Dilemma : Beta/Stable Version

rapid

Hi Guys,

I am caught in a little dilemma. I brought the Syrian Map and now the WH2 I understand that they both run only on the Beta version of DCS World.

I do not really want to run two versions of DCS so question is:

1: How long (is a piece of string:cry:) before the new DCS World is released will it be soonish?

2: If the stable version is more or less ok would it be safe to install and uninstall my currant version of DCS - Stable version?

Just your thoughts on this please would be much appropriated.

Rapid

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

No one can really answer how long it will take for the new map and module to move from beta to stable. That determination is made by ED. When they feel the build is stable enough to move it, then they will. The real question you have to ask yourself is; 'Am I patient enough to wait or do I want the new things now?' Beta comes with risks. It could break certain pieces of the sim that may frustrate you. If you can live with that, then go for it, but if you prefer a more stable experience, then stick with stable. The open beta is not meant to be the primary user branch, but for mass user testing and bug reporting.

There is also a utility that allows you to switch between open beta and stable with relative ease made by Skatezilla. I don't have a link to the post, but I'm sure someone will come along and post it shortly.

Edited by Repth

No one can really answer how long it will take for the new map and module to move from beta to stable. That determination is made by ED. When they feel the build is stable enough to move it, then they will. The real question you have to ask yourself is; 'Am I patient enough to wait or do I want the new things now?' Beta comes with risks. It could break certain pieces of the sim that may frustrate you. If you can live with that, then go for it, but if you prefer a more stable experience, then stick with stable. The open beta is not meant to be the primary user branch, but for mass user testing and bug reporting.

There is also a utility that allows you to switch between open beta and stable with relative ease made by Skatezilla. I don't have a link to the post, but I'm sure someone will come along and post it shortly.

Thanks for the reply just posing the question really hence why I said How long is a piece of string!:D

Your reply has been must helpful anyhow. Cheers.

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

You don't even need that tool to do that. You can just use the DCS updater included in your DCS installation to switch from stable to open beta.

Opening a Command Prompt:

(There are a few ways to Open a Command Prompt, however, as some users have some Windows Features Disabled, Some Methods may not be available.)

The Common Command that works on all versions of Windows is:

WindowsKey+R (WinKEY+R), In the Run Dialog box, type: "CMD" , Press OK

attachment.php?attachmentid=107414&stc=1&d=1416024227

You Should now Be Presented with the Microsoft Windows Command Prompt

attachment.php?attachmentid=107415&stc=1&d=1416024227

Moving to the DCS World Command Directory.

In your command Prompt Window, you should see the first command line as “<root>/Users/<username>” or “<root>/Documents And Settings/<username>”

Type:CD\

Press Enter.

The Prompt Should Change to C:\ (or <root>:\ if your windows/documents folder is located on another drive).

*Note, If you installed DCS World onto a Different Drive, Type “x:” and press Enter, Where x = the Drive Letter you Installed DCS World onto.

Type: CD PROGRAM FILES\EAGLE DYNAMICS\DCS WORLD\BIN\

Press Enter

(Alternatively, You can use Windows Explorer, Navigate to the Main DCS Folder, Hold Down Left Shift, and Right Click on the /Bin Folder and Choose Open Command Prompt Here).

attachment.php?attachmentid=111822&stc=1&d=1421888467

The prompt should now change to the DCS World Command Directory,

*Note If you installed your DCS World In another Folder, You must type the path to your \DCS World\Bin\ Folder

attachment.php?attachmentid=107416&stc=1&d=1416024227

Now that your are in the DCS World Command Directory, Move on to the next step.

[...]

Updating or Switching an Install Between "Open Beta" and "Release" Version Branches:

In the Command Prompt Windows type: DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Appreciate all the replies all are very useful.

IMO no big downside to using beta. I've never been bothered enough by a beta bug that it was a show-stopper to me. On only one or two occasions over the last 5 years or so have I delayed an update for a day or two to wait for a hotfix before updating. Really not a big deal. And the benefit is getting planes, maps, new features and even bug fixes weeks to months ahead of Stable. Kind of an easy decision, for me.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

I have both version, but i mainly keep Beta updated, i haven't updated stable for a long long time, only once did i swap to stable because something bugged me in Beta, and i can't even remember, i think it was when the Harrier came out or has something to do with the M-2000c, so it's been a long time ago. I personaly wanna have acess tu new stuff soon and don't mind a few bugs here and there, than the long wait to see it pop in stable.

I've had it crash only once in open beta, and sometimes it hangs on start. But apart from that it's fine. There are bugs though. If you can live with bugs (they do mostly get fixed every few weeks or so), go for it. Expect to have to download a multi-hundred megabytes of update data every few weeks or so though. Not fun if you're on a metered connection.

I see no reason to run stable. Stable is just an older OB. New stuff is in OB. The bugs are really not worse and there were times when both were the exact same.

I still have stable installed, but havn´t updated it for over a year. Still only have it cause I always forget to remove it :D

Wow nice replies in regards to the For and Against dilemma.

Will over view what has been suggested.

I thank the DCS community for their support.:thumbup:

Rapid

You don't even need that tool to do that. You can just use the DCS updater included in your DCS installation to switch from stable to open beta.

Good grief! All that process instead of one click in Skate's Utility? Hmm...

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box