Intel vs. AMD

Please note Im talking about a 5800X (not the 5900X) which has all 8 cores on one die, this is why it is as fast in single threaded applications. Obviously the higher base clock speed is a result of that.

Let's see if I can dig up some benchmarks: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...00X/4086vs4085

Once more DCS users get their hands on these processors we should get some real world benchmarks. Don't get me wrong, Im sure the 5950X is great but it's gains will be very limited compared to the 5800X or even the 5600X in DCS World.

I know it's not going to be a huge difference...but I wanted the absolute fastest build. I think those gains while minimal now over the rest of Ryzen 5000 will be a lot more once we get Vulkan next year.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Depending on how multithreaded DCS is going to become, yes it might make a huge difference. Personally coming from a programming background, I know that simply running DCS legacy code through a different API (Vulkan for example, or DX12 as another example) is not going to make much difference here. Depending on optimization yes some gains will be had, but until we get DCS World 3.0 (or whatever it ends up being called) with an engine written from the ground up to take advantage of multithreaded processors, these gains will be minimal unfortunately.

IMO this is the single most important development that Eagle Dynamics can make to improve DCS World. However Im not sure that this kind of undertaking is even feasible. It would entail rewriting the whole engine from the ground up, which would entail the redesign of most of it's assets, not to mention campaigns, missions, and least of all modules. Both 3rd party and Eagle Dynamics.

I think that if DCS World 3.0 eventually comes around, it will not be compatible with previous versions and modules of DCS World 2.X.X.

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

userbenchmark is not an adequate information source anymore (dont ask, google if you doubt it)

I recommend to use other sites & sources to compare contemporary hardware until they fix their shop

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

MSI gives specific information about BIOS update on my B450 GAMING PLUS MAX Support page... Done! Following this method, it took me less than 10 mn to get back to Windows with an updated BIOS.

7B86vH7. Release Date 2020-07-24

How to flash the BIOS ( SOP Download)

We suggest using Chrome, Firefox 3.0 or IE 8.0 above browsers to download BIOS, Drivers, etc.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Ttime to upgrade my old PC rig for Reverb G2 and DCS. Debating over Intel I9-10900 and RTX 3080 OR Ryzen 9 5900X and RX 6800XT. Leaning towards the AMD system for its reported single-core performance, but have read much grumbling about AMD drivers. Anyone wish to advise me?

Ttime to upgrade my old PC rig for Reverb G2 and DCS. Debating over Intel I9-10900 and RTX 3080 OR Ryzen 9 5900X and RX 6800XT. Leaning towards the AMD system for its reported single-core performance, but have read much grumbling about AMD drivers. Anyone wish to advise me?

I highly recommend the Ryzen CPU...it has a pretty big edge over the 10900K...on the driver side where I was worried was on the GPU with past AMD Driver history and paired my 5950X with an RTX 3090 for the absolute fastest...compared to the 6800XT I would wait till January as Nvidia is supposed to release a 3080Ti with 20GB of VRAM, combine that with the Smart Access Memory that Nvidia is releasing I think it will give Nvidia even more of an edge

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

"AMD drivers" is one of those lame cliches that just won't die. There are some problems like at 5700XT launch, but they are mostly good, come out as regularly and reliably as the nVidia ones, and the interface is actually much nicer without having to give all your personal info to nVidia with GeForce Experience. I know, it is optional, but for example without it you don't even get auto-update of drivers. I use to run an AMD GPU, switched to nVidia, both have been good but I miss the AMD drivers if you can believe it... I am just so amazed how the internet community forgives nVidia in 2sec when a specific driver release is bugged, but when AMD has an issue we hear about it for years. There are only 2 GPU vendors, it's not enough competition as it is, why reduce your choices even more based on hearsay?

As for the CPU side I'm not sure why you are considering the Ryzen 9 for DCS? The game mostly uses one core heavily, I don't see the point in having 10 or 12 cores. You should get exactly the same performance, up to 1-2% based on turbo clock speeds, from a Ryzen 5 or 7 of the same generation. With some advantages like lower power consumption, so less heat in your system, remembering that those new GPUs (especially RTX3080/90 and RX6800XT) are outrageously power-hungry and will pose significant challenges to cool down. And will also make your gaming area incomfortably hot during the summer...

And drivers don't come into play for the CPU, Windows takes care about it, it's not like you are going to update your CPU/Mobo driver every month for a certain game release. Install and forget about it, therefore you should just pick the part that has the best performance in your budget. I've used both vendors over the years and never noticed any difference outside of pure system and gaming performance.

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

"AMD drivers" is one of those lame cliches that just won't die. There are some problems like at 5700XT launch, but they are mostly good, come out as regularly and reliably as the nVidia ones, and the interface is actually much nicer without having to give all your personal info to nVidia with GeForce Experience. I know, it is optional, but for example without it you don't even get auto-update of drivers. I use to run an AMD GPU, switched to nVidia, both have been good but I miss the AMD drivers if you can believe it... I am just so amazed how the internet community forgives nVidia in 2sec when a specific driver release is bugged, but when AMD has an issue we hear about it for years. There are only 2 GPU vendors, it's not enough competition as it is, why reduce your choices even more based on hearsay?

As for the CPU side I'm not sure why you are considering the Ryzen 9 for DCS? The game mostly uses one core heavily, I don't see the point in having 10 or 12 cores. You should get exactly the same performance, up to 1-2% based on turbo clock speeds, from a Ryzen 5 or 7 of the same generation. With some advantages like lower power consumption, so less heat in your system, remembering that those new GPUs (especially RTX3080/90 and RX6800XT) are outrageously power-hungry and will pose significant challenges to cool down. And will also make your gaming area incomfortably hot during the summer...

And drivers don't come into play for the CPU, Windows takes care about it, it's not like you are going to update your CPU/Mobo driver every month for a certain game release. Install and forget about it, therefore you should just pick the part that has the best performance in your budget. I've used both vendors over the years and never noticed any difference outside of pure system and gaming performance.

Well I'm already seeing reports of Driver issues...and the Card refusing to boost etc...so we'll see. No matter what competition is good. As far as the CPU the 5950X is absolutely faster than the other Ryzen 5000 series CPUs in DCS and elsewhere. Looks like the 5950X and 5900X are binned chips and able to hit speeds the others aren't...is it overkill? Maybe depends on what you are doing. I didn't want the best value. I wanted to fastest DCS VR rig without taking cost as a limiting factor. I'm pleased with my selections for that.

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Per these it's kind of a toss up. Depends on the game and how comfortable/good you are with overclocking and luck with silicon lottery. If I had the budget for a second rig I would like to compare the two. But nobody has done a specific comparison on DCS.

Now Steve also had some good benchmarks where a stock 5950X is beating his 10900K OC'd to 5.2 GHz on some games, which is very impressive, but depends on the game. RDR2 for instance seems to be partial to Intel.

Before I've always recommended Intel for gaming rigs for obvious reasons but now, I would advise whatever you can get the best price on the CPU, Motherboard, RAM package. This build season since the new AMD chips are gettting hyped so much I think you'll find better availability and prices on Intel, at least in the States.

The minimum recommended specs I would recommend if you are building a new rig is 10600K or 5600X paired with a 3070 or better along with 32 gig @ 3200 Mhz. You can build budget rigs for less than that, but the new consoles coming out will have better performance. Keep in mind the delta between the two is negligible and GN tests at 1080p medium settings to focus the benchmark on the CPU. At 1440p and 4K not much difference at all. It's a good time to buy CPUs.

As far as the CPU the 5950X is absolutely faster than the other Ryzen 5000 series CPUs in DCS and elsewhere. Looks like the 5950X and 5900X are binned chips and able to hit speeds the others aren't...is it overkill? Maybe depends on what you are doing. I didn't want the best value. I wanted to fastest DCS VR rig without taking cost as a limiting factor. I'm pleased with my selections for that.

The cores are identical so its only down to clock speed, given that core count is no factor in DCS. I've seen reports of 5950X boosting over 5,0GHz, while the 5600X seems to top out at 4,8GHz. Those 5% are all you are going to see, which seems like a steep premium for such a small difference. But I agree, if price is no question, you might as well get the best performing chip. I am just used to thinking more in terms of value proposition, to each his own. In my case it is better to save budget for the GPU, as this is the limiting factor in VR especially if you start cranking up that supersampling. In all the measurements I've made my older 2600X almost never limits my 2070 Super, so I have no doubt about a newer Ryzen 5000 chip being able to cope with all these new GPUs.

In the end it will boil down to availability as well for those looking to build a system now (which, IMHO, is not the right time given the high prices and limited availabilities of CPUs/GPUs).

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

The cores are identical so its only down to clock speed, given that core count is no factor in DCS. I've seen reports of 5950X boosting over 5,0GHz, while the 5600X seems to top out at 4,8GHz. Those 5% are all you are going to see, which seems like a steep premium for such a small difference. But I agree, if price is no question, you might as well get the best performing chip. I am just used to thinking more in terms of value proposition, to each his own. In my case it is better to save budget for the GPU, as this is the limiting factor in VR especially if you start cranking up that supersampling. In all the measurements I've made my older 2600X almost never limits my 2070 Super, so I have no doubt about a newer Ryzen 5000 chip being able to cope with all these new GPUs.

In the end it will boil down to availability as well for those looking to build a system now (which, IMHO, is not the right time given the high prices and limited availabilities of CPUs/GPUs).

Yeah it's not the best value buy. I will say with the 8700K I replaced, I see a nice big improvement Auth the 3090 of course but I was getting a CPU bottleneck...with the 5950X I'm not seeing that.

Under stress treats I've seen as many as 5 cores over 5ghz and two that come in right under 5.1Ghz. With the huge IPC advantage the AMD Chips have over Intel I think that's where it shines.

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

It's nice to see we actually have a choice now and tbh, either side ain't bad. Imho for gaming the difference is very small, maybe not enough to make a decision based on 130 vs. 134fps, it's more like what else do you do with your PC and how long do you plan to use it before upgrading the main components. Intel is cheaper if you only aim for gaming, if you aim for overall performance the 5000 AMD series has the better options...at a higher price. If you upgrade your GPU often, maybe PCIe v4 is a killer decision point in a year with new GPUs that "may" need v4 to shine.

If I upgrade Dec or January it will be AMD 5900 most likely, maybe 5950 if money allows, and a Gigabyte Master board, keeping my 1080ti for now and see what next mid range GPUs can deliver. I need cores for VMware, fast drives and throughput. That makes it easy for me to decide for AMD. But tbh, I am still finer with my rig, it delivers enough to have fun in any aspect.

Again, finally we have choices for CPU & GPU, that is NICE !

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

On the GPU side, I now believe it's better to wait for the next generation. Nvidia for the 3000 series still somewhat mailed it in. They put in a bit more effort as AMD was starting to close on the performance gap with the 5700xt but I'm sure they never thought they'd be able to match their rasterization performance...so they didn't go all out.

Lo and behold, that turned out to be foolish thinking. if AMD's claim about rDNA 3 turns out to be true and if recent history is any indication, there is no reason to not believe them, Nvidia will pull out all the stops and try to make a statement with the 4000 series which will probably blow out of the water any of the new cards.

These cards should be able to offer the performance we need without having to spend 1500usd

The problem is being patient.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

ok who here has this 5900x and would post the single core CineBench 23 test here on the boards..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

1645 with B550 board with PBO and some other settings. (3600 cl20)

My 5600x does 1632 with PBO and some other settings. (3000 cl16)

RAM timings are the bottleneck for CB atm.

We will test next week how that translates to DCS performance.

FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | SA342  R5 5600X | 32GB | RX 6800XT | TM Cougar | T-Rudder mk.IV | HP Reverb G2

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle USB standalone MOD