The High-End Battle Royale Pedal Shootout

Been mainly using the crosswinds but find I have to re-calibrate them with their software every few weeks.

My Crosswinds do this as well from time to time, perhaps less than a few weeks but they can start to misbehave, usually the brake pedals.

Recal them and their good to go again, they've been like that a long time. Be nice if it didn't happen but it doesn't bother me so much

Got a Buddy who also has them and his are the same

I guess I have been fortunate because I have not experienced this behavior. I have heard of this and seen videos of Crosswinds owners who experienced epoxy failure but my personal set has been flawless.

Yeah same experience here with the Crosswinds.

They have been flawless for me , running since Dec 2015.

Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | 

In that time Don, did you regrease your bearings or replace any parts?

One of the best ways to appreciate the beauty of the Multiverse is to learn the language in which it is written, ...... mathematics. 

i9-10940X - ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega - 64 GB 3600 MHz - Testing RTX 3090 and 6900 XT - VKB Kosmosima SCE - CH Franken Potato Pro Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Reverb G2

JayTheSkepticalEngineer.com

In that time Don, did you regrease your bearings or replace any parts?

No I have not.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | 

For all users as a general guideline on pedal maintenance, I recommend every ~ 150 hours or so of flying or twice a year (whichever comes first). Check the bearing rotation and seals. Relube if needed. Check the springs for stretch or degradation. Use a torque wrench if you have one to check all the bots and fasteners, and torque them to the recommended specs.

One of the best ways to appreciate the beauty of the Multiverse is to learn the language in which it is written, ...... mathematics. 

i9-10940X - ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega - 64 GB 3600 MHz - Testing RTX 3090 and 6900 XT - VKB Kosmosima SCE - CH Franken Potato Pro Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

Miguel sent me a question asking about fitting a damper to the Thrustmaster TPRs. Miguel, the TPRs do not come stock with the proper hardware to fit a damper. You need to buy some custom bits and then fit it yourself. It took me about 15 minutes to drill the holes and set up the damper correctly. The best source of information for the mod is Greekbull and his thread here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/dcs-world-topics/input-and-output/thrustmaster-aa/234761-thrusmaster-tpr-hydraulic-damper-mod

• 1 month later...

Tanwis sent me a question asking about bearings in the Thrustmaster TPR pedal plates. Manwis, there are no bearings, ... it is metal riding upon metal. Those pedal plates are arguably the worst feeling of any high-end pedal set. 

Add me to the "crosswinds needing recalibration every few weeks" club.

Just the left brake axis, weirdly. And, just as weirdly, when it goes out of calibration it outputs something like 15%--68%. That is, there is always some residual left brake, and I cannot ever go to 100%. I notice that I need recalibration when I start to drift left on a take-off roll or when I spin right when I apply full brake during landing.

Had the pedals since 2015, and only noticed it over the last year or so.

If you choose a highend rudder like Virpil's, with hall sensors on all axis, you just calibrate it once and never need to touch it again. Calibration data gets stored on the device's firmware.

vpc-301_01_1.png

Edited by Alec Delorean

i9 10920X @4.8GHz, 3090 OC, 64 GB RAM @3600, Valve Index, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with FFB base mod (G940)

Been running my Crosswinds since Dec 2015, so far have not had a need to recalibrate other than of course when I built this new PC in Jan 2019.

Don B

Crosswinds here as well, and the right brake axis needs recalibrating every couple months. Wish it didn’t do it, but I bought them second hand so I don’t feel like it’s the end of world. If I win the lottery, I’ll buy a fancier set of pedals. 🤣

On 12/6/2020 at 9:42 PM, Aurelius said:

Tanwis sent me a question asking about bearings in the Thrustmaster TPR pedal plates. Manwis, there are no bearings, ... it is metal riding upon metal. Those pedal plates are arguably the worst feeling of any high-end pedal set. 

I actually like the feel of the TPRs. I dislike any rudder pedal arrangement that requires you to move your whole leg, rather than just pivoting on your heel. But it's really just personal preference. 

You may want to update your above statement. TPR pedals are not "metal riding upon metal". There are two nylon bushings between each pedal casting and its pivot shaft.

Edit:  Maybe they forgot them on yours, because you would have seen them when you did the damper mod.

Miles

Edited by MilesD
  • Like 1

Now Shipping 1 thru 425 for current production version 1

PointCTRL General Information Post https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...54&postcount=1

PreOrder Wait List Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

7 hours ago, MilesD said:

I actually like the feel of the TPRs. I dislike any rudder pedal arrangement that requires you to move your whole leg, rather than just pivoting on your heel. But it's really just personal preference. 

You may want to update your above statement. TPR pedals are not "metal riding upon metal". There are two nylon bushings between each pedal casting and its pivot shaft.

Edit:  Maybe they forgot them on yours, because you would have seen them when you did the damper mod.

Miles

VKB rudders are "ankle only" movement pattern too, with better sensors than TPR, more sturdy, smaller footprint and pricetag around $220 + shipping. Great for helis and modern jets, not good at all for warbirds because of the lack of toe brakes.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3 TM MFDs | Realteus ForceFeel | 2x bass shakers

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - NTTR - PG - Mi8 - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II

On 12/9/2020 at 4:19 PM, MilesD said:

Miles

Miles, I checked my set carefully, and I do not have any nylon bushings. That said, I contacted another simmer I know to have the TPRs, and he indeed has the bushings. Bushings or no, I believe Thrustmaster cheapened out on their manufacture and the pedals feel a bit rough. They are not worth $570 or more (the price they were selling at before COVID-19 began).

On 12/9/2020 at 11:57 PM, Tundra said:

VKB rudders are "ankle only" movement pattern too, with better sensors than TPR, more sturdy, smaller footprint and pricetag around $220 + shipping. Great for helis and modern jets, not good at all for warbirds because of the lack of toe brakes.

Precision wise, the T-Rudder Mark IVs are right at the top. I sometimes use them after I run and am too lazy to slide my feet back and forth 🙂

Edited by Aurelius
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tundra said:

Yes, I completely agree Tundra. I have used the VKB's for about 3 years now and they are great, especially for Helo's where constant precise rudder input is critical. I like the TPRs for fixed wing because of the realistic pivot and brakes. It allows pilots to fly as most do in real life, heels on floor of the cockpit during flight, feet move and rest on the pedals during landing and taxi. That being said, Thrustmaster did cheap out on many components, especially for the price. I think it was a great design, but a very poor execution to save production cost. I am finishing up a mod for 24 USAF sets. They will provide higher deflection loads that represent the actual deflection/breakout force of the A10-C, without putting any additional stress in the already weak linkage system.

Miles

Edited by MilesD
  • Like 1

Now Shipping 1 thru 425 for current production version 1

PointCTRL General Information Post https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...54&postcount=1

PreOrder Wait List Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

Added a few small points and made two corrections. 

Edited by Aurelius

This review is being moved to a new arXiv like format (arXiv.org is the e-print repository for research conducted by many physical scientists). Apologies while the review is moved.