Efficiency Questions

Shein

I've been searching, and even googling but no luck with the following questions.

In the interest of saving as much gas as possible, what is the most efficient take off and climb in the Eagle to FL370? (combat ceiling)

I saw the grim reaper's video on combat climb, but that's all.

Is there ever a time where 3 bags are worth it? or is the drag from the center bag just always negating the benefits?

What is best endurance in the eagle at 370? I understand a lot of these answers are dynamic based on atmosphere, weight, etc but I just need some guide lines to go on.

Anything regarding performance, charts or documents etc, would be appreciated.

As for the bags, no theres no need to take 3 bags in a typical DCS evntironment. The CL tank is just so draggy. Unless you really need the range, dont.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

I've been searching, and even googling but no luck with the following questions.

In the interest of saving as much gas as possible, what is the most efficient take off and climb in the Eagle to FL370? (combat ceiling)

I saw the grim reaper's video on combat climb, but that's all.

MIL Power: Climb at 300KIAS (pitch for it) and switch to M0.9 when 300KIAS and M0.9 intersect (ie. you'll be at 300KIAS and M0.9 simultaneously). At this point your IAS will drop while you maintain M0.9.

MAX POWER: Climb at 350KIAS (again, pitch for it) until M0.95 crossover, then maintain M0.95.

These are just the standard climb profiles, obviously there are others that will server a specific purpose.

Is there ever a time where 3 bags are worth it? or is the drag from the center bag just always negating the benefits?

Yes, if you need a LOT of loiter time or long transit which you will be performing at speeds where drag hurts less - ie. 250-300KIAS.

What is best endurance in the eagle at 370? I understand a lot of these answers are dynamic based on atmosphere, weight, etc but I just need some guide lines to go on.

Anything regarding performance, charts or documents etc, would be appreciated.

You can find the -1 online. Ballpark best endurance is to fly at 14 units of AoA, IIRC. Don't quote me on that, going by memory. More accurate figures you'll have to compute yourself.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

This is what I was looking for, Thanks!

MIL Power: Climb at 300KIAS (pitch for it) and switch to M0.9 when 300KIAS and M0.9 intersect (ie. you'll be at 300KIAS and M0.9 simultaneously). At this point your IAS will drop while you maintain M0.9.

MAX POWER: Climb at 350KIAS (again, pitch for it) until M0.95 crossover, then maintain M0.95.

These are just the standard climb profiles, obviously there are others that will server a specific purpose.

Yes, if you need a LOT of loiter time or long transit which you will be performing at speeds where drag hurts less - ie. 250-300KIAS.

You can find the -1 online. Ballpark best endurance is to fly at 14 units of AoA, IIRC. Don't quote me on that, going by memory. More accurate figures you'll have to compute yourself.

No need to find the -1 for this - this information is reproduced in the DCS F-15 manual:

12 units AOA may be used for maximum range and 14,5 units AOA may be used for maximum endurance for all operating altitudes.

Also in the DCS F-15 manual (which is also the same as what's given in the -1):

If at MIL power, climb at 350 knots to 0.90 Mach, then maintain 0.90 Mach.

If at MAX power, climb at 350 knots to 0.95 Mach. If Mach increases above 0.95 at 40° pitch attitude, hold 40° and allow the Mach to increase (Mach will rise only slightly before returning to 0.95).

Control climb speed by varying pitch angle.

I recommend skimming through the DCS F-15 manual in general - some useful tidbits in there!