e2355bfccadde8ba6d6cb.png

Track.png.41887d8f4cf16c285c850aa5024747d0.png

PRE mode works well without a TGP, shooting at a planned steerpoint. You'll want to be in area mode for that on the K model of the Mav.

For targets of opportunity, either Bore or VIS is great.

Use the BW/WB modes for attacking vehicles in good contrast daylight. If you lost daylight, or are under an overcast, the BW/WB won't lock onto the vehicle, and you need to switch to Area mode. Area is great for buildings, but not ideal against vehicles.

I haven't used the IR Mavs that much, because I'm not flying at night and I want the option to attack buildings.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Maverick locks are very bugged right now. You're getting stuck on in the handoff without it completing. Workaround is to use the H, target what you want to shoot with the pod with the Maverick slaved (pre mode) then use area lock on the Maverick. This will allow it to lock on the location bypassing the locking bugs, and the area will be the target thanks to slaving to the pod. Note this will only work if the target is stationary, it will not work with moving targets.

Don't use the TPOD. just use VIS mode on the WPN page. That works fine. Make HUD SOI, get the box over the enemy, make the WPN page SOI, and fine tune the crosshairs over the target, TMS up to lock, and fire.

That works! But, only with a steerpoint!

If you don´t have a steerpoint, the box in the HUD stays fix, you can´t slew it. Can´t comprehend why.

In the F-18 or Jf-17 it works fine, but in the F-16 you need a steerpoint to move the box or crosshair on the HUD.....don´t know why!

If you don´t have a steerpoint

If you ever spawn with no waypoints you should have a serious talk with the mission's creator.

The TGP had problems with no waypoints from the start and still has. It's baffling how many server owners/mission creators haven't figured that out yet. A single waypoint on the airfield would 'fix' several A2G issues and it's just 1 extra click in the mission editor.

• 5 months later...

Handoff is working np , it just won't get off the rails... sorry for bump what is this sorcery

Edit* , ok after handoff you need to SOI to the missile camera, and then press TMS UP, once more 

And then you can fire

edit* , nope when you do the above you switch the missile to bore mode. Yes it does fire like that and it's aimed at the same target as the TGP but it SHOULD fire in slave mode but it just won't. 

Edited by Csgo GE oh yeah

If you are dong AUTO handoff, TGP remains SOI.  If you are doing MAN handoff, you have to SOI over to MAV and complete the lock with TMS Up.

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

On 3/29/2021 at 7:28 PM, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

Handoff is working np , it just won't get off the rails... sorry for bump what is this sorcery

Edit* , ok after handoff you need to SOI to the missile camera, and then press TMS UP, once more 

And then you can fire

edit* , nope when you do the above you switch the missile to bore mode. Yes it does fire like that and it's aimed at the same target as the TGP but it SHOULD fire in slave mode but it just won't. 

Is your Master Arm on?

Have you set the TGP to Auto or Man handoff mode?

You switching to Boresight mode after TMS up on the missile tells me 2 things,

1. your Mav was in Vis mode

2. your TMS up button is mapped to TMS left, check your button mapping again

Missile has to be set to Pre mode for auto handoff to work.

Auto handoff only works for D and G models of Maverick, those are the IR models, and G model has larger warhead than the D model. H and K models are TV guided and auto handoff does not work with those.

Also it has to be in approximately 7 miles range, depends on the target size, if you notice that Mav aim crosshair broke it entered a break lock mode which means it didn't acquire a lock, so you need to re-target by pressing TMS down once on the Targeting Pod, then TMS up to initiate handoff again, or you can make your Mav page SOI with DMS down and then TMS down to break that brak lock mode and then TMS up to lock the target.

If you still have problems, attach a track here that way we can see what exactly is wrong and we can help you out.

Edited by Furiz
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Furiz said:

Is your Master Arm on?

Have you set the TGP to Auto or Man handoff mode?

You switching to Boresight mode after TMS up on the missile tells me 2 things,

1. your Mav was in Vis mode

2. your TMS up button is mapped to TMS right, check your button mapping again

Missile has to be set to Pre mode for auto handoff to work.

Auto handoff only works for D and G models of Maverick, those are the IR models, and G model has larger warhead than the D model. H and K models are TV guided and auto handoff does not work with those.

Also it has to be in approximately 7 miles range, depends on the target size, if you notice that Mav aim crosshair broke it entered a break lock mode which means it didn't acquire a lock, so you need to re-target by pressing TMS down once on the Targeting Pod, then TMS up to initiate handoff again, or you can make your Mav page SOI with DMS down and then TMS down to break that brak lock mode and then TMS up to lock the target.

If you still have problems, attach a track here that way we can see what exactly is wrong and we can help you out.

hmm... TGP in "auto handoff"  ... 
I have no idea i'll check. 

However, the mav does display the "handoff in progress" message, AND it even slaves to the intented target. 

But then the TGP has the "T" message , even though the missile is looking directly at the target 😞 

17 minutes ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

Ok well, it works, sometimes. 

Outside of 10nm is a no go though (handoff) , and if the handoff doesn't work first try you're in for a world of hurt. Either the TGP gets stuck, or the AGM65 cant change to bore/vis anymore. 

It works sometimes but it seems very very buggy still. 

If the handoff doesn't work on the first try, you need to follow @Furiz's advice from a few comments up:

12 hours ago, Furiz said:

Edited by Machalot
added quotation
  • Thanks 1

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

31 minutes ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

Ok well, it works, sometimes. 

Outside of 10nm is a no go though (handoff) , and if the handoff doesn't work first try you're in for a world of hurt. Either the TGP gets stuck, or the AGM65 cant change to bore/vis anymore. 

It works sometimes but it seems very very buggy still. 

The TMS UP command puts the TGP in Point Track mode and you can not slave, to make it slewable again you have to TMS Down once, then TMS right to go to Area Track mode, then you can slew it again. Also you can do TMS down and TMS up with the TGP to re-initiate handoff, you don't have to move anything.

Edited by Furiz
  • Thanks 1

TMS Down once will put the TGP in INR mode, TMS Down the second time and TGP will go to Cursor Zero meaning it will look at the selected Steerpoint, when in INR mode sometimes u can not slew it so you have to TMS right to go Area Track and then you can slew, sometimes it just goes to Area Track mode automatically when you try to slew it, haven't figured out why.

• Like 1

Another way to retry after a failed handoff (Mav in Break Lock mode with a large gap in the crosshairs) is to:

1. SOI to Mav (DMS down)

2. then TMS down to reslave the Mav

3. then SOI back to TGP (DMS down)

4. then reattempt the handoff with TMS left.