[RESOLVED] Jettisoning empty externals after AAR causes unrecoverable spin

Minni

Hello,

I've encountered this bug and it's been repeatable for quite some time now in MP and SP as well.

If you start your flight with empty external tanks loaded, hit the tanker and then jettison the bag your planes becomes an unrecoverable rollercoaster of death. This seems to be the case with the outerboard external tanks that for now have given me a five for five success rate in consecutive tests. The inboard external tanks, when loaded on their own without outer tanks, seem to be functioning as expected (ie. no violent spins) in my tests.

As shown in the video below, I start the mission from the air with outboard tanks installed and empty, refuel, disconnect when full and once I select JETT everything goes black. I had zero input on the stick or pedals (I forgot to enable the overlay before pushing jettison but I believe you get the idea since the violent jerk is immediate after jettisoning) and once the spin starts no amount of any input will recover the spin.

Below is a track of the recorded mission and a recording made in VR, sorry for the shakes.

Harrier_AAR_uncontrolled.trk

Similar thing happens with the Mirage as well in the same conditions.

Edited by Minni

I gave the Harrier another go. Or actually tens of them since I wanted to find out whether or not there is a sweet spot after which the spinning no longer occurs. It seems that if you AAR the empty externals from empty to full and spend over 1600 pounds of new fuel (1200lbs or less remaining per tank) it won't spin. Anything less than that used produces the spinning shown in the video and it apparently is more violent the less fuel used. At the 1300lbs per tank mark the plane doesn't exactly spin but starts... shaking. Violently.

I tested this with the same parameters as in the video: by spawning in air with the empty externals, refueling until full and jettisoning the tanks every 100 pounds until it no longer happened.

edit:

I recorded the 1300lbs and 1200lbs remaining per tank jettisons. At the 1200lbs one you can see the jettison itself doesn't induce any shakes but after that the plane has the rollrate of a Skyhawk on speed and it'll rip your wing off. Tracks below:

1300lbs Jitters

Harrier_AAR_1300lbs_jitters.trk

1200lbs smooth but rollrate flips to ludicrous

Harrier_AAR_1200lbs_smooth_but_rollrate.trk

Edited by Minni

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, the team and CB testers are having difficultly replicating this FM bug as it is a very isolated issue. We are experimenting and exploring options to rectify it.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RAZBAM_ELMO changed the title to [REPORTED] Jettisoning empty externals after AAR causes unrecoverable spin
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RAZBAM_ELMO changed the title to [RESOLVED] Jettisoning empty externals after AAR causes unrecoverable spin