Someone Please Invent a BETTER Headtracker

ED Tracker used the old PS3 though doesn't it? ...

No, ED Tracker is based in accelerometer, what theoretically is good, no LED, camera is required...but lack of 6DOF.

I find more trick to set than TrackIR - I tried both, and give up of both. :D

Sales site is is now offline, DIY instructions still available.

If you do go TrackIR, don't waste any money on the TrackClip Pro. It's wired, which is annoying; and fragile, which is worse. The few direct wireless replacements I've tried are, IME, just as fragile.

I've just replaced my TrackClip with a Delanclip Fusion. Seems pretty sturdy and works at least as well as the TrackClip Pro.

Agreed 100%, mine has been laying in a drawer since the day it arrived and i am just using the included one.

Supercarrier | Flaming Cliffs 3 | M-2000C | AJS-37 Viggen| MIG-21Bis | L-39 Albatros | Yak-52 | Spitfire LF MK IX | Mig-15Bis | Mig-19P Farmer | P-51D Mustang | F/A-18 | F-14 | F-5E Tiger II | C-101 Aviojet | I-16 | UH-1H Huey | Mil MI-8tv2 | Sa 342M Gazelle | Combined Arms | NS-430 Navigation System | NEVADA | Persian Gulf | Normandy1944 | World war II assets pack | Black Shark 2 | F-5E Agressors ACM campaign |F-5E Agressors BFM Campaign | L-39 Albatros Kursant Campaign | DCS:Syria

My old TrackIR 5 with clip Pro didn't get any problems. Clip was permanently attached to headphones that were used almost every day, dropped how many times that I don't know and I always feared that clip gets broken as it was suppose to be fragile.

First month I used the hat clip, doing it to be unreliable for accuracy, and annoying problem with TrackIR was always the direct sunlight at background, worst was that regardless curtains a white reflective surfaces created hotspots.

Before TrackIR I did use noirtrack and various method to get experience is TrackIR usable.

The best there would be without VR or IR is a similar as military helmets, magnetic field tracking.

But, I think that even cheaper would be to use Tobeii eye tracker or something if just get it work better in today's software.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

This is not looking like it's fragile. And it is a full copy in dimensions of Pro clip, except it's wireless.

[ATTACH]249052[/ATTACH]

My TrackClip Pro's clip cracked and broke after six months; by that point the LED arm was held on by electrician's tape and wishful thinking. My wireless replacement(looks like the one you're holding)'s clip snapped after another six months (the LED arm is far sturdier than the original, though). YMMV.

All these comments lead me back to my original question - Why can't someone invent an entirely different system of head tracking. The most promising seem to be ones using your phone but it still needs tweaking.

The phone needs to be plugged in to something.

The phone needs to be attached to a 1/4 inch thick laptop lid.

The trend in laptops has reached ridiculous. Every company bragging about how small and how lightweight they made theirs

Those are the last things I could care less about!

I don't want one that has all the components crammed in it, so you can't work on it.

I'd rather it to be sturdy and fat and heavy with over a 17" screen

So now gaming laptop companies are making the bezel around the screen smaller on a 17" to make it overall smaller, I guess so snowflakes can carry it somewhere without hurting themselves. Some, like Ausus are leaving out the webcam so the bezel can be small. That's if you can find 17" laptops these days.

Point is: A narrow bezel makes TrackIR's legs hang over the screen obstructing your view.

All these comments lead me back to my original question - Why can't someone invent an entirely different system of head tracking.

Because the current ones work absolutly fine? I'm using my TrackIR for 7 years now and never had any issues with it. :dunno:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Have used TrackIr for over ten years...still the best!

Also use this to beef up the Track Clip Pro....

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2033707

Printed with Carbon Fibre.

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

I’ve had TrackIR 5 for 10 years now. It’s always worked perfectly and was plug and play right out of the box. No fiddling around with it was required. Based on that I don’t think the technology could be improved upon or not in a way which would be worth the cost.

Will the Track IR5 camera fit snugly onto a screen that is only 1/4 inch thick?

Yes, I have mine mounted to a very thin screen.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I too have been using TrackIR 5 for many years with no problems.

If you know of a solution that's so superior, maybe you should develop it yourself and make a lot of money?

And if you really want a big heavy computer with a large screen that isn't portable... buy a desktop. Laptops are small and light because the whole point of a laptop is to be small, light and mobile.

I too have been using TrackIR 5 for many years with no problems.

If you know of a solution that's so superior, maybe you should develop it yourself and make a lot of money?

And if you really want a big heavy computer with a large screen that isn't portable... buy a desktop. Laptops are small and light because the whole point of a laptop is to be small, light and mobile.

No, Actually, the point of a laptop is to be compact compared to a desktop, not compact compared to another laptop. And that is where the state of laptop marketing is at unfortunately.

Maybe YOU have been using Trackir for years with no problems and that's fine.....but the topic at hand here is not YOU. It's ME and MY circumstances.

And I don't use a desktop, as was mentioned in the first post; and the root of what this is all about.

There is a lot of room for invention here, btw. For instance, as I fist said. To have the built-in webcam in the computer used instead of an external camera. No extra cables needed no USB ports wasted.

Whoever invents that with equal usability to Trackir or Delan or TrackHat will make a fortune.

Well to answer your first post....there is no better head tracker then TrackIr. Jury rig all the PS camera's and stick on clips you like, TrackIr is pretty much on top of the pile.

The TrackIr camera is very light with the mount being extremely adaptable. It will fit your narrow monitor bezel.

Oh and you do get what you pay for!

Edited by MustangSally

Well to answer your first post....there is no better head tracker then TrackIr. Jury rig all the PS camera's and stick on clips you like, TrackIr is pretty much on top of the pile.

The TrackIr camera is very light with the mount being extremely adaptable. It will fit your narrow monitor bezel.

Oh and you get what you pay for!

+1.

TrackIR is simply the best. No problems at all once you have created a good profile:

Used ED Tracker Pro before. Only 3 DoF and after something like 15 minutes it starts drifting. No joy...

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

No, Actually, the point of a laptop is to be compact compared to a desktop, not compact compared to another laptop. And that is where the state of laptop marketing is at unfortunately.

Well nobody is making bigger heavier smartphones either... :music_whistling:

Ever considered just having a larger external monitor connected to the laptop? A 17” screen is pretty small for a flight sim and it would likely be more ergonomic.

There is a lot of room for invention here, btw. For instance, as I fist said. To have the built-in webcam in the computer used instead of an external camera. No extra cables needed no USB ports wasted.

Whoever invents that with equal usability to Trackir or Delan or TrackHat will make a fortune.

If the product was just software based instead of requiring hardware. It would just get pirated. And it would be competing with freeware (probably pirated too) software. I wonder if that’s why NaturalPoint uses its’ own camera. Also just look at the size of the camera itself. It’s clearly different than a simple webcam.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

The topic at hand is you wanting to find a better head tracker than what you've been using.

Quite a few people here have suggested the main one, TrackIR, which you apparently haven't even tried. If you don't want to hear what people have to say, just don't ask the question.

EDIT: Your main point is that there shouldn't be any need to use a clunky PS3 camera. TrackIR has been out for a long time and doesn't use a clunky PS3 camera.

And the reason they can't just use a built in webcam easily is that that type of head tracking uses infrared, not visible light. The ones that use visible light tracking just aren't accurate because it's much harder to track a flat human face than it is to track three bright points of IR light.

Maybe YOU have been using Trackir for years with no problems and that's fine.....but the topic at hand here is not YOU. It's ME and MY circumstances.

And I don't use a desktop, as was mentioned in the first post; and the root of what this is all about.

Edited by Sabre_Ewan

Ever considered just having a larger external monitor connected to the laptop? A 17” screen is pretty small for a flight sim and it would likely be more ergonomic.

I tried that but then I had the problem of where to mount the monitor without a desk. You see, I'm not like you guys who have a special area set up with desks and in a comfortable swivel chair. I'm on a couch and my head is probably a lot closer to the screen. The laptop is on a Logitech N700 lapdesk with fan and speakers but always moving to some small degree even when not being intentionally moved.

The topic at hand is you wanting to find a better head tracker than what you've been using.

That's close but not it. I was asking about a new invention altogether. I think the current head tracking system should be retired for the next generation of technology.

I already knew about every head tracking device available already mentioned here except the one that is used through a phone. That one has promise.

Back in the day when trackIR wasn't yet a sim mainstream devise I used one of these strapped to a headset. Worked great in original IL-2, and Janes F-18, as long as you have mouse view or the game is mouse compatible with TIR. The gyroscopic concept was quite brilliant, very smooth and controllable, scaling could be an issue if you can't set a ratio via software. The gyration guys had zero interest in developing it as a gaming devise, but they were kind of curious on what I was doing with it.

https://www.gyration.com/

That was nearly twenty years ago, mouse hasn't changed much, basically plug and play. There is a trigger to activate that needs to be continually pressed to keep the gyro's/mouse active. I also hardwired power to it for prolonged use. All that's ever been lacking is software to tune it in game, unless they fixed it, like I said been nearly twenty since I messed with one.

Also one hell of a hand held mouse.

I tried that but then I had the problem of where to mount the monitor without a desk. You see, I'm not like you guys who have a special area set up with desks and in a comfortable swivel chair. I'm on a couch and my head is probably a lot closer to the screen. The laptop is on a Logitech N700 lapdesk with fan and speakers but always moving to some small degree even when not being intentionally moved.

Maybe something like this? Keeps your laptop still so the camera won’t fall off.

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32877258619.html

I was asking about a new invention altogether.

Since there is already freeware which does head tracking, the incentive isn’t there for anyone to develop similar payware. That’s the trouble with freeware, it blocks anyone from wanting to develop anything new.

Edited by SharpeXB

bulk trackir is now on ebay at 70 usd

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

TrackIR has lots of problems. It can't coast through interruptions in LOS. There is no parallax calibration. When track is lost output freezes instead of returning to center. The dots are indistinguishable leading to inaccurate readings. Recentering is not automatic. The range of motion is limited. It only has one camera. The licensing practices violate anti-trust. TrackIR has lots of problems.

TrackIR has lots of problems.

Yeah well without TrackIR, flight simulation as we know it would cease to exist. It’s the single most essential peripheral there is. Without head tracking available in a reliable commercial product, this hobby would be a dead as the dodo bird.

TrackIR has lots of problems. It can't coast through interruptions in LOS. There is no parallax calibration. When track is lost output freezes instead of returning to center. The dots are indistinguishable leading to inaccurate readings. Recentering is not automatic. The range of motion is limited. It only has one camera. The licensing practices violate anti-trust. TrackIR has lots of problems.

As apposed to all the other garbage out there??? Yeah right!

I know this doesn't help you, but I have been using a Trackhat (clip) for about 3 years now and it's every bit as good as TrackIR for 1/5 the price. And before the TrackIR 'fanboyz' jump on me, I had a TrackIR before the Trackhat, but it's so flimsy it broke when I swatted a mosquito. Of course they wouldn't replace it either. Trackhat has been rock solid ever since.

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth